Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airis T920, Garmin Nuvi 310 or Tomtom one europe

Options
  • 24-03-2007 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Guys I have been researching gps and came across these three. I'm trying to find out which of the three has the best overall Irish coverage, including POI etc. The airis t920 is e245 only on pixmania, tomtom one europe is about e335 while the Garmin nuvi 310 is about e320 http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=261&xSec=1

One thing I can't find out is the cost of upgrading the maps on each system, if at all possible.

I read here that navteq are currently the best maps for Ireland, is that true?

I'd appreciate any feedback on any of the systems, or even others in a similar price range, the maximum I am willing to spend is e350.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stephend2006

Both the Airis and Garmin use the same Navteq maps, the differences are really only with the extra features on the Garmin, like mp3 & audiobook player, travel guides, calculators, picture viewer, etc.

So if you want a sat nav with all the bells and whistles go for the Garmin.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 300, but personally the extra features are not worth it, I also had a Tomtom, and Route 66 Chicago. Tomtom maps are very out of date, Route 66 use the latest Navteq (in fact they get the latest maps first) but the on/off button is problematic instead of putting the unit to sleep it completely turns the unit off.

Personally, I'd go with the Airis, you get a good gps sat nav with the same maps as the more expensive units.

With regards to Navteq's coverage, it's great. I've only come accross three roads that are not covered fully: the new road between Lucan and Clondalkin, part of the new motorway coming into Cork, and part of the new road to galway from dublin.

The tomtom unit I tested doesn't have my estate which was built almost 4 years ago.

Good luck

- Steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks for replying.

I think I read somewhere that the Airis T920 uses a custom version of navteq maps so it may be harder to upgrade in the future, that's why I was considering the Garmin 310. Do you know what the difference is between the Garmin 300 and 310, and how much they charge for updated maps?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stephend2006

The only difference between the 300 and the 310 is that the 310 has bluetooth.

I'm not sure about this but apparently map updates are free, however additional maps can be quite costly.

- Steve

Thanks for your help. I think I'll go for the Garmin nuvi 300 Uk & Ireland version, as I don't need bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Nephew wrote:
    Thanks for your help. I think I'll go for the Garmin nuvi 300 Uk & Ireland version, as I don't need bluetooth.
    Thats what im doing Nephew when you look at the bones of what you get really if your honest all you want it for is the maps not blue tooth mpg player etc ok it may not be big enough memory o get east and west europe on it at a later date but really how aften do we take trips to poland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Do yourself a favour and get a TomTom , the UI is far superior to garmin and the maps are not out of date .

Sharkman, I thought that the tomtom one europe (New Edition V2 - Europe) and the nuvi 300/310 (V9 GB & IRE) both had the same map coverage of Ireland?

I read somewhere that tomtom are a lot more expensive for newer map updates than garmin, this would kind of influence my decision on the one I buy.

Wexford, I can't see myself driving around Poland any time soon when the price of rickshaws is so good. The last time I was there we got a guy to pull us (3 guys totalling 43 stone) around Krakow, mostly uphill too, for about 35minutes for like e3.50. A rickshaw ride down Grafton st would probably set you back at least twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

the extra mp3 and mpeg functions of the garmin unit might not be worth the extra money over the airis unit.the airis unit can be hacked to play divx mp3 etc.

i have the airis unit myself and have it hacked,its a great little unit tbh

edit: the airis unit will take a 4gig sd card too which is another plus

But can the maps on the Airis T920 be upgraded? My understanding was they use custom navteq maps so upgrading them in the future might not be possible.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

mmmm not sure on that yet,i have some usa and oz maps i have got.im going to have a look at it and see if i can load them onto it.

id be suprised if they cant be updated,where there is a will there is a way ;)

• Advertisement

:D
    Thanks SoBE

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgwils

Nephew, did you consider the AA Navigator Vive! + Main Roads Europe? It has the same screen quality, uses NAVTeq and has an MP3 player on top of all. Moreover, it costs less. So??:rolleyes:

I read some unfavourable reviews about the aa navigator on some British sites, so I think I'll avoid that particular model

I finally decided on the tomtom one europe v2, its approximately e302 including shipping from http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/ about e40 - 60 cheaper than pixmania and komplett.

edit/ even cheaper at e295 including shipping at http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=440&xSec=24

Let me know when you get it . I can send you on some voice files and POI's .

Jeez! Thanks very much, Sharkman. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭keanebg1

I decided on the 'tomtom one europe v2' also!

Picked it from Halfords in Liffey Valley on Friday evening. I only paid €299! Some kind of special offer on at the moment which is not advertised, even through they are displaying €349 on shelf you pay 299 :D

Its extremly easy to use and I agree the Navteq v9 maps are pretty much complete to the middle of last year. I did find 1 or two junctions I know have changed in recent months around Dublin which are not up to date. But it would be the same on any system - Garmin or other...

Sharkman - appreciate any Irish POIs you might have! I've been doing some searching on the net and there is a lot for the UK and europe, but not much for Ireland.

Check this site for POI's : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066420

I'm uploading mine to this and if we all do it we will have some good coverage . Also with speedcams going private this year it will be handy to share them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Is the TomTom not much bulkier thatn the Garmin, I was about to buy the Garmin 300 for the reason it was not as big, but am thinking about reconsidering now after reading this.

Does anyone know how much it would be to update to European maps or would I be better gettign that from the start?

Garmin Nüvi 310
    3.87"W x 2.91"H x .87"D (9.83 x 7.39 x 2.21 cm)

TomTom ONE New Edition Europe
    Dimensions: Width - 96mm, Depth - 25mm, Height - 82mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

SoBe wrote:
    mmmm not sure on that yet,i have some usa and oz maps i have got.im going to have a look at it and see if i can load them onto it.

id be surprised if they cant be updated,where there is a will there is a way ;)

Any luck with those USA and OZ maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Airis maps aren't proprietry. They use the standard R66 maps.

There seems to be a bit of debate about this - somewhere in the massive t920 thread I remember reading a post by someone who had contacted Route66 on this very point. They were told that they supplied Airis with special maps (Europe only) that would only run on the t920 but according to this post updates seem to work ok albeit with a bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

(7.0.)3285 is the software version, not the version of the maps.

7.0.1873 works just fine.

Maps go by date, eg:
    NAVTEQ Q2/2006 2006/5/8 ENGLAND + IRELAND

Trust me, they're standard R66 maps.

I'd just like to be 100% sure before splashing out on US maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eddiebutt

Do you know if there is as hack out there for the UK/IRE map for Airis T920 I have the maps installed but my girlfriend throw away the cd box with the product code in it by mistake before I could activate it

SoBe wrote:
    the extra mp3 and mpeg functions of the garmin unit might not be worth the extra money over the airis unit.the airis unit can be hacked to play divx mp3 etc.

i have the airis unit myself and have it hacked,its a great little unit tbh

edit: the airis unit will take a 4gig sd card too which is another plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

eddiebutt wrote:
    Do you know if there is as hack out there for the UK/IRE map for Airis T920 I have the maps installed but my girlfriend throw away the cd box with the product code in it by mistake before I could activate it

As said on the other thread you requested an activation code no one here can help you. If you have purchased these maps:confused: than the supplier will provide a new code once proof of purchase is provided I'd asume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MartinQ

The Airis T920 is not supported by Route 66 so there are not updates available. I have mine about 4 months and it is already out of date. Airis have changed to another software supplier so I would not recommend it.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

Martin > where have you seen that Airis has switched to another software (I guess iGo), have you some information or links ? Thx.

• Advertisement
Advertisement