Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions

Options
  • 24-03-2007 5:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Mods,

At the risk of being branded a snob or a jumped up git, why cant we have a sticky for all of the noob questions, like how can I get a licence for this ect.. It seems like every second day or so that there is a new post about this kind of lark.
    Make the sticky, and let the authorities that have the power to do so make the decisions who can and who cannot hold \whatever licences.
    Just getting a bit bored with the same Noob questions again and again. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You write it, I'll sticky it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Fair comment Civ,

I'll try pull something together over the weekend.

Anyone else out there feel like doing a little bit of service for the noobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Chopperdog

Sounds like a good and logical idea and in any other sport it would be.
    However this is Ireland and our sport is shooting, so what at first might seem
    fairly straightforward is in reality a mind bending mess of inconsistencies.

Pity the newcomer. He/She (pc)enters the sport and thinks, in all innocence, that to obtain a Firearms Cert, all you have to do is meet a set of carefully laid out criteria, wait a set time and then go shooting. Poor fools, nobody told them that they might have to make dozens of phone calls, write dozens of letters, grovel for an appointment with their local Super, in order that they can plead to him directly. Finally they might have to resort to legal action.

I applaud any attempt to clarify the Firearms Cert issue as indeed it doe’s generate a lot of questions. However when the law is applied in a bizarre and inconsistent manner, then questions will be asked, as indeed they should.

Currently I have two questions that I would like to see addressed and explained in a sticky.

(1) Is section 3(9) of the Firearms Act currently in force. If not when will it be in force.
    (2) How can x get a FC in twenty four hours while y is still waiting after six months.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Chopperdog wrote:
    Fair comment Civ,

I'll try pull something together over the weekend.

Anyone else out there feel like doing a little bit of service for the noobs?

The noob's are still waiting.
    What's up lad's :D

Talk about irony

I think its a good idea.. also think that maybe a couple of the stickies could go, given how crowded it is.

CDog, maybe a stick with posts that outline the process of getting a cert, minus comments about the guads thanks!

Then just a bit about each discipline. Doesn't need to be a thesis, just to point people in the right direction.
    I'll help if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Snobs!

Dvs.:rolleyes:

Bump! ;)

Also, mods, how about getting some of those stickies cleared up? Getting quite crowded and threads are being pushed off page 1 quite quickly - do we need three photo stickies?

Or else maybe a subforum that will split the competition & sport section from the political and other such stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Hey, just lookin for some quick advice.I'm going to buy my first shot gun tomorrow, subject to licence of course. I was told to go for a second hand under over double barrel. lookin to spend about 500 euro, will i get a decent quality gun for this money and is this the best type to go for? an other advice would be greatly appricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

:eek: Game or clays????

If it is not too late and you haven't both the gun look to a Baikal as a starter. I have one since I was 16 (bought second hand, butt ugly and indestructable, I am now 37. I use it for the field mainly pheasant. O/u or ss your choice. I also shoot with an auto (ducks and pigeons) keep away untill you are disciplined ( I have seen many an ar..e let fly with 3 shots after a bird and still miss. However if you go for an auto, plenty Berettas out there 303/301 all around 500 notes. Go up to 600/700 better choice new autos start at that price and some o/u field guns.

Take your time.....it's an investment

Enjoy...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Get a S/H berreta of browning would be my advice should be able to pick up something good that will start you off.

Most important thing is that the gun fits you. Wont hit anything if its doesnt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Most important thing is that the gun fits you. Wont hit anything if its doesnt!

Totally agree here. I was shooting last season with a gun that didn't fit me well, it was an expensive gun but couldn't hit crap.

Changed to the benelli and i am loving the fit

Advertisement