Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscription via Paypal Rant

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

padser wrote:
    Don't have time to read through the whole thread so stopped after first page - this may already have been suggested.

Why don't you simply set up an account and give out the account number like certain charities do.

No one can withdraw money with just an account number unless they are the registered drawer.

Then anyone who wants to subscribe can simply walk into a bank and deposit in the money into the account. They can simply put there username beside the lodgement (you get something like 12 characters to identify the money) and at the end of each month the bank will send out a statement to one of the admins with the amount and username deposited.
    It was already mentioned, but the main issue with this is the amount of manual work involved. Aside from having to run through the statement and ensure that each payment is accounted for, you will always get a couple of people for whom they never included the reference or scrawled it so badly that the teller just inserted gibberish. Then tonnes of time is required to try and find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hagar wrote:
    It took all my will power to resist making that comment myself.

What's wrong with accepting a standing order? There's no real effort required, just now and again spot check that none have been cancelled.
    While it seems like a decent enough idea, and someone getting a free ride for a month or two isn't a real problem (I assume), it can easily become a complete headache.

What happens when there are 500 standing orders coming in? Some are for monthly subs, some are for 6 monthly, others are yearly. How often do you spot check? How do you quickly and simply match users to standing orders?

A lot of it could be automated, but again I would personally feel it's something that can't be done unless/until there's someone looking after the affairs of boards.ie full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

oscarBravo wrote:
    Waitaminute - are you seriously saying you work for PayPal, but won't use their services to pay for something?

No, not saying that at all. I don't use PayPal because I don't have a credit card. If I did, then I would have absolutely no problem using it.
    --

I remember ages ago DeVore posted an in depth reason as to why cash and other forms of payment were not being accepted any more though I cant find the post now I do remember how much trouble he said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I'm just wondering how the admins set the users sub usergroup up to expire.

I know when you do it via vB with the paypal method it sets an expiry date as to when you lose the usergroup permissions etc.

Is it a case that an admin ticks the additional usergroup box on the users page and then notes when to untick it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is a whole section in the admin cp to deal with paid subscriptions. It's automated on the site that I run. All that it does is move the member to a different usergroup when they paid and when it expires it simply moves them back to their original usergroup.

This is vbulletin 3.6.0 we are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Beruthiel wrote:
    You can sing for your 10% missy.
    I might buy you a pint though....

YAY Vodka and DC! although tbh the 10% would be cheaper for you but I no complaining.

Sparky: don't be bringing chocolate. I cannot eat chocolate next Saturday and I don't wanna carry. *stomp* bring to me on the Sunday :D

/me does company search for boards.ie and finds out all sorts of interesting company informations.. ooohh I know all your addresses now!

Advertisement