Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150GB Raptor v. 500 GB 7200RPM

Options
  • 24-03-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Dell Dimension 4600 (2.8P4, 1GB Ram) with 160GB and 80GB WD hard drives. I want to use the 160GB drive in a P3 I have hooked up to the TV for watching movies (or even both drives!).

Question as follows:

Considering that storage space isn't vital, that my computer is no spring chicken, that I want an SATA drive I can bring to a future computer, and that I am not too concerned about the price difference, should I

a) Buy a WD 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive or,
    b) Go for a WD raptor 150.

The PSU in the computer is standard dell, will I need to see to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Hmmm... first check your BIOS and see if it supports native SATA, or even SATA2.

If you want speed get the Raptor, if you want storage space get the 500GB, if your mobo supports RAID0 i'd recommened getting 2x250GB drives and putting them in a RAID0 to get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I don't think that motherboard will take SATA tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

The motherboard has 2x SATA connectors. No onboard raid though from what I am aware. I'd be slow to go down the raid 0 route due to potential reliability and data loss issues.

I think I will probably give the raptor a skip, even though I like the idea of it. How reliable are these new high capacity hard drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You're right, sorry. I was thinking of 4500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Raptor is overkill for the tasks you outline you are better off with the 500GB HD, as for reliability no different from any other drive on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

maidhc wrote:
    I'd be slow to go down the raid 0 route due to potential reliability and data loss issues.

oh GAWD!!! that old turkey, seriously people need to get real about RAID 0. Although I suppose if you're the kindof person that doesn't get all the facts about a setup before drawing a conclusion on it then any type of RAID setup isn't for you.

What you need to do now then if you only want 1 drive is to check if your mobo has native sata, sata1 or sata2 support. There might be an option in the BIOS to switch from the SATA to PATA bridge to native SATA to give you better burst speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 d_advocatus

It's not reliability that is the problem with RAID0 it's setting the right stripe size for what you will be storing.

Advertisement