Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox softmod problem

Options
  • 24-03-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

A question for all you knowledgeable people is this xbox I was going to softmod turns out to have already had a softmod on it which has gone wrong. The softmod files where present on the HDD but not working as it would boot into the MS dash and play original games.
    When he went to install the ndure hack it basically asked him did he want to restore it to stock xbox/he choose to restore it from the HDD but it told him the files could not be found/so he choose to do it from the rescue disc. So what he gets now is the box will boot up with the xbox logo and then the screen goes black and that it, no error code, no message. I presume its waiting for the rescue disc to be inserted.
    I have had a look at Ndure's rescue disc but not sure what I need to do. I see there is empty folders but not totally sure what I need to put in these and from where.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can you still ftp into the XBOX? If the mod is still installed but messed up you need a softmod install CD like CASH
    Edit: Link removed due to T&C.
    If you can ftp in your best bet is to uninstall the mod and re-install if from scratch again. CASH has the stock, original C: drive files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Dont think I can still ftp but will check it out now. I have a copy of cash so will have a look also. Did you ever have to use Ndures rescue disc? as I am wondering how I would get it to boot up in the xbox. Would it just be a case of transfering the c:drive files into the c:folder on ndures rescue disc and burning it.
    IF I cant ftp is it possible to just take the HDD out of the shagged xbox and hook it up to the pc and transfer the c:drive that way

Thanks Ongarite

cubix wrote:
    Dont think I can still ftp but will check it out now. I have a copy of cash so will have a look also. Did you ever have to use Ndures rescue disc? as I am wondering how I would get it to boot up in the xbox. Would it just be a case of transfering the c:drive files into the c:folder on ndures rescue disc and burning it.
    IF I cant ftp is it possible to just take the HDD out of the shagged xbox and hook it up to the pc and transfer the c:drive that way

Thanks Ongarite

I havent used the softmod rescue disc but CASH is basically the exact same thing, its by the same guy.
    You just burn the ISO with Nero or ImgBurn. either CDRW or DVD+R.
    If you want to use the rescue disc, extract the stock C: files from CASH with QWIX and put them in rescue C: folder, put exploit game saves in E:\UDATA and create an ISO out of the files and burn again.

Another suggestion is to run the softmod again. Run the game and load the Linux checkpoint and it should launch the installer again and you will have ftp access to fix your dashboard or whatever.

Stuck the cash dvd in and cold booted the xbox but nothing, still just getting the xbox logo at bootup and then the screen goes black. I forgot to mention but my xbox(the working one)is both chipped (executer) and softmodded. The reason for both is because it was chipped first and then I softmodded to see if I could do it;) . So considering that it is chipped would it be possible to put the HDD from the shagged xbox into the chipped one and ftp c:drive files over from my pc. I have seen alot of posts about backing up your eprom, if this has not been done is it possible to read even after the event

Thanks

• Advertisement

Just read somewhere that the HDD psw key is in the eprom which is on the board of the shagged xbox. According to that tutorial you could make some kind of a eprom reader or put a chip in the shagged xbox. But if I take out the HDD from the shagged xbox and put it in my chipped one surely the chipped one will still be able to read and write to the shagged HDD. Because its a chipped xbox it does not need to know the HDD psw key?. And then when I take the shagged HDD out of the chipped xbox after reloading the c:drive onto it and put it back into the shagged xbox it should boot properly.

Cubix

cubix wrote:
    Just read somewhere that the HDD psw key is in the eprom which is on the board of the shagged xbox. According to that tutorial you could make some kind of a eprom reader or put a chip in the shagged xbox. But if I take out the HDD from the shagged xbox and put it in my chipped one surely the chipped one will still be able to read and write to the shagged HDD. Because its a chipped xbox it does not need to know the HDD psw key?. And then when I take the shagged HDD out of the chipped xbox after reloading the c:drive onto it and put it back into the shagged xbox it should boot properly.

Cubix

You have got me confued but I think you have it.
    Just plonk in the HDD from non-booting XBOX and FTP over original stock C: thats included with CASH and also ftp over the gamesaves to E:\UDATA. That should get it booting again and able to run the game to run the exploit.
    DO NOT UNLOCK/LOCK the HDD in your chipped XBOX or your fecked!!

I always thougth to get a HDD out of one xbox to work in another you need to do something with the HDD. Another words have the psw key, or is it because my good xbox has a chip in it that will allow the HDD out of the shagged xbox be reconised in it.
    Or is that whole unlocking/locking thing to do with putting in a bigger non MS HDD

Cubix

Yep its because your XBOX is chipped is the reason why you can just plonk in any IDE HDD in. In a soft-modded XBOX you need the eeprom to lock and unlock a new HDD.
    That is one of the advantages of a modchip. Overall from ease of use and potential to feck things up, softmodding is the best at the moment.

No joy, stuck HDD from shagged xbox into the chipped one but when I boot up the chipped xbox it boots up to flubber screen and then the black screen with various languages(Service required.Call customer support) and 06 in the top left hand corner of the tv screen. Also the large eject button on the xbox is flashing from green to red. Makes no difference if I cold boot it with the cash dvd in it.

Just to add because I have ftp a copy of c:+e: from the chipped xbox HDD to my pc could I not just connect up the shagged xbox HDD and transfer the files onto it from the pc or will the pc not reconise it?

Cubix

• Advertisement

Cubix I'm PM you so i can have chat over messenger.

Ok will have to set it up. Just to re edit my last post when I was getting the error code 06 I had the HDD from the shagged xbox in my chipped xbox but the chip was turned of. When I turned the chip on it was not able to boot past the flubber screen either with .

Does the CASH disc work on your modded XBOX with your HDD?
    If you are trying to fix the other HDD in your XBOX then you probably need Slayers 2.7 as that's designed for modchipped XBOXs and CASH is designed for soft-modded.

Havent got my hands on IDE pc but think I will go the xboxHDM/hotswapping route as it seems the most like to work. On another forum it was suggested to pull out the ide cable on the dvd drive to give a error code 11. I presume this keeps the HDD unlock long enough for XboxHDm to do its job. Anyways thanks for all your help

Cubix

Advertisement