Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route 66 Chicago 9000 Europa

• 24-03-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

I have the 9000 model, a problem with the unit surfaced on the day I bought it.
    The on/off button often failed to switch on the unit unless I did an initial boot by keeping the button held for 6 seconds, sometimes several
    resets were the only way the units responded, and sometimes the unit behaved normally !!!
    When the unit was working it did not fail but when switched off and on again right away, or later on it generally did not switch on, I emailed Komplett who told me to return the unit but I also emailed route 66 here is their response
    "Dear Sir,
    Please note that you should turn the device off by briefly pressing the
    on/off button. You must also make sure that the device is charged when you
    turn it on.
    If the problem persists please perform a hard reset on the unit. In order to
    hard reset the device please press the power button longer and at the same
    time insert the stylus into the reset button on the bottom of your device.
    Press both for a few seconds and then release it. Immediately after this
    procedure the device will start and you will be asked to calibrate the
    screen.
    In case you still encounter the same problem after the hard reset please run
    the software update for Chicago that is available on our website on the
    Support section"
    This seems to have worked and 5 days later the problem has not re-appeared so I will monitor the situation for a while
    The 9000 is my first GPS and I am very happy with it, its facilities are excellent, I have my doubts about its claimed 4.5 hrs working on its internal battery, the only thing I do not like it the lack of an ac adaptor, is there anybody here using a route 66 GPS that picked up an adaptor online or has views on the 9000 Europa
    One of the guys at work has a GPS running tele atlas and says that the Navteq mapping in the Chicago is better than his

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I have the 8000.I had a similar problem to you,it wouldn't switch on with a light press of the on/off button.
    They told me to run an update as it's one of the glitches that can be fixed by
    the update.
    While i was on the phone to route 66 i did a light press of the on/off and noticed that when i pressed the screen i could hear the clicking noise.
    I then turned it on with a hard press and went to the menu only to figure out
    i had turned off the backlight on the first day i got it and forgot to turn it back on,problem solved.
    I felt like such a tit and rightly so.

yep the lack of an ac adaptor is a pain in the arse,even to charge on my laptop the laptop needs to be fully on,and the european plug adaptor that comes with it,what the hell is that about.
    Is the tmc the only difference between the 8 and 9000?
    I didn't think the tmc worked in IRL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've the 8000 and also came across the same problem trying to switch the unit on. Only happened on it's first day of use. Thought I was doing something wrong and couldn't figure out what. Then it just came on and hasn't put a foot wrong since. I've installed the updates too. AFAIK the TMC function is the only difference between to two models.
    Have to say I'm very pleased with it so far and great value from Komplett.

As for the AC adaptor or lack of one something like this should do the trick. Pain in the arse leaving my laptop on while charging.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just stuck my unit into the usb slot on my Xbox 360 and while the Xbox itself wasn't on it's power supply, when plugged in, is in a sort of standby mode.But the good thing is it's sending power to the usb slots. So I don't have to leave my laptop on just to charge my sat nav. If macshadow or bogman(or anyone without a mains option supplied) has a 360 it's a way of charging these units without having to leave computers on.

My carbon footprint just got a little smaller.:D :D

Thanks for that info the tax man,i don't have an xbox but the adaptor on ebay looks the biz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement