Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths - Options???

Options
  • 24-03-2007 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭

hey this is a question for everyone doing HL maths : are all of ye doing the option on "further calculus and series"??or is there someone out there doing one of the other three options?:confused: it seems kinda pointless having options when over 90% do the same question!!! but then,they do look quite difficult....

Comments

Meh, it all seems hard until you've done some examples of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea its not called the option question in my class!

It's called the "compulsory" question :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

We're doing further calculus and I think what we are leaving out is further aritmetic and series type question . Trust me though further calculus is a doddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

further calc makes sense to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I always wondered whats goin on in those other questions, since theres no chapters covering those in T and T. Some of them look pretty cool tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

They are in a seperate texts and tests book , book 5 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

Heya yeh i'm stuck doing further calc too and tbh i think i would prefer to do any other option other than that one!does anyone know of any other type of maths book that has any of other other options in it? text and tests 5 only has the further calc&series option, does anyone else hate that book?
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I love it tbh, best question on the course.

Then again, I'm just a calculus junkie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I like the question for its reliability though it's far from my favourite. Ratios, MacLaurin Series and Int. By Parts are a delight! The Max/Min part's not too bad either... There doesn't seem to be too much variation from year to year in the question, MacLaurin nearly always seems to be part b, a pretty nice one overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

me2gud4u wrote:
    Heya yeh i'm stuck doing further calc too and tbh i think i would prefer to do any other option other than that one!does anyone know of any other type of maths book that has any of other other options in it? text and tests 5 only has the further calc&series option, does anyone else hate that book?
    :mad:
    the copy of text & tests 5 that i hav has the options on "further probability" and "groups"...its probably an older edition than the one you hav.
    "further probability" actually looks quite easy,but then i like probability whereas som cant stand it.."groups" looks interesting but difficult."further geometry" is on a separate leaflet,apparently..i would not even look at that option.geometry is not my strong point.
    i actually think the text & tests books are quite good...but the newer editions mightnt be as good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

We are using Discovering Maths by Oliver Murphy. Decent enough book. Only does Further Calculus option.

I think FCAS is great, my fave question for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

....so i take it everyone does FCAS then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Most people. We've Leaving Certificate Maths, by Aidan Roantree, dismal book. It only does Further Calculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

....so i take it everyone does FCAS then???
    I remember reading the chief examiners report for Maths for some year and it said like 97 or 99% of students did FCAS in it.

Advertisement