Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

have any of you been stopped and asked to lift bonnet

Options
  • 24-03-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

i have herd it but never had it happen to me

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Yes its done, to see if any illegal modifications have been made to a car.

Can also confirm engine size is the same as on tax disc. As in glanzas (1.3) and (1.3)turbo.

Also to check VIN number matches reg no, colour make model etc.

Gardai can seize the car also to have a Garda Mechanic make sure its roadworthty. Its called a PSV test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Where did you hear that, and why do you ask??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭sexy darren

and this is all random or wood that only go for certain cars

Hal1 wrote:
    Where did you hear that, and why do you ask??
    i ask because i herd of people insuring cars as 1.3 when they are 1.3 turbos or 1.8 when they are turbos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Chief--- wrote:
    Yes its done, to see if any illegal modifications have been made to a car.

How exactly would a Garda know if an "illegal modification" was made to a car? How would he know if any modification was made, he being a garda and not a technician? Certainly they don't train gardaí in spotting the difference between 1.3 and 1.8 engines in templemore.

Whether a glanaza has a turbo or not is completely irrelevant as far as the law is concerned. Insurance may be a different matter, but since the garda has no way of knowing if you disclosed all relevant information to the co, he is in no position to do anything about it at the side of the road.

Of course the gardaí can ask for the bonnet to be opened as part of their powers of search, but aside from drugs and firearms they have little business to do so.

• Advertisement

ya but wat about the traffic core and if they hear an induction kit wood thay not check the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

a garda psv inspector would be qualified to examine a car mechanically - i suppose theoretically if they really had it in for you they could report you to your insurance company, but then its up to the insurance company to do something about it

ya but wat about the traffic core and if they hear an induction kit wood thay not check the rest

The point is there is nothing illegal about an induction kit etc. There may be issues if the car sounds like a jackhammer, but otherwise your free to do as you will to it.

The insurance issues are untimately contractual, and once you have a valid insurance disc, the gardaí can't really do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

maidhc wrote:
    The point is there is nothing illegal about an induction kit etc. There may be issues if the car sounds like a jackhammer, but otherwise your free to do as you will to it.

In other countries (my totally bureaucratic fatherland for example) every single modification to a car (as in deveation from standard spec), be it sunroof, shiny gearknob,window tint, spoiler set or an engine mod needs to have either European homologation papers or a TUEV (NCT) cert. Engine and drivetrain modifications (even different size alloys!) have to be entered into the logbook and TUEV stamped.

So if you have your car modded, you need to carry a catalogue of paperwork with you at all times and some policemen make it their hobby to stop modders at the side of the road and go through the certs one by one.

If only one cert is missing or not the right one ...it's hand over the keys and walk home time :D

ok so say you had a 1.8 turbo and it was insured as a strate 1.8 or 1.6 say he nos this and takes car of ya would you get a driving ban or would he just take the car and pound it till you can prove ur insured

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

maidhc wrote:
    How exactly would a Garda know if an "illegal modification" was made to a car? How would he know if any modification was made, he being a garda and not a technician? Certainly they don't train gardaí in spotting the difference between 1.3 and 1.8 engines in templemore.

They do have eyes. They do have access to the NVDF at the side of the road. And yes they do train Gardai in the different types of commonly incorrectly declared engies. Matching all this with tax disc details and VIN numbers its amazing what they can find out.
    maidhc wrote:
    Whether a glanaza has a turbo or not is completely irrelevant as far as the law is concerned. Insurance may be a different matter, but since the garda has no way of knowing if you disclosed all relevant information to the co, he is in no position to do anything about it at the side of the road.
    Thats what summonses are for and why gardai take full details in their notebooks. So they can investigate when they are free to do so. Every insurance company has specific people who only deal with queries from gardai, from the information they receive they inform gardai whether a persons policy has been made void and act as witnesses in court cases. Say if somebody obtained a insurance certificate with a duplicate license, after they had been disqualified on their original license.
    maidhc wrote:
    Of course the gardaí can ask for the bonnet to be opened as part of their powers of search, but aside from drugs and firearms they have little business to do so.
    Not so, they are responsible for ensuring people are prosectued for having dangerously defective vehicles on the road and are trained to spot common dangerous defects. They can seize your car,drive your car, or require you to drive your car with them as a passenger. A PSV inspector would be required for a prosecution as a professional witness.

Gardai regularly ring insurance companies to find out insurance details. Just because you have a cert of insurance does not mean you are insured. Many people set up direct debits and get a cert for 12 months and then cancel the direct debit keeping the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ok so say you had a 1.8 turbo and it was insured as a strate 1.8 or 1.6 say he nos this and takes car of ya would you get a driving ban or would he just take the car and pound it till you can prove ur insured

I'd say he'd send you to spelling lessons.

SCNR :D

peasant wrote:

SCNR :D
    thanks for that 1 pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Chief--- wrote:
    And yes they do train Gardai in the different types of commonly incorrectly declared engies.

Thats not true, a mate has just finished his training in templemore and there was no training whatsoever in relation to car modifications and mechanics!

Ive heard about gardai referencing engine codes and car models with what they are actually insured as and prosecuting for void insurance.

I was asked to pop the bonnet at a checkpoint once before but it was only because the garda who was a mad rally nut wanted to chat about the car, I was there for 20 minutes with him :D

Chief--- wrote:
    Not so, they are responsible for ensuring people are prosectued for having dangerously defective vehicles on the road and are trained to spot common dangerous defects.

You know, and I know, that a garda at the side of the road is not going to spot a dengerous defect unless it is incredibly blatent. They won't go opening the bonnet looking for a frayed brake pipe, since they couldn't even get a prosecution on that unless it was within the knowledge of the owner! The offence is ultimately something prosecuted after an event, when the car is folded around something.

right my mate is getting a gsr lancer 1.8t he thinks he wont get caught if he insures it as a 1.8 seen as its 1.8 on the logbook wat could happen to him don't think he was even in trouble wit the cops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

right my mate is getting a gsr lancer 1.8t he thinks he wont get caught if he insures it as a 1.8 seen as its 1.8 on the logbook wat could happen to him don't think he was even in trouble wit the cops

The log book will only tell you what cc it is anyway, it never specifies whether it has a turbo etc.

Your mates an idiot he's knowingly falsifying his insurance details, and if/when he's caught he will be blacklisted by his insurance company and struggle to get insurance in the future.

thats wat i told him but how would any 1 no onless he crashed

They won't, but if that is his line of reasoning he may as well just print out an insurance disk on his injet at home. They are an easier document to forge than a bloody residents parking permit. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

maidhc wrote:

well im sure if he opens the bonnet he will see a big dirty inter cooler there and he will know the 17 year old:rolleyes: hasnt it insured as a turbo:cool:

I have been asked to open the boot before:eek: Maybe said garda thought the engine was in the back:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Interesting thread this.

A few thoughts:-

A tax disc for a 1.3 and 1.3 turbo Glanza are the same. They show the c.c. and do not differentiate on the engine's aspiration.

Anyone who knowingly makes a false insurance declaration is headed for trouble - eventually. A 1.8 turbo insured as a normal 1.8 is fraud. In the event of a claim 3rd party damages would be paid, but the insurer would very actively sue the insured to recover these.

Insurance fraud, not just in the motor area, is reckoned to costs many millions a year.

The Gardai would really need to know what has been declared to the insurer to make any sort of an informed roadside call on a modified car.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Do you want to be a passenger in a car thats involved in a crash? i doubt it for the following reasons..

1) Your not insured ..... even if you do get compensation from the Insurance Institute you WILL have to wait a LOT longer for it. expect a wait of at least 3 years.

2) Since you knew he wasnt insured you will get less for your injuries...(contributary)

3) If he has this attitute to insurance you can be damn sure he will leg it if and when he does have an accident

Uninsured drivers have caused untold heart ache for the people they have killed and maimed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've heard of a few lads with E30 BMW's around at home getting done for having 318 or 320 on tax book and 325 lumps under the bonnet.

Proper order too, fraudulent insurance is a waste of time for everyone concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

You can also get custom & excise requesting to inspect under the bonnet if they suspect fraudulent documentation particularly on an imported cars, also if they suspect that a diesel car has been using farmers diesel they can request for fuel samples taken from the fuel filter or pump if they believe that theres a false tank installed. They are worse than the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

quite apart from the OP typing everything here on a mobile :rolleyes: the simple fact remains: we don't have a TUV and there is no such thing as an 'illegal modification'.

Undeclared, yes, illegal, no.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

"have any of you been stopped and asked to lift bonnet"

Yea, The guy had a big gun and I didn't argue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

peasant wrote:

Wood he? ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

galwaytt wrote:
    quite apart from the OP typing everything here on a mobile :rolleyes: the simple fact remains: we don't have a TUV and there is no such thing as an 'illegal modification'.

Undeclared, yes, illegal, no.

Incorrect. Lots of potential mods would make a car dangerous and illegal to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Incorrect. Lots of potential mods would make a car dangerous and illegal to drive.

Sorry, you're missing the point. A mod which would make the car dangerous could indeed be deemed to be 'illegal'. I'm not advocating bodge jobs.

However a mod, which does NOT make it dangerous, is legit, and there's nothing any Garda - or anyone else - can do about it. There are no laws to stopping you modding your car the the nth degree.

Thank God !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

go the hole weekend wit out people slagging for spelling mistake really mature lads I'm dyslexic so f*** you

Advertisement