Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to charge?

Options
  • 24-03-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

After working in a creche for awhile I've decided to go back to childminding. I am qualified in childcare holding a diploma in childcare and education, and certificates in other areas such as special needs. I live in a large rural town in the west and am unsure what I should be asking for money wise. If I could do it for nothing I would but at the same time I, like everyone else have bills. Can anyone give me a rough figure bearing in mind that it would probably be in the child/children's home either part-time or full-time.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Work out your costs, overheads etc. Then add a reasonable wage above the minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You have to rent or buy a place, pay for food, cots, blankets, desks, hangers, toys, nappies, etc. You have to have insurance. You have to pay employees - to have the correct balance of staff to nippers.

Did your diploma in childcare not include a business module?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

bearing in mind that it would probably be in the child/children's home either part-time or full-time.
    Thanks.

Not looking to start my own place just a bit of childminding. Would appreciate if any parents could let me know what they are paying childminder/nanny, so that I have some idea. I do know that it depends on the part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

why not try here http://www.childminding.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

HI Banner Girl.

This thread might help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036283

Childminding in the childs own home is a bit different though as you've no control over how many children you mind. A friend of mine had someone mind her kids in her own home and I think she was charging something like €80 per day and not a "per hour per child" fee (though this was a couple of years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

Thanks littlebug didn't see that one.

Advertisement