Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iced Earth Alive in Athens youtube vids

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They were a great band, but I kinda tuned out once Matt Barlow left and Jon Schaffer went up his arse supporting Bush.

****ing hell though, this sent a chill through me listening to it:

Phenominal song.

Makes it all the worse that Matt Barlow left, Ripper Owens was even worse as a replacement for Barlow than he when Halford left Priest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

****ing hell though, this sent a chill through me listening to it:

Phenominal song.

Makes it all the worse that Matt Barlow left, Ripper Owens was even worse as a replacement for Barlow than he when Halford left Priest.

Its megadeth until he starts singing :o they sound like marty friedman riffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

They were a great band, but I kinda tuned out once Matt Barlow left and Jon Schaffer went up his arse supporting Bush.

Was there a shift in direction after Barlow left? More political stuff that didn't belong in the songs?

I don't know much about Tim Owens but is the quote from his website justified? Somehow I doubt it, it is his website, hardly going to call it sh!te.
    The CD (Glorious Burden) has been loved by the press and said to have been the best Iced Earth CD yet.

I think it'll take me a while to really compare the vocalists, can't just accept what other people say.

As a complete aside Where lgiht and dark don't differ by Immortal is a deadly song ain't it?

Oh I'm not saying take my opinion as gospel now, by all means listen to it and make up your mind yourself.

Yeah, politics definetly made their way into the music in a huge way.

I think these videos here pretty much sums up why I don't like the band any more:

As a band that's lyrical subjects was pretty much rooted in fantasy, I loved them. Once politics entered the equation, and Jon Schaffer was making pro-war diatribes in every interview, I just can't listen to them any more.

The fact that Matt Barlow was way better than Owens didn't help much either.

Anyway, if I was to recommend a really good Iced Earth album to check out, then that would have to be Burnt Offerings, easily the band's finest moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Love this band, The Alive in athens album is one of my favourite live albums of any band, the dvd is ok not great though. Everybody always talks about Barlow/Ripper but seems to forget the two vocalists that are on Iced earth/Night of the stormrider. Can't remember the name of the guy on Iced Earth but John Greely on night of the stormrider is amazing, I much prefer his versions than the ones that appear on Days of Purgatory, Travel In Stygian especially.
    As a band that's lyrical subjects was pretty much rooted in fantasy, I loved them. Once politics entered the equation, and Jon Schaffer was making pro-war diatribes in every interview, I just can't listen to them any more.

Kind of agree with you there, the whole 9/11 thing on glorious burden pissed me off, when the eagle cries just made me cringe. The interviews just show that Schaffer is really just a big red-neck. Shame.

Good thing their next album won't have anything like that in it, the ep is out in may and has a re-recorded wicked trilogy, I really can't wait for it, and the first album is out in july I think. \m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Yeah that first song is a load of balls stopped it after awhile, hate that kind of crap.

I don't care what peoples' political stances are as long as they don't parade it about every time they get a chance and it comes into their music when it was never in it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Oh I'm not saying take my opinion as gospel now, by all means listen to it and make up your mind yourself.

Yeah, politics definetly made their way into the music in a huge way.

I think these videos here pretty much sums up why I don't like the band any more:

The fact that Matt Barlow was way better than Owens didn't help much either.

Anyway, if I was to recommend a really good Iced Earth album to check out, then that would have to be Burnt Offerings, easily the band's finest moment.
    I agree with you about Ripper, he's awful with IE (compared to Barlow anyway).
    But Burnt Offerings? I'd say Horror Show is one of their finest moments.

Oh and the new album is gonna be a continuation of Something Wicked...
    Ripper is gonna ruin it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Slurms wrote:
    Oh and the new album is gonna be a continuation of Something Wicked...
    Ripper is gonna ruin it!!

I feel kind of sorry for Ripper cause all his career is basically trying to replace the irreplaceable, first Halford and then Barlow. It's just a shame a few more people don't give him a chance. I thought he was great at the old priest stuff (98 meltdown is an excellent album, this also coming from a die hard priest fan remember) and I've recently heard his take on the old Iced Earth material and although it's different than barlow it's still really good. As for him going to ruin the next Iced Earth album, I totally disagree.

You know, I have to say that with reguards to Ripper Owens, I really liked Jugulator.

I think it's a pity, because when I think about Blaze Bailey, the guy went on to record some great solo albums. Ripper went from one replacement to another, and I think it's even worse because in my opinion Matt Barlow was better than Halford, and that's saying something. It could also be due to the timing of him joining Iced Earth aswell, seeing as the bad went seriously downhill around the same time he joined, so perhaps he's getting too much heat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Far too much heat. Ripper's one of the best singers out there. He more than held his own replacing Rob Halford. He has a cd out at the moment with his band Beyond Fear which is well worth checking out.

Advertisement