Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help pls

Options
  • 24-03-2007 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Ok as its time to pick my subjects for the leaving etc I am stuck between computers and history. I really dont want to do french for the leaving so im kind of limited to uni's. Just want to know does anyone know is there much jobs in history/Archaeology and is there good money in it.
    Thanks

ZonE!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Computers isnt an exam subject,go for history mate!Archaelogy is a very satisfying job if you get into it.Its very hard work,but if you make it its a very good living,you get to travel the world and its extremely rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm I don't really think this is the best place for this thread, I'll move it on over to the Leaving Cert forum, they'll be able to help you better over there :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

theres very good money prospects from computers atm...

Im an IT student at the moment and there has been a serious decline in the ammount of people studying computers in 3rd level.. you'r looking at a very wellpayed job if you decide to go this route.

Good luck trying to find a job digging stuff up though =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Is computers a Lc subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I highly advise you take french on. You may decide that you want to go to Uni and then you can't so keep it on even if you are bad at it. You may need it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I take it that you mean to do History or Computers for college and not as LC subjects?

As far as I know, there aren't many fulltime jobs available in Archaeology and most that do qualify with it usually persue postgraduate studies afterwards to boost their chances of getting a fulltime job. This would mean 5+ years in college but if you have a genuine interest in History and a penchant for outdoor work then it is very rewarding job.

There is a predicted labour shortfall in 2010 in the computers industry which is good news for anyone studying it, or looking to study it. Usually when there are shortages predicted, there is an increase in applications but this year there have been 25% less people applying to Technology courses through CAO which once again is good news for prospective student.

Both careers are two totally different walks of life though. One involves plenty of outdoor work and work with the public whilst the other consists of many late nights, depressing offices and lots of cups of coffee! Although what may influence you in your choice (which btw you have plenty of time to choose - 2 years) is the length of time you'll be spending in college. Archaeology = 5 years to have a chance of getting a job whereas you may only need spend 2 years in college in a computers course before being approached by a company who would be willing to employ you and allow you to study at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I highly advise you take french on. You may decide that you want to go to Uni and then you can't so keep it on even if you are bad at it. You may need it later.
    A few universities like TCD accept Irish as another language besides English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

strongr wrote:
    Just want to know does anyone know is there much jobs in history/Archaeology and is there good money in it.
    Thanks

No and no. No one gets into those fields because of the money; people do it out of genuine interest and motivation. You need a fair bit of postgrad work done before you can actually start making money; it's a long time to be a student if you're not sure it's what you want to do. (I would personally go with history over computer any day, but I'm one of those foolish people who wants the sort of job that takes over their life and rewards them in mostly intellectual terms rather than financial ones.) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

The guy wrote:
    Is computers a Lc subject?
    No i ment what road will i take after the lc history side or /computer side of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

claire h wrote:
    I would personally go with history over computer any day, but I'm one of those foolish people who wants the sort of job that takes over their life and rewards them in mostly intellectual terms rather than financial ones.
    Are you trying to say computers give no intellectual rewards??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Are you trying to say computers give no intellectual rewards??

Well, for me personally, yes. :p But I wouldn't generalise - just that with computers you're far more likely to have the financial rewards, regardless of whether or not you're interested in what you're doing, so if money's a priority in job-choosing it'd be the way to go. Anyone asking if there's 'good money' in a particular field seems to be in that category...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Archaelogy in Ireland is terrible, if you don't want to move abroad then don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

claire h wrote:
    Well, for me personally, yes. :p But I wouldn't generalise - just that with computers you're far more likely to have the financial rewards, regardless of whether or not you're interested in what you're doing, so if money's a priority in job-choosing it'd be the way to go. Anyone asking if there's 'good money' in a particular field seems to be in that category...

LOL, I cant see people picking and sustaining a career in Computing if they are only there for monetary rewards.
    Beats digging in a hole by a country mile though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

wow...dont not do french like! I wasnt going to do it for the leaving either, i hated it! but ive ended up with a B2 in my mock, and hoping for a B1 now in the leaving...HIGHER level! SO deffo keep a language, it does get easier:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

A mod needs to ove this to Leaving Cert! Its in junior :) Anyway make a list of pros and cons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It was moved to the Leaving Cert board. Do you want it moved back? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

claire h wrote:
    I would personally go with history over computer any day, but I'm one of those foolish people who wants the sort of job that takes over their life and rewards them in mostly intellectual terms rather than financial ones.

Holy god, *what* a generalisation. And a very wrong one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It was moved to the Leaving Cert board. Do you want it moved back? o.O

Oh sorry i found it on the junior cert board...

Advertisement