Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you rate this performance?

• 24-03-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Where do you rate this performance?

Where do you rate this performance? 27 votes

Worse than Cyprus (A) AND San Marino (A)
    0% 0 votes
    Worse than Cyprus (A) but not San Marino (A)
    29% 8 votes
    Worse than San Marino (A) but not Cyprus (A)
    33% 9 votes
    Marginally better than both
    37% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

This result just gives Stan more time in the job I am afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well I did fall asleep during it, which is never the best of signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Slept through the 2nd half, tells its own tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

Poor performance but no where near as bad the last two thank God!!! Spent the second half playing PES6 instead of actually watching which tells its own story

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Better than the other two but that's not saying much. Dire performance again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Mushy wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one mushy. From what I seen it is time both keane an duff got a boot up the arse and let the like of mcgeady and stokes a chance coz the senior players just are not arsed or are total cack....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Awful performance no doubt but if it wasn't for the fact Wales were somehow worse than Ireland today then today could have been up there with Cyprus and San Marino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There should be a 'same' option imo.

We lack depth, creativity and ideas.

We lack tactics that make sense.

It has been the same for the three matches.

And it will be the same until Staunton is no longer manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I watched every minute of it - mostly through the cracks between my fingers covering my face.

We won in spite of the tactics, not because of them. its a very important point and one which Stan will ignore, instead jumping on his favourite line "3 points is 3 points". yes Stan they are, unfortunately professional sport isn't that simple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We lacked creativity BUT we were excellent in defence and gave them nothing. To be fair you could tell from the way Stan set the team out that he was going to play defensively and it worked to a point in that we won the game but it was painfull to watch. What worried me was the fact that we began to sit back in the second half. Still I thought the central defence and central midfield was very solid. Central midfield didnt offer much creativity but Douglas and Carsley were never going to anyway.

What annoyed me the most was the hoofing the ball from the back which bypassed the midfield. That was our major problem. If we can get the ball down and play it out of the back then we will do alot better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Can I pick any game to answer the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Kingp35 wrote:
    We lacked creativity BUT we were excellent in defence and gave them nothing.

It wasn't that we gave them nothing, more like they never came close to creating anything (bar Giggs' cross to Bellamy)

What the hell is Stan thinking with his formations?
    I really do hope Slovakia put us out of our mysery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I didn't get to see it. What did Stan have to say about it?

"3 point, job done" ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I rate it as better than the English one - World's best players from the World's best league - don't make me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

nipplenuts wrote:
    I rate it as better than the English one - World's best players from the World's best league - don't make me laugh!

In fairness they do have McCalren as boss when Sven got the chop I was disapointed as I thought a half decent mananger could do well with what is a ery good(altough not as good as the english meda go on about them) group of players but luckaly they apointed an even wose boss in mcclaren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Kingp35 wrote:
    We lacked creativity BUT we were excellent in defence and gave them nothing.

Are you for real??? Wales were absolute muck, the only reason we gave them nothing is because they were absoltuely useless. Bellamy and Giggs were not intersted in playing today. Any half decent team would have beaten Wales by 2/3/4 goals.

That was close on one of the worst games of football I have ever witnessed. Ireland on the right, O'Shea right back ahead of finnan, both Carsley and Douglas in the middle, Stan hasn't a notion of what he is doing. At one point during the second half I wanted Wales to score and get the draw just so we could put Stan out of his misery as this just prolongs the sacking of him IMO.

Kingp35 wrote:
    What annoyed me the most was the hoofing the ball from the back which bypassed the midfield. That was our major problem. If we can get the ball down and play it out of the back then we will do alot better.

I missed that gem in my last post. Why do you think that was?? Anything got to do with the fact that are two central midfielders never once went looking for the ball off any of the backs?? They had no choice but to hoof it up for the field as nobody was coming to look for a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Slept through the 2nd half, tells its own tale.
    I think the standard of International football in general these days is extremely poor.
    The average game you will see is rubbish,littered with poor footballers lacking even a decent first touch.
    Embarrassing to think these footballers are actually professionals when they play like Sunday league hackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

At one point during the second half I wanted Wales to score and get the draw just so we could put Stan out of his misery as this just prolongs the sacking of him IMO.

It's sad to see fans willing the other side to score, but I understand why you want that to happen. The reality is, even when we lose a few more games in this qualifying campaign, the excuse from Delaney and Staunton will be: "The plan is to qualify for the next major tournament silly!"

To sack the manager so soon into his tenure would make Delaney look like as much of a failure as Staunton himself. That's why our misery will live on long after this campaign.

Serbian wrote:
    It's sad to see fans willing the other side to score, but I understand why you want that to happen.

You right it is sad and I never thought I would think that about a team I followed, just in all my years following the Irish side I never felt so angry and frustrated especially after paying €100 for a pair of tickets high up in the nally stand. I mean any one of us on this forum could have picked a more balanced side today, I just don't understand the logic of the team he picked.

I know we are not world beaters but IMO we have the makings of a decent team, why he persists with Kilbane I never know, he always gives 100% but he is well past it at this level. He should have started Hunt on the right today with Duff on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

finnan and O'shea
    what was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

nurse_baz wrote:
    finnan and O'shea
    what was that about?

agreed - I haven't a clue what Staunton was playing at there :confused:

As for the performance, well the only thing of a positive nature from it was that we won. Not because we are a good team, it was just that Wales were more pathetic than us.

If we play like that against the Slovaks next Wednesday it could be 3 or 4 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nurse_baz wrote:
    finnan and O'shea
    what was that about?

an attempt to get more out of O Shea is my interpretation. Finnan is pretty consistent, even on the wrong side. O Shea has never looked comfortable playing for ireland and never realises his full potential, and i think Staunton thought he might get more out of him by putting him on his natural side. wouldn't have done it myself, but i think there was a lot worse Staunton could have done tactically (like letting Kilbane play out the full 90 when he switched off after about 60, should have been a straight swap for hunt instead of taking off Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mushy wrote:

me too. piss poor performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

was Ireland injured. did i not hear "Mad Bill" talking about a groin strain.....

i can see your point about O'Shea alright, but surely playing people where A) they play week in and out and b) do pretty well in one of the top teams in the EPL (finnan) is more important....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Flicked on in the second half and I remember why I don't follow the Irish soccer team.

More games like this and the soccer fans will start moving to other games e.g. rugby/cricket/whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

A poor, poor game of football. Saying that, I couldn't bring myself to go as far as Dunphy to say that I wanted to see us get a poor result today! BUT, we were fairly toothless and sloppy with the ball and tactically deployed in a "bizarre" fashion. Why Doyle didn't start I'll never know.

On the plus side, Duffer looked interested and we got the 3 points! We stand a chance of qualifying, a slim chance at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I missed that gem in my last post. Why do you think that was?? Anything got to do with the fact that are two central midfielders never once went looking for the ball off any of the backs?? They had no choice but to hoof it up for the field as nobody was coming to look for a pass.

If there is one thing that both carsley and Douglas do is go deep and look for the ball. Nearly every time one of them was free and the simple ten yard pass was on but John O' Shea just hoofs it up the pich whenever he got the ball. Richard Dunne is a guilty party as well. McShane and Finnan are the two that try to pass it out because they have some footballing ability. Dont give me that rubbish that no one was looking for the pass because its just not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ah lads, it was another depressing experience despite the victory. I was trying to think of when we honestly played so poorly as a unit at home and nothing came to mind. If we have the same approach on Wednesday (and I have no reason to think we won't), the Slovaks will go through us like a bad vindaloo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

From todays Indo

Stephen Ireland - "I'm not really comfortable at all on the right wing, to be honest, but eventually they swapped me and Duffer over and soon after we broke through for the goal," he said.

Lee Carsley also raised eyebrows with his post-match analysis. "He (Staunton) just named the team but didn't go through any roles to be honest," the Everton star replied to a question about the new-look midfield.

Get Delaney and Staunton out ! clueless goons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kingp35 wrote:
    Dont give me that rubbish that no one was looking for the pass because its just not true.

It was true. There were definitely times during the game that no Irish player with the exception of maybe Duff was actively seeking the ball. I remember a number of times when there was no movement from the Irish players for say like a throw in or that. Crosses were on but none of the midfield went to the box, that type of cack. At times the mentality of the midfield was to just leave it all to Duff or Keane.

Kingp35 wrote:
    If there is one thing that both carsley and Douglas do is go deep and look for the ball. Nearly every time one of them was free and the simple ten yard pass was on but John O' Shea just hoofs it up the pich whenever he got the ball. Richard Dunne is a guilty party as well. McShane and Finnan are the two that try to pass it out because they have some footballing ability. Dont give me that rubbish that no one was looking for the pass because its just not true.

Seriously did you even watch the game??

Advertisement