Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl cable modem question

Options
  • 24-03-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

hi,
    i have an ntl cable modem that is not working at the moment, and the earliest they can send someone out to look at/replace it is april 12th.
    can anyone tell me if there is an off the shelf cable modem from another vendor that i could buy that will work with the ntl broadband service available anywhere here in dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Nope theirs no modem you can buy. Plus your problem may not be your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah Are you shure its your modem?? NTL Often say its then modem at fault when infact it very rarely is. Whats the problem you are having?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

thanx for the replies folks.
    basically i have not been able to connect since thursday.
    when i power on the modem, the receive led flickers constantly, and the ready led remains blinking off and on.
    when i go into the config pages for the modem, the network access setting says "denied" (there is no problem with regard to me being on credit hold or anything like that).
    The acquire a downstream channel status says "locked"
    The connectivity state status says "upstream parameters acquired"
    The boot state says "unknown", and i cannot change any of these settings.
    I reset the defaults via the config pages, but it has not made any change to the problem. Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

have you tried a hard reset, usually via a pinhole at back of modem.

What area are you in?? Maybe NTL is just down there.

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote:
    have you tried a hard reset, usually via a pinhole at back of modem.
    i just checked the modem all over. there is no pinhole on the one ntl gave me i'm afraid.....

What area are you in?? Maybe NTL is just down there.
    i am in meakstown, finglas, d11.
    i put up a post on the forum for the development i live in on neighbours.ie, and people with ntl broadband in my development said that the service is working fine for them.
    when i rang ntl first they said the problem was with the modem.
    when i rang again they said it was not a problem with the modem, but it was due to upgrade work going on in the area, and would be sorted by friday afternoon. i made these two calls one after another on the same day.
    i don't know where to be looking for the problem at this stage :confused:

Yeah thats NTL all over for you. All I can suggest is to keep power cycling the modem every now and then and see if the connection is back.

yeah at least i have a case number so i am gonna ring em on a daily basis and hopefully get it resolved sooner than the middle of april.
    thankfully i have access to a 3g card, so i am not completely stuffed!

came home this evening from work and the broadband service is back up and running. must have been the upgrade work that was the problem so. thanks for the replies anyways folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement