Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licencing on a Windows network

Options
  • 24-03-2007 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

An office I was in recently (installing software) has a 3 x Server2003 and 1 x Server2000 on a domain, all in Per Server mode for CALs. Thing is, they have set each server for the total number of CALs they have. Should this not be Per Seat when they have several servers? When I pointed this out to them, they asked me to switch to Per Seat, but is it as simple as ticking the box for Per Seat in Licence Manager? Don't want any complications like blocked logins or denied access to resources.

Is it true that the DC manages the licences for all servers on a Server 2003 network.. Could it happen that switching to Per Seat might throw up problems? If it's any more complicated that just making the change in Licence Manager I'll tell them to get somebody who knows what they are doing! Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Anyone ever set up more than one server on a windows network? Have an opinion on the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

are they somehow going to get a refund for purchased licences?

Short answer, is this going to cause you more hassle than it's worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

At the beginning they purcased a server plus a CAL for each client on the network. Each time they bought a new server they went into Licence Manager on the new server and added the number of licences they bought at the beginning. Now, my understanding is that this might have been ok if they added these in Per Seat mode. Correct?

I know that they can make a one-time change, so I was going to this for them but I need to check if there would be any consequences of this. Is it true that Licence Manager does not deny access to resources, that is is just a statement of licencs purchased i.e, if they have 100 licences then it will not block access to client 101?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

shayser wrote:
    Is it true that Licence Manager does not deny access to resources, that is is just a statement of licencs purchased i.e, if they have 100 licences then it will not block access to client 101?
    This is how I understand it at least, but I don't claim to be an expert on MS licensing either :(

Advertisement