Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy said......

• 24-03-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

He wanted the Irish team to lose and as much as I hate to say it there was a part of me today that hoped we would lose just to get it over with. I have supported the Irish football team all my life and I think it is incredibly said that people feel like this. Am I alone in this?

Did you want us to lose today? 91 votes

Yes I wanted us to lose
    0% 0 votes
    Part of me wanted us to lose
    13% 12 votes
    I always want the team to win no matter what
    49% 45 votes
    It's a disgrace that any "fan" should want the team to lose
    37% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

It had crossed my mind at points and while i dont think i could ever wish for us to loose i came mighty close. I still cling to the hope that somehow stan will turn it all around. Fantasy world i know but i just dont see him getting the sack :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I always want us to win. But we'd disgrace a finals tournament if we somehow by some freak of nature qualified so that want wasn't exactly over-eager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

When Bellamy was one-on-one with Given, I was willing him to score. Stumbling through these games is painful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We won't qualify so these games are really meaningless and each 'win' only prolongs the innevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wouldn't agree that the games are meaningless. Ireland are 60th-ish on the rankings and need to start winning a good whack of internationals and friendlies to avoid a group like the one we are currently in for the next major finals.

The tactics are abysmal. It really is painful to watch at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Fair play to Dunphy for speaking his mind. He is 100% spot on about everything he has said about the irish team under Staunton.

Irish football is going nowhere under Staunton and Delaney with his FAI cronies and the sad reality is many people including myself hope Ireland lose so this terrible period of Irish football can die in order to result in Irish football rebuilding itself for the future under a competent association with efficient structures (and a competent manager!).

In other words short term pain for long term gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

short term pain for long term gain.
    That is brilliant, fair play.

I don't want to see us losing matches, but if it means that the jokers at the top of football in this country are shafted out, then so be it.

Keano for FAI CEO, never mind manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I've never liked Dunphy, I think he talks sh!te half of the time, but he really summed us up today. He was 100% spot on about everything. I mean Wales were so bad any decent team would have put 5 or 6 past them & strolled through the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

While there's still a chance to qualify, i'd like to see ireland win. Ireland do have some good players, if they played like they have done in the past they could still maybe qualify, although its a long shot.

Performance today was pretty rubbish, looked like they were playing in slow motion, didn't close players down, passing for the most part wasn't good, didn't create many chances etc.

It quite depressing how ireland have got worse so quickly and it seems to be the managers fault, stauntons comments at the end had me a bit annoyed too, never says anything of much importance, robbie keane seemed embarrassed by the performance trying to talk it up.

I'd still hope when we play the better teams that a better ireland team shows up as that has been true in the past. And while the game was bad i do feel there's a better performance in the players but it's not being brought out in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

eolhc wrote:

I'd still hope when we play the better teams that a better ireland team shows up as that has been true in the past. And while the game was bad i do feel there's a better performance in the players but it's not being brought out in them

I dont think there can be any argument about that. When you look at our team Keane, Duff, Finnan and Given are all classed as top players in the PL. Then you have players like Doyle, Ireland and Hunt who are all very promising youngsters and players like O'Shea, Dunne and Carsley who are also regarded as solid, if not spectacular, players.

I think it is a myth that we have a very weak team at the moment. We do have good players but they just dont seem to have the motivation to play for the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I was terribly disappointed when we equalised against San Marino.

No doubt people will take Dunphy's words completely out of context. You can either rip the plaster off quickly or peal it back slowly. Instead of lurching from one terrible win to another (that's not a contradiction, btw) maybe what we need is a couple of disastrous results (or should that be na couple more disastrous results?) to spur on the equivalent of the 'FAI night of the long knives'. The only problem as I see it is the complete lack of potential candidates to replace Stan's and bring his rudderless reign to it's end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hate to see us lose as much as everyone else and as mentioned, we can play better. I'm scared for the younger lads like Ireland and Doyle if Stan continues to be in charge any longer.

There are decent managers out there, if the FAI would spend some money instead of paying clowns like Delaney to continue in a terrible job.

I don't hold Staunton responsible for this, the FAI, Delaney, appointed him. He was never the right man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I hate Staunton,he is a complete moron but it is vital that Ireland win as many matches as possible to keep our rankings up otherwise we may never qualify for a major tournament again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lets be honest folks surely the FAI can afford someone better than Staunton there are surely a load of good managers in the UK that we could shaft in.

seansouth wrote:

I don't hold Staunton responsible for this, the FAI, Delaney, appointed him. He was never the right man for the job.

I would agree with that. I do find it a bit sad that Staunton who was such a great player for us is drawing so much hatred from the fans. A large part of the blame has to lie with the FAI. All the blame is directed towards stanton but it was a dreadful ove appointing him in the first place and most 13 year olds could have told you that.

Of course stan doesnt do a great job winning the fans over and he does come across as very arrogant at times but I think that is just becuase he is insecure and he puts on this front to try and come across as a proper football manager like ferguson or something. I do feel a little sorry for Stan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I always want us to win but I know where he was coming from and I have no problem with him saying it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Didnt hear what Dunphy said because I was at the game. No fan could ever want to see their team lose. Yes if we do lose them maybe Staunton will lose his job but we will also slip further down the UEFA rankings and get harder groups. When the draw was made I never thought we would qualify but we must finish third and pick up as many points as possible to help our UEFA rankings.

Poor performance today going forward but we were very solid at the back and never looked threatened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kingp35 wrote:
    Didnt hear what Dunphy said because I was at the game. No fan could ever want to see their team lose. .

Your right no fan would ever want their team to lose.

kdjac

Kingp35 wrote:
    Didnt hear what Dunphy said because I was at the game. No fan could ever want to see their team lose. Yes if we do lose them maybe Staunton will lose his job but we will also slip further down the UEFA rankings and get harder groups. When the draw was made I never thought we would qualify but we must finish third and pick up as many points as possible to help our UEFA rankings.

Poor performance today going forward but we were very solid at the back and never looked threatened.

Two things:

Rankings hardly matter if we can barely manage to beat a team like San Marino.

'Solid at the back' is a term that is relative to the quality of the team you are playing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

like many i wanna see ireland win or at least put in a hearty performance, cause as many pointed the rankings does matter when the qualifying pools are drawn.

it sad that staunton is getting so much hatred, cause he was a fantastic player for ireland, and ya would not blame him for taking the job when given.

but some of the players like robbie keane (who did good when he got the ball) duff, o'shea et the more senior players have to get some of the stick too. remember what duff said bout kerr, a man who brought him up the youth ranks, "they played like a sunday league team" well who is out on the field playing? not the manager. there is only so much ya can do with the 3 or 4 days stan has got them for. a few of them senior players need to get their heads out of their own ar^se.

it shouldn't be young up and coming players (and thank god we have such players who now play in top flight club footie) like ireland, doyle, mcshane, and hunt who are expected to take a game by the horns in every game.

how many managers would actually take the job without a heafty paypackage? martin o'neill does not seem intersted. how else is there david "my babies" o'leary? (no), joe kinnear or aldo? (please god no)

on a good note, hunt's entrance to the game was welcomed and a joy to see someone play like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

We just dont have the top pool of players we had in the past and its going to be a long time until we are at the top level of international football again if ever.
    Too many living on past glories of the Republic team, we are a small nation with a small squad of players to choose from.We need to lower our expectations and get behind the team
    Anyone who would wish their home country to lose in any sport should be ashamed of themselves,
    Remember we are a proud nation who have triumphed in the face of adversity for years in various aspects of life, never give up on Ireland !!

andrew1977 wrote:
    We just dont have the top pool of players we had in the past and its going to be a long time until we are at the top level of international football again if ever.
    Too many living on past glories of the Republic team, we are a small nation with a small squad of players to choose from.We need to lower our expectations and get behind the team
    Anyone who would wish their home country to lose in any sport should be ashamed of themselves,
    Remember we are a proud nation who have triumphed in the face of adversity for years in various aspects of life, never give up on Ireland !!

good point. stan and if we are all honest have said at some point that even when we had the top players, that we were punching above our own weight against the likes of holland, portugal, italy etc. it does hurt because there are some very very talented young players in the pool, and the youth teams from the past up to don givens and mcclafferty's teams are doing well. come on ireland. and dufffer and keane, get you heads outta yur ar&ses cause ye cant live on your great world cup 2002 for ever,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I couldn't disagree more!

Nobody who watches these players for their respective teams can say that we shouldn't be expecting much better then we've seen.

For christ sake lads, we actually have some strength in depth at the moment, to the point that we're playing without probably our best midfielder in S Reid. Also we've seen at charlton that Andy Reid can add a lot when he's not injured too.

based on their known ability, a central 4 of Duff, Ireland, Carsley, Hunt/McGeady would be pretty decent for a premiership team. All 4 are prem regulars in their respective positions.

For our back 4 we can choose from Finnan, Dunne, McShane, O'Dea, O'Shea, Harte. Thats not a bad pool at all!

Up front we have Keane a proven quality player, along with more potential then we've ever had in the position in Doyle, Elliot, Stokes and Long. Not to mention that connolly and Morrisson who are both playing well for their clubs are available for selection.

Whatever about punching above our weight in the past, we're punching well below our weight at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I don't like the personal attacks on Stan, but he is doing himself no favours here, our players aren't bad, but there's very little direction with the team, and thats got to come down to the manager.

At this level, you don't have to coach the players, purely manage, prepare and get them working together.

I would gladly take a beating from a terrible welsh team if it meant Delaney was ousted along with Stan and his backroom staff.

Enoughs enough, what youngster would aspire to play for their national team after the shambles of recent performance, would you blame any young fella for taking up Rugby or even cricket !

And as for Don Givens, he's hopeless, how many youth players have come through from him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I dont ever want too see Ireland lose. I know people say it might get Stan out quicker if we do lose games to the likes of Wales and co. and i've often wondered myself. BUt frankly the FAI by appointing Stan have declared their incompetence on a global scale once again, and will have great difficulty trying to lure many better candidates to the job. Also as bad as things are now it would be much worse to start the next campaign as a fifth or sixth seed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

agree with anyone who points out that we need wins, whether Stan stays or goes for the next qualifying campaign.

as for losing to Wales or anyone else for that matter, of course I don't actively want Ireland to lose. But something needs to be done. Unfortunately, if Stan went in the morning, we'd probably end up with Aldridge, or (shudder) Dae O'Leary, when really, we should be looking to break the bank and get a real quality coach in, to mould Hunt/Ireland/Stokes & Co. into a good solid playing unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I dont ever want too see Ireland lose. I know people say it might get Stan out quicker if we do lose games to the likes of Wales and co. and i've often wondered myself. BUt frankly the FAI by appointing Stan have declared their incompetence on a global scale once again, and will have great difficulty trying to lure many better candidates to the job. Also as bad as things are now it would be much worse to start the next campaign as a fifth or sixth seed...

Lot of truth there, but let me add we have some goddamn good players (Given, HoneyMonster, Duff, Hunt, Doyle, maybe even Keane) and some good-enough players (O'Shea, McShane, McGeady).

Enough there for a platform. What we don't need is a manager who's scared of everything, but we've got one. He may grow in stature, especially if we win on Wednesday, but the whole thig is shakey as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dr. Nick wrote:

Enough there for a platform. What we don't need is a manager who's scared of everything, but we've got one. He may grow in stature, especially if we win on Wednesday, but the whole thig is shakey as ****.

yeah i see your point. But that all depends on the FAIs ability to get a decent manager in, and i think there are sweet feck all options out there who'd be capable of motivating the players and be willing to take up the job. I'd rather see Staunton scrape a few results on crap performances and at least keep us in our current seedings level rahter than risk it all again. That all hinges though on the FAIs ability to have a replacement lined up at least by the time the current campaign ends (as the only way i can see the FAI getting a decent manager in is by taking another risk on a relative unknown like they did Staunton, and praying that this time the gamble works)... which i'm not too confident about.

Plus there is always the outlandish possibilty that Staunton may actually grow into the job and learn a bit... although again so far i'm not too confident about that either... maybe if the whole counntry got down on our knees and prayed to Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Ghanesh...

I kinda think it's a lose lose situation. Until we can get some actual mildly competant heads into the FAI we're gonna be buggered either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, surely if Staunton goes, then the premise will be to get in any manager better than Staunton, in which case you have:

All Premiership managers
    All Championship managers
    All League one managers
    All League two manager
    All League of Ireland Managers
    All past Managers in Ireland and the UK
    All Managers in Europe
    All Managers in South America
    All Managers in Asia/Oceania/Africa
    All Rugby Managers
    All "Coaches" in North America (baseball, hockey, American football etc.)
    All boards.ie wannabe managers
    Pighead
    Eamonn Dunphy
    Brian Kerr
    Me
    My Mother
    My Father
    My Granny
    My Grandad
    Put Football Manager 2007 in charge of the team

Actually, it would probably be easier to list those who do not qualify:

Steve Staunton
    Anyone under the age of 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

astrofool wrote:
    Well, surely if Staunton goes, then the premise will be to get in any manager better than Staunton, in which case you have:

All Premiership managers
    All Championship managers
    All League one managers
    All League two manager
    All League of Ireland Managers
    All past Managers in Ireland and the UK
    All Managers in Europe
    All Managers in South America
    All Managers in Asia/Oceania/Africa
    All Rugby Managers
    All "Coaches" in North America (baseball, hockey, American football etc.)
    All boards.ie wannabe managers
    Pighead
    Eamonn Dunphy
    Brian Kerr
    Me
    My Mother
    My Father
    My Granny
    My Grandad

Actually, it would probably be easier to list those who do not qualify:

Steve Staunton
    Anyone under the age of 3

Damn it i spat tea all over my keyboard >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's a myth that we have a very poor squad.Compare the Welsh squad yesterday with the pool of players that Ireland can call on with everyone fit and available. We have some good young players coming through and a core group (Given,Duff,Finnan,Keane,Kilbane etc.) who are vastly experienced premiership and international players.

You don't need a selection of world class players nowadays in international football, you just need a decent bunch of committed players and a manager who can motivate them and bring out the best in them. Look at England, top class players in most positions and yet their performances are as limp and lifeless as ours.

I do feel an ounce of sympathy for Staunton. He was a tremendous servant as a player and it's a pity he's drawing so much vitriol now from fans and media alike.

But he's not helping himself either. As well as his shapeless aimless management, he is utterly hopeless at giving interviews and dealing with the media, and says nothing of any interest or consequence, ever. A little bit of 'hold your hands up' honesty would go some way to getting people back on his side. His slightly arrogant 'well we won didn't we?' attitude is part of why he's getting so little sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I want to support the Irish team, I really do but between Delaney and Staunton I just want to see us lose at the moment so that theres more pressure put on Delaney. Watching the Germany - Czech Rep game itd be a far worse tournament next summer without either of those teams in.

aidan24326 wrote:
    His slightly arrogant 'well we won didn't we?' attitude is part of why he's getting so little sympathy.

i thinkyou've hit the nail on the head there mate. He's trying to carry off the Fergie/Jose aloof type of media thing and unlike them he just doesn't have the calibre or experience to be taken seriously.

Compare him some of the younger managers in EPL, Southgate, Coleman etc and generally they deal well enough with the media. They use what lack of experience they have on their side to their advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think our rankings position is going to improve with Staunton continuing at the helm. I wanted us to lose because to continue this way it's akin to putting glue on the titanic. I do feel bad for Staunton he is a nice guy and was a great player for Ireland but he just doesn't have the personality needed for management neither does he have the nous that is required. You can't blame him for accepting the job i think most people wouldn't turn down the opportunity if given to them.
    It is Delaney i blame for appointing Staunton. The FAI had the money to get a manager with proven pedigree and chose not to. That is an insult to the fans who pay their money to go to the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

andrew1977 wrote:
    What, as opposed to the huge number of players San Marino had to chose from?

Our players are easily good enough to be performing far far better than they are at the minute.

tbh though if we had of lost, it wouldn't have suprised me if the FAI had kept Stan on. They just don't seem to be paying any attention to the fans whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

david "my babies" o'leary? (no), joe kinnear
    What wrong with them especially Joe Kinnear. O'Leary is a good manger just dont give him money/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Andrew 83 wrote:
    I always want us to win but I know where he was coming from and I have no problem with him saying it.

Same here. Wouldn't publicly support the opposition myself but I do agree that short term pain may be necessary for long term gain. I was disgusted when some decided to appluad the team off the pitch in San Marino; what is it going to take to get the message through to the players.

i wasn't convinced by Dave O'Leary at Villa to be honest and taking on the Irish squad has many parallels imo. Decent enough squad with a some good players. but in saying that he would be an improvement and I'd be happy to be proven wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

astrofool wrote:

:D

I actually think Football Manager 2005 could even do the job.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I actually popped onto Football manager there, it picked a team of

Given

Carr--Dunne--O'Shea--Finnan
    McGeady-Ireland-Carsely-Duff

Keane--Doyle

against Wales, we won 3-1 :)

If I was a manager - international or otherwise - I'd use FM 2007 as the basis for all my transfer dealings and tactical decisions.

Staunton, imho, should do the same.

Reganio 2 wrote:
    What wrong with them especially Joe Kinnear. O'Leary is a good manger just dont give him money/

well then no point been a manager. look what sam alydarce (sp) of bolton has done with a small budget. neither of them achieved much (you would expect leeds to do well in europe with the amount of dosh they spent), i agree with you on kinnear who kept wimbelon up for so many years, nothing short of a mircle.

incidently the irish squad is in the audience for the bernard dunne match. maybe it might inspire some guts and spirit for the wednesday

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well to be honest, I didn't really give a damn whether Ireland won or not. I've lost interest in Ireland since Staunton took over. The way Ireland are playing at the moment, for me is souless. When Ireland score, I am normally jumping for joy. Yesterday, I couldn't even bring myself to cheer.

Fair play to Dunphy for saying that. He is speaking his mind and is putting himself up for some flack, but he like many others in this country want to see an end to Staunton's reign. Ireland would be better off in the long run without him.

PHB wrote:
    I actually popped onto Football manager there, it picked a team of

Given

Carr--Dunne--O'Shea--Finnan
    McGeady-Ireland-Carsely-Duff

Keane--Doyle

against Wales, we won 3-1 :)

FM 07 definately seems smarter than Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Well to be honest, I didn't really give a damn whether Ireland won or not. I've lost interest in Ireland since Staunton took over. The way Ireland are playing at the moment, for me is souless. When Ireland score, I am normally jumping for joy. Yesterday, I couldn't even bring myself to cheer.

Fair play to Dunphy for saying that. He is speaking his mind and is putting himself up for some flack, but he like many others in this country want to see an end to Staunton's reign. Ireland would be better off in the long run without him.
    hear hear agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

As long as there is any slim chance of qualifying, anyone who wants us to lose shouldnt really be watching.

I dont think Eamo meant it, just the usual spiel. Did I hear right or did he describe it as the worst game since Egypt in 1990?

Aye Eamonn, apart from Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Cyprus, San Marino, Holland.........

Its odd but Stans career effectively rests on Shay tbh. In matches without Given we have conceded 10 goals. In matches with him, we have conceded one. If the defence is poor the defence is poor, but Given has two qualities

Being one of the best keepers around
    Giving the defence the kick up the arse and encouragement they need

Id chance it that if Given hadnt been out injured we would be on 16 points now. I honestly cant see the cypriots having whacked 5 in no matter how bad the defence was. If we were on 16 there would still be criticism and rightly so but still, the fact a team like Germany havent got the entire 16 when little Ireland would have had they not been missing their key player shows that no team in the group is exactly walking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

We won't qualify for Euro 2008 and in a way that's a blessing because if we got there with the current squad and manager, we would be humiliated before the entire continent, instead of just here at home and the other teams in the group so far.

I pity Staunton as he has been thrown in at the deep end and is clearly not up to the job, nor does he seem to have the respect of the players, and after Saturday it's obvious he has no grasp of tactics. But who wouldn't take the job when offered?

Delaney has spent far too long manouevering himself into the top job at the FAI, there's no way he'll go if and when they cut their losses and sack Staunton.

We are in for a prolonged period of the national football team being ****e, and unable to attract a decent manager. Look at what Scotland had to endure in the last decade, that's what we have to look forward to.

shane86 wrote:
    As long as there is any slim chance of qualifying, anyone who wants us to lose shouldnt really be watching.

I dont think Eamo meant it, just the usual spiel. Did I hear right or did he describe it as the worst game since Egypt in 1990?

Aye Eamonn, apart from Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Cyprus, San Marino, Holland.........

Its odd but Stans career effectively rests on Shay tbh. In matches without Given we have conceded 10 goals. In matches with him, we have conceded one. If the defence is poor the defence is poor, but Given has two qualities

Being one of the best keepers around
    Giving the defence the kick up the arse and encouragement they need

Id chance it that if Given hadnt been out injured we would be on 16 points now. I honestly cant see the cypriots having whacked 5 in no matter how bad the defence was. If we were on 16 there would still be criticism and rightly so but still, the fact a team like Germany havent got the entire 16 when little Ireland would have had they not been missing their key player shows that no team in the group is exactly walking it.
    If Shay Given had have played every game, we'd have sixteen points from five games?

Shay Given is good, but he isn't a magician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Shay Given is good, but he isn't a magician

Take that back, it's Given!

• Advertisement
Advertisement