Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy said......

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Heh heh :) *requests that seansouth be banned/burned for heresy*

The other 10 would have stumbled their way to victory the same way theyve been doing for months, Stan would have done his Dougal bit for the media and rang up players old clubs looking for their services yadda yadda but I believe he certainly could have held off the Cypriots, and in all fairness the Czechs got lucky, they hadnt a huge amount of shots on target far as I recall.

14 anyway, with a game to play Wednesday. What could have been eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

I watched the game with little enthusiasm over the weekend. I'm usually one of the loudest in the pub having supported the irish team through the good and bad times but noticing the difference in professionalism and passion between this Wales game and the Irish Rugby 6 nations games a few weeks ago I have realised that I have lost my passion for this Irish team under Staunton too. There is just this severe lack of direction in the team and seeing Staunton in press conferances afterwards is an embarressment to our nation IMO. It really is cringe worthy stuff what comes out this guys mouth, its a bit like Bush politics in the states.

I don't think it really matters whether we win or lose these games in the middle of the European qualifiers, if we lose all games until the end of this campaign Staunton will not go until the very end of the campaign anyway, the FAI have too much dosh to lose and it will take an atomic bomb to move their lazy asses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Purely for what it would do to our ranking for the next tounrie I want to see ireland win....but if Ireland were to lose and Stan was to go it would be a massive silver lining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think anyone who thinks that Delany will oust Staunton before the end of this campaign, no matter what the results are, is being very naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've no confidence in Steve. In fact I find him weird. My dad said to him on Friday that he thinks they (Ireland) can beat the Welsh and Steve replied in a determined psychopathic manner exclaiming Ireland "wll win". My dad had to leave the couch because Steve kept staring at him without saying anything.

I guess I kinda fear the unknown. I don't know about this Steve chap. I have in the past wished for Ireland to loose so that the result would represent the managers ability. But right now I'm willing to see if he can improve. He went very defensively against Wales. He admitted this in a clouded manner at the post-match interview. Being dumped into the international limelight doesn't mean he will grow balls over night and go all out attacking for 4-0 wins or be able to hand the pressure from Mr.Cork and the press/fans to near perfection. But we should expect him to learn from his mistakes. He realised a few things and made changes through the second half. Too late by then. But if he brings this new experience into the next game and improves the way in which he sets out then I'll be pleased. Else, Ill give him FM 2007 next time I see him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

shane86 wrote:
    14 anyway, with a game to play Wednesday. What could have been eh.

Em considering Shay was in goals for one of the games we lost it would be pretty difficult to claim we would have 14 points with him in all 6.

Perhaps you'd like to change it once again and go for 13 or 15 pts with him?

Personally I don't agree. I think we'd be on 11 now with him (draw in Cyprus being the only diff result).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    Personally I don't agree. I think we'd be on 11 now with him (draw in Cyprus being the only diff result).
    Seriously? I'm pretty sure Given would have saved Koller's goal. Henderson was positioned completely wrong. There's nothing Given could have done in Cyprus. We had no midfield and they attacked at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

psi wrote:
    I think anyone who thinks that Delany will oust Staunton before the end of this campaign, no matter what the results are, is being very naive.

I agree, but us losing will pile pressure on Delaney to be sacked himself.

bohsman wrote:
    I agree, but us losing will pile pressure on Delaney to be sacked himself.

Two words: Brass Neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing about Stan is, while he isn't up to it, it's not like he is going to get offered the job and then say no.
    The problem is Delany, so I think the real question here is, how do we get rid of him?

eirebhoy wrote:
    Seriously? I'm pretty sure Given would have saved Koller's goal. Henderson was positioned completely wrong. There's nothing Given could have done in Cyprus. We had no midfield and they attacked at will.

I'm talking more about balance of play rather than merly replacing Given for specfic incidents. If Given had been playing then for all we know his influence may have caused that Koller goal incident to have never developed (let alone required him to make the save Henderson failed on). Or perhaps equally maybe some other guilt edge opportunity would have come to them 5 mins later to score. Still reckon either way a draw was on the cards.

Re Cyprus we put in an equally bad (possibly worse?) performance in Cyprus the year before and came away with a 1-0 win. This was a match once again were we had no midfield and they again pretty much attacked at will. IIRC they had something like 20 or 30 shots on us in 2005? We didn't deserve to win in 2005 and we didn't deserve a win in 2006. I think we could have gotten a draw with a bit more experience on the pitch I think Given might might have had more influence on the team than BurgerBoy.

Again I'm not just merely talking about freeze-framing both matches and replacing Henderson/Kenny with Given for the six goal incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

PHB wrote:
    The thing about Stan is, while he isn't up to it, it's not like he is going to get offered the job and then say no.
    The problem is Delany, so I think the real question here is, how do we get rid of him?

Kill him!

tdv wrote:
    Kill him!

Could we not just get a message to him that Wednesdays game has been moved to Craggy Island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I've no confidence in Steve. In fact I find him weird. My dad said to him on Friday that he thinks they (Ireland) can beat the Welsh and Steve replied in a determined psychopathic manner exclaiming Ireland "wll win". My dad had to leave the couch because Steve kept staring at him without saying anything.

Where was this out of curiousity?

Its just I would have assumed Stan has been walking the streets in an Afghan womans burqa since Holland in order to avoid the general public and their opinions. And in fairness you can hardly fault the guy for being determined to win, even if the tactics aarent the greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I just read this thread and see that there's hardly any support for Staunton. There may be some sadness at the depths to which his reputation has gone and what he is doing to the team. But reading about someone selling a ticket for the Slovakia match because of the crap that he watched on Saturday is something that should be worrying the FAI.

Remember people complaining about not being able to get tickets to matches or all the tickets for big games going to executive box holders, fairweather fans etc? Saturdays game won't have done much to encourage them back. Meanwhile there is just this air of despondency and anger around at the moment. With rugby (and even cricket) doing well, never mind GAA there are plenty of alternatives for them to go to. They are occasion junkies not real fans. But when you see real fans giving up, then it's time to worry.

Doesn't sound good for Delaney trying to sell 10 year tickets for a redeveloped Lansdowne Rd. They need to be able to do this to keep up their end of the bargain. When the results continue to go badly, or worse we scrape wins with cowardly performances like San Marino and Wales, Delaney will be under severe pressure to deliver the revenue for Lansdowne. He has to watch his back, if he doesn't then he'll be out on his ear. So I think that Staunton will be out before then. Delaney will sacrifice him to protect himself. The only question is when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Pigman II wrote:
    Could we not just get a message to him that Wednesdays game has been moved to Craggy Island?

Or you could send him off to Jamaica. Real pros over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Could you imagine what would happen to Stan after what happened to Bob Woolmer in Jamaica?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seansouth wrote:
    Could you imagine what would happen to Stan after what happened to Bob Woolmer in Jamaica?
    He'd probably be accused of killing him....

Advertisement