Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a bit of advice here

Options
  • 24-03-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

right i am currently a perm resident in the Uk and i have a car and uk insurance etc.. No i want to go to Ireland for 2-3 months and want to bring my car over, Can i get stopped for having my car overhere for to long etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unless you are taking up residence here (ie. work, flat, etc) you are a visitor ...no problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Once you hold a UK licence, no probs with UK car for up to a year before you have to re register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Bradidup wrote:
    Once you hold a UK licence, no probs with UK car for up to a year before you have to re register it.

I still have an irish lis have not changed it, hasnt been nessary .I will be stayin at my parents place so wont be rentin...

Im not sure on that one but in the old days it was illegal to drive a UK car in Ireland with an Irish licence, customs could confiscate it, maybe someone else might have a more up to date answer. The other option is to swap your current licence with the DVLA Swansey for a UK one and you would have no probs. You cant hold dual licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Why dont you email customs to find out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

For 2 months I doubt there will be a problem unless some neighbour kicks up a fuss to the guards about it outside the parents house. Chances of getting stopped day to day are VERY low. Last time I saw a checkpoint was 9 months + and wasnt even stopped just waved through as usual.

Re customs they give you 24 hours to get out as far as i know unless you give lip then you can say bye bye car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For 2 months I doubt there will be a problem unless some neighbour kicks up a fuss to the guards about it outside the parents house. Chances of getting stopped day to day are VERY low. Last time I saw a checkpoint was 9 months + and wasnt even stopped just waved through as usual.

Re customs they give you 24 hours to get out as far as i know unless you give lip then you can say bye bye car.

I dotn know. I've seen 4 or 5 british reg'd cars stopped in various places around dublin in the last 2 weeks alone. Could be coincidence but i doubt it, i reckon gards are strting to pull them at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

They'd probably be customs checkpoints, which can be set up anywhere any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bradidup wrote:
    You cant hold dual licences.
    I'm open to correction but I think a dual license can be held if the licensee has passed a test in each juristiction. My brother did the car test in Ireland and the UK and held seperate licences. That was a good few years ago though. Perhaps it has changed since.

Yeah, wat i will do is always have a load of documentation with me at all times,if i get stopped etc then i can do something about it.. I wont be using my car very offen anyway and no chance of anyone complaning about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fey! wrote:
    They'd probably be customs checkpoints, which can be set up anywhere any time.

these were just cars stopped by individual gards either in a patrol car or on a bike.

I'm open to correction but I think a dual license can be held if the licensee has passed a test in each juristiction. My brother did the car test in Ireland and the UK and held seperate licences. That was a good few years ago though. Perhaps it has changed since.

Maybe in those circumstances if you keep your mouth shut and do the test in each country you could have two but if you transfer from one full to another full you must surrrender the old one. I had to do it with my Australian one.

Thing is a live in the Uk as a student which i am not allowed to exhange my lisence to a uk one for this reason. So really i am not allowed change my lisence.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

What difference does being a student make to whether you can change your licence or not. If you are a resident in the UK it surely doesn't matter whether you are working or a student ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Oh also forgot to mention guy on my road has been driving a English polo for 3/4 years at this stage he only got rid of it a wee while back. As far as i know he never got trouble about it from chatting in passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bradidup wrote:
    Im not sure on that one but in the old days it was illegal to drive a UK car in Ireland with an Irish licence, customs could confiscate it, maybe someone else might have a more up to date answer.

The issue is where you are resident, not what licence you have. If the OP can prove his residency to the satisfaction of Garda/Customs, there should be no problem.

Thing is a live in the Uk as a student which i am not allowed to exhange my lisence to a uk one for this reason. So really i am not allowed change my lisence.

AFAIK, residency as a student will not qualify you to import the car free of VRT when/if you return here for good. You would want to research this further yourself.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭lovell

AFAIK, residency as a student will not qualify you to import the car free of VRT when/if you return here for good. You would want to research this further yourself.

why is this?? anyone know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Request a duplicate license as you lost yours and surrender the original when getting your UK one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

so long as you can show you are resident in the UK, you won't have a problem. Electricity bill, phone bill, rent book, etc would do.

What you do need to do, though, is tell your UK ins co you are coming here for 3 months, to make sure you're insured.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

lovell wrote:
    why is this?? anyone know

Details of regulations re VRT exemptions/exclusions on Transfer of Residence here:

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt_3.htm

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement