Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh feck it, cancelling NTL?

Options
  • 24-03-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I'll be going back to the US in May (with luck) and before that NTL's service has gone to muck - torrents have been completely dead in Galway for the past month. So I may as well cancel as I'm really not getting my €40 worth a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

In Galway as well ...

it goes up .. it goes down ... it doesn't go at all ... (a lot recently .. for an always on service thats a laugh)

I'm trying to run an home office phone via broadband (voip) as well and that is truely a joke :|

I'm only on the middle package though ... Anyone in galway received any "letters" regarding downloading too much ? or is it just dublin based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Hi your talkling about torrents being crap they were crap for me aswell. I was using uTorrent , but then i got Azureus and that seems to be working a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Hi your talkling about torrents being crap they were crap for me aswell. I was using uTorrent , but then i got Azureus and that seems to be working a treat.

Hi Chris,

Major problems with NTL also. Using Azuereus, did you have to change any settings to get it to work? Mine is just showing that its firewalled and speeds are as slow as any other.

Any tips??

mollser wrote:
    Hi Chris,

Major problems with NTL also. Using Azuereus, did you have to change any settings to get it to work? Mine is just showing that its firewalled and speeds are as slow as any other.

Any tips??

Have you opened up a port on your firewall/router for Azuereus ... that should solve your firewalled problem :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm using Bitcommet and am getting 110kbps downloading a few series at the moment- and that is with a load of listening ports closed. I'm happy enough. Note: service was appalling up to about 2 weeks ago (I had to reboot the router several times a day, just to get it to connect to the server)- but they seem to have installed some sort of a signal booster locally. Cable TV is watchable too now (despite freezes and dropping frames- akin to the digital service, which is a bit odd, as its analogue......)

Shane

Edit: Now hitting over 280Kbps....... yummy!

• Advertisement

Got a port open on my firewall now, (I think!), how do I access the router to change its settings? Sorry - this stuff isn't my strong point!!

Thanks!

open up 192.168.1.1 in a browser possibley ... and log in to your router ...

What type of router is it ? ... Guessing isn't really my strong point :P
    Config Panels for Different routers will be on different IP Addresses

Entering 192.168.1.1 brings up a netgear TA612v router which I use for Blueface, it sits after the NTL modem, which is one of the newer small purple ones, doesn't appear to be any model on that. I've googled this Netgear fella, and portforwarding it seems tricky.

I'm reluctant to change any settings as I haven't a clue what I'm doing and I don't want my phone to go dead!

If I do portforward the Blueface netgear router, is ntl modem another router that needs to be fiddled with, and how do I access it??

Will portforwarding (allocating static ip etc) affect my Blueface phone??

:confused::confused::confused:

thanks!

Hmm... will it affect things ...
    I don't know ...

There appears to be QoS on it so just make sure thats enabled and portforward away .. if you find it affecting your call quality just remove the portforwarding ? :)

That said ... I've not used it ... personally so I can't say ...

You might also limit Azuereus uploading / downloads as well ..

Hey man, sorry for taking so long to get back. No i didnt have to change any settings on Azureus . Im using port 12888.

Also no there is nothing you need to change on the NTL modem( infact there is nothing you CAN change) .:)

• Advertisement

Hey man, sorry for taking so long to get back. No i didnt have to change any settings on Azureus . Im using port 12888.

Also no there is nothing you need to change on the NTL modem( infact there is nothing you CAN change) .:)

No worries! Am now using the same port, its not happening for me at all! I wonder has the shaping software failed on NTL where you are!! Am going to persist for the next few weeks as I am, but they're running out of time :p

Its gone to ****e for me now again!!! They must be reading these posts!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive gotten the letter! I think im paying €40 a month which is the max package? Which is meant to be 6mb? Im getting less than 3mb! Going to have to wait for a bill to see!

If im paying €40 im going to ring them and find out!

I thinking of chaging to smart or someone! Even Eircom! I never had problems with them ever!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Yeah €40 is the MAX package I think which is the 6Mb one. It didnt say it on the letter?? Yeah I would have moved to Smart a Few weeks ago if they still did that free line rental offer, but Now that they dont i cant afford to .:(

DeafVision wrote:
    Ive gotten the letter! I think im paying €40 a month which is the max package? Which is meant to be 6mb? Im getting less than 3mb! Going to have to wait for a bill to see!

If im paying €40 im going to ring them and find out!

I thinking of chaging to smart or someone! Even Eircom! I never had problems with them ever!

Can you try downloading part of an ISO for redhat or similar and see what speeds you're getting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I was getting 350K down on Fri with Azereus here in Waterford. Haven't checked since then though. I'm on the 3Mb line.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

consistently getting 350Kb using utorrent here in Waterford. 3 x 350mb episodes this morning, d/l in less than 45 mins. All running simultaneously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jpw

problems in naas too (chorus) for the last two weeks (march 15-28) connection speeds are up and down and pings are sometimes coming in at 300-550ms to ntlworld.ie and yahoo.com which is terrible. also irishisptest.com is never getting above 2.1Mb even though i have a 6Mb line.

phoned chorus/ntl many times about it and continue to have problems tech guys at chorus are puzzled too. its not just me either other people in my area are getting the same crap.

also torrents have almost stopped working and never get above 5kBs at times, but every now and again itll run at 250kBs so service is totally unpredictable.

since ntl/chorus became one the service of chorus has dropped big time, although i would imagine that ntl can't get any worse but chorus was a good service until ntl became part of it. anyone knows when upc plan on moving to the one brand and fixing the problems. maybe the poor service of late is because both services are being merged, but i hope they get their act together soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

You can't base speed test on torrents, they rely on the speed on the connection from where you are receiving it as well as a heap of other overheads (amount of peers, leechers, seeds etc.). You need to do a test download from a fixed site with a good reputation to see what are you are really getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

provided that there isnt any traffic shaping occuring or that their backbone and routers are able to support up to 200 concerrent connections per user. Both of which can result in torrent speed being greatly reduced and not things like HTTP traffic to a website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement