Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earth Defense Force 2017

• 24-03-2007 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

im absolutely LOVING this game right now

pure, unadulterated oldskule shoot em up fun in a nice modern presentation

most fun ive had in a while with a video game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Are the graphics as cheap and crappy as all the reviews say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theres a fair bit of pop up and the likes in the distance and a bit of slowdown when youve tonnes of enemies on the screen but beyond that they serve their purpose fine and dandy... some lovely explosions

id nearly go so far as to say that this is the best game on the 360 so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Saw a video of it on xbox live, dont know what to make of it. Is there a demo available? forgot to check :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's ****ing brilliant. Ignore all the techy rubbish, the game at it's heart is a brilliantly old school run-and-gun game brought kicking and screaming into the current generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Picked it up earlier today,
    Frame-rate is absolutely appaling, especially with the sub-PS2 level graphics, you probably wouldn't believe its a 360 game unless you had the pad in your hand;) ............BUT, there may be a nice little game in there, not sure it'll have the longevity to be "great" game, and I think some of the reviews have gone a little overboard, but it is a budget title which makes no pretentions of being otherwise..
    Its a shame about the frame-rate, as it jumps to a silky 60fps with no enemies or destructible objects on-screen, and its only then you wish the entire game ran as solidly. But is doesn't completely ruin the experience.
    The core gameplay is fast, enjoyable and good for quick blast every now and then. After only a few hours, I'd thoroughly recommend it if you find it for its correct, cheap price..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

McDermotX wrote:
    Picked it up earlier today,
    Frame-rate is absolutely appaling, especially with the sub-PS2 level graphics, you probably wouldn't believe its a 360 game unless you had the pad in your hand;) ............BUT, there may be a nice little game in there, not sure it'll have the longevity to be "great" game, and I think some of the reviews have gone a little overboard, but it is a budget title which makes no pretentions of being otherwise..
    Its a shame about the frame-rate, as it jumps to a silky 60fps with no enemies or destructible objects on-screen, and its only then you wish the entire game ran as solidly. But is doesn't completely ruin the experience.
    The core gameplay is fast, enjoyable and good for quick blast every now and then. After only a few hours, I'd thoroughly recommend it if you find it for its correct, cheap price..

Will wait untill I can find it second hand, but will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

Well it seems to be going cheap on cdwow and play at the moment. Only €28.99 on cdwow http://www.cdwow.ie/detail_results_3.php?product_code=1904962
    or €27.99 on play http://play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3328992/Earth_Defence_Force_2017/Product.html
    seems to be one of the cheapest 360 game out there. Don't know if this is a reflection on the quality of the game or if there is some other reason?

Also not sure how much trouble people are still having with custome but it'd probably still work out cheaper than a shop if it was stopped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game was a budget game with japan and is released here as a budget game. As for the quality of the game, technically it's pretty bad with lots of slowdown and cheap looks with some awful AI issues.

However it is an absolute blast to play, pure unadulterated fun and there are very few games that offer that nowadays.

At full price I'd have reservations about it but at the price it is going at it's a must have considering it's the most fun I've had with the 360. It only gets better in Co-op.

The graphics might not be great but there are some amazing moments like the first time you see a mass of ants climbing over the city towards you, the huge fleet of gunships on the horizon, the first time you battle the ARMs walkers and the eye blistering finale. The amount and size of the enemies and the destructible city are what really wow you in the game.

D3 publishing did an excellent job with the localisation, with plenty of cheese that really suits the B-movie feel of the game.

'E.D.F.! E.D.F.!'

Can't recommend it enough.

I've heard that the EDF game that came before this one (on PS2) is even better. It's called Global Defence Force here and has unfortunately been delayed until October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yep, top marks from me! I've only played it in co-op, but it really is fantastic. Nothing like leveling a city whilst taking down giant robots with rocket launchers!

The appalling localisation just adds to the charm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, it's so cheesy you can't help but love it. The "dialogue" is so bad it's awesome.

"It's like something out of the sci-fi movie!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always feel like chanting along to the EDF! chant and love it when they all cheer after killing a wave of enemies :)

There's a good 8 hours play in this game but it's one of the few games that I've gone back to try on higher difficulty levels since I had so much fun the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote:

I've heard that the EDF game that came before this one (on PS2) is even better. It's called Global Defence Force here and has unfortunately been delayed until October.

That's actually the second in the series - the first one is called Monster Attack in Europe and was released by Agetec. It's definately worth picking up, but you'll probably have to resort to eBay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:

GameCentral keep on going on about this being the bestest game since evars. Word is it has a jet pack. And we all know jet packs kick all sorts of ass when they are used outside of James Bond games.

As for 2017, it seems like it is well worth a pick up. Im blaming you guys if it stinks poorly ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

So is this available in shops or is it an online job? €27.99 from play seems pretty good but will there be a chance of incurring import tax with something this price. Can't remember if the threshold is €23 or €46...

Advertisement