Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landowners required for rifle licence

Options
  • 24-03-2007 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I am having trouble getting into the local gun club, being a blow in etc not part of the local clique. Can anyone tell me how many landowners do you need to get a licence for a .22 rifle? Do the landowners need to have a certain amount of land to qualify?

I am in Laois, Abbeyleix Super will be the man looking at my paperwork.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Depends on where you are

Normally its two letters from two farmers but once theres a decent amount of land shouldnt be a problem. If you can get two though would be better.

I was only asked for 1 on my last application but i already have a licence and they know me in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Two landowners,and there is no acreage limitation.
    However the landowners/farmers do not have to be in your district either.You can have one say,local and one on the other side of the country.Just get the distant ones land folio nr to prove that they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

are you sure clare gunner theres no acreage limit
    when i got my application forms i was told by the dealer
    the landowners had to have 50 acres between them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Bond. Do you want the rifle primarily for target shooting or hunting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Targets mostly. The only hunting would be the odd rat in the back field.

• Advertisement

then get a letter from the club where your going to be shooting membership/permission and a letter from a land owner

ASFIK this is the standard,unless this has changed recently.The only requirement is for deer hunting,where the landowners area is checked by Coillte for deer numbers.

I will try the 2 farmer approach.

How many rounds are you allowed to keep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The default amount of rounds is 100. You can apply for more if your FAO or Superintendent is okay with it.

As for the two letters from farmers: where do you suggest to go target-shooting? On their land? As I understand it the letters from farmers is mainly for hunting reasons. Target-shooting requires a letter from a rifle/shooting club, that was my understanding anyway.

Best,

Preusse

I shall tell them that it's for hunting only.

• Advertisement

Preusse wrote:
    The default amount of rounds is 100. You can apply for more if your FAO or Superintendent is okay with it.

Default has been increased to 500 ASFIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

if it has it will take a while to filter down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, I got my licenses with 100 default recently. Is the minimum of 500 rounds on the Irish license or the European Firearms Pass?

Best,
    Preusse

The Irish liscense.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

The Irish liscense.
    hi claregunner when has this 500 default come in i applied for a licence a few weeks ago and 100 was put on it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The europass has a default limit of 500, and there's an argument that the higher limit in the europass forces the Irish licence limit up to meet it.

I'm personally not yet convinced because EU firearms law doesn't often overrule local firearms law, and I've not seen anyone acceeding to the argument in the powers that be.

Will check my license when it comes through but im expected 100 to be on it dont see it as a problem its not a rule that is enforced really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

there is a rifle and pistol range near rahen in county offaly. you can get the phone number down off the website just google it. he chatges about 400 for a years membership but i know a few people who have been looking to get a high powered rifle and also looking for pistol licenses and couldnt obtain them, but after they joined this club they didnt have much probloms as this range caters for all types of guns. maybe you should check this out, its expensive but worth a try if your really interested

Just strange,as with all mine last year,bar the limited cert were increased to 500,without me saying anything.So maybe it is becoming a default?

thats strange because i havnt heard of any license that allows more than 100, but as said its not enforced. i hear that they are going to be making changes to legislation in the next month. will that effect current license holders for rifles and shotguns much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

dont post two often lads .

just had a look at my certs 2 shotgun default 300 each.
    have had 300 on shotguns for years.
    .22 lr default 200 never had to ask going on the last 3 years.

Back to my original Question. I spoke to the FO in the local station today and she told me that 2 landowners is enough and that the gun cabinet is mandatory.

Will they call out to look at the cabinet or will a receipt for it be enough?

usually they wont call out to see the cabinit and im in the laois area so we probobly have the same super. show them the receipt at the station and dont let the negativity your gettin put you off. when i went in about my license for my rifle the garda asked me the same questions about my gun club membership and my safe and i got the impression that if i dint have membership or a safe he wasnt going to fill in my application, fortunatly i did have these but still after filling in the forms he told me he thought it was doubtful i would get the license but in my personal opinion i dont think the garda was fond of letting anyone have a gun, (with the way crime has gone in the country i know the have somewhat of a point, but a gun is only as dangerous as the person that uses it!), but three weeks later i had it. in point dont let these things put you off, get your land owners permission or join a rifle club as i said and it should be steady sailing for you, but most important you never know until your application is made

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

stevoman wrote:
    i did have these but still after filling in the forms he told me he thought it was doubtful i would get the license but in

Bloody cheek:mad: Did they elaborate on what grounds you were "not" going to get it on?

no he didnt he just told me it was a completly different situation between a shotgun(which i have) and having a license for a rifle. i got it no probs, but i found that with the person in question he wqas quite negative about the whole thing, but as i said they do have somewhat of a point but im a firm beleiver that as i said a gun is onlt as dangerous as the person that uses it.

Bond,
    You can do both,either give them the recipt and/or let them see it.On a diplomatic point,I would let them see the cabinet.BUT thats all!Not let them off tramping around the house to check "security" of doors and windows or photograph the cabinet.:eek: Let them be aware that you know the law and that inspecting the cabinet means just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

stevoman wrote:
    there is a rifle and pistol range near rahen in county offaly. you can get the phone number down off the website just google it. he chatges about 400 for a years membership but i know a few people who have been looking to get a high powered rifle and also looking for pistol licenses and couldnt obtain them, but after they joined this club they didnt have much probloms as this range caters for all types of guns. maybe you should check this out, its expensive but worth a try if your really interested

400:eek: fack that.:confused:

its not really that bad of a bargain if you are a high powered rifle or pistol enthusiast.

I got my 2 letters and went to the cop shop yesterday to apply for my licence. How long on average does it take before I am approved?

• Advertisement

Think it is now 90 days max that they have to respond. Did U get your recipt stamped with the date today as proof that this was the day you dropped it in?Cos if there is any funny biz about it getting lost or deemed refused without informing you of such,there is proof that it went into the system on that date.

Advertisement