Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landowners required for rifle licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Got nothing from them at all. They gave a vague timeline of 6 weeks. They said I was to pay when the application was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't think the 90 days bit is commenced yet CG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So they can keep you hanging on indefenitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sharpie

First post here, but have browsed for a long while.

Applied for shotgun license recently and they say it would also take about 6 weeks...only took 3 1/2 weeks in the end. Maybe just luck...but a few friends of mine had the same sort of wait. Probably differs area by area though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Sparks wrote:
    I don't think the 90 days bit is commenced yet CG.

Sparks
    In reply to my question, on the 9th March, about the three month limit, you replied..

”So yes, the three month limit is in"

Can you clear it up once and for all.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Just strange,as with all mine last year,bar the limited cert were increased to 500,without me saying anything.So maybe it is becoming a default?

Mine was 100, My FO said his super only dole'd out 100rnd limits.
    I'm gonna look for an increase when it comes time to renewel.
    Realistically 200 would do me but it would be nice to buy a brick.
    (Or I may look into getting a European licence) Also will be looking into
    a Moderator. Which I know will be refused. I know poeple have
    said you need written permission by the super for one but I dont see
    that written in the firearms act they only have a definition that a silencer
    could form a componant part of a firearm.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

bullets wrote:
    Mine was 100, My FO said his super only dole'd out 100rnd limits.
    I'm gonna look for an increase when it comes time to renewel.
    Realistically 200 would do me but it would be nice to buy a brick.
    (Or I may look into getting a European licence) Also will be looking into
    a Moderator. Which I know will be refused. I know poeple have
    said you need written permission by the super for one but I dont see
    that written in the firearms act they only have a definition that a silencer
    could form a componant part of a firearm.

~B
    FIREARMS AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT, 1990 SECTION 7

1990 12 7

Possession, sale, etc., of silencers. 7.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence if he has in his possession or sells or transfers to another person a silencer unless the possession, sale or transfer is authorised in writing by the superintendent of the district in which the first-mentioned person resides.

(2) A superintendent shall not grant an authorisation under this section unless he is satisfied that the person who is to have possession of the silencer or to whom it is to be sold or transferred is the holder of a firearm certificate for a firearm to which the silencer can be fitted and that—

( a ) having regard to all the circumstances, the possession, sale or transfer concerned will not endanger the public safety or the peace, and
    ( b ) the person has a special need that is, in the opinion of the superintendent, sufficient to justify the granting of the authorisation for the silencer.
    (3) The superintendent of the district where the holder of an authorisation under this section resides may, at any time, attach to the authorisation such conditions as he considers necessary for the purpose of preventing danger to the public or to the peace or of ensuring that the silencer is used only to satisfy the special need for which the authorisation was granted.

(4) An authorisation under this section may be granted for such period not exceeding one year as is specified in the authorisation and may be revoked by the superintendent of the district where its holder resides.

(5) A person who contravenes a condition attached to an authorisation under this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both, or
    ( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

Advertisement