Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech v Germany

• 24-03-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

2-0 Now. Looks like Löw is giving us a lifelife

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

2-1 @ 79 mins. This could be a good result for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Germany win is good, we want Germany to run away with the group but for us to nick something against them..

However this is all considering Ireland miracolousy turn into a decent team and beat the Slovaks on Wednesday :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well we got the result we wanted, let's hope we can work from it despite, despite, the team selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

That was a very good game by CZ and DE. It was very open, very attacking and very positive football and end-to-end stuff at times. From the bits that I saw (on in background) it was very entertaining stuff and its good to see RTE showing a game like that.

In terms of our qualification and aims in this group, at the start we were unfortunate to be drawn in a very tough group, as Czech Republic and Germany are both good and highly ranked. Other groups are weaker on paper.

When the draw was made, and as 4th seeds in this group, I didnt expect us to qualify and I still dont. Did the majority of people seriously think we were gonna pip CZ and DE?

Yes, we should aim for it. Yes, it is possible that we could do it, but was it truly an expectation and nothing less would be seen as a failure? I dont buy that, and if the Irish fan base is claiming that non-qualificaion is a disaster, then I think those expectations are too high and misguided.

For us, and in this group, I think a reasonable target should be 3rd, and that is still possible. We are competing directly with Slovakia (3rd seeds), not DE and not CZ. And we are still in the hunt for that, albeit coming from behind as unfortunately, Slovakia beat Cyprus in Cyprus on Sat. So now we need to get some good results against them. 4 pts is our target but nothing less than a win on Wed will do.

In a way, a CZ-DE draw would have been better as that would mean that they would need less when they play us.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I disagree,

I thought the Czechs were overall very poor, The Germans should have won by 2 or 3 clear goals. The Czech goal was very fortunate. Germany are an extremely good team so let them walk away with it... The Czechs are on a downward spiral and if we had a decent team we should be able to turn them over along with the Slovakians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Maths were never my strong point but surely a draw would be the best scenario? Both getting one point and staying at 11, meaning Ireland would have topped the group if they win Wednesday, and sit there until September (for you fans of the psychological side of the game). Technically, a run of woeful draws from the Czechs and the Germans next winter could put us in place to top the group.

Then again, if me auntie had balls......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    When the draw was made, and as 4th seeds in this group, I didnt expect us to qualify and I still dont. Did the majority of people seriously think we were gonna pip CZ and DE?
    Why not? After the Sweden match I thought it was very possible. The Czechs are nothing special as individuals but they at least play well as a team. McGeady's much better than Sionko and he can't even make our team. The two Reid's would make a huge difference for their football brains alone. I'd like to see something like...
    Given
    Finnan---Dunne---McShane---O'Shea
    Carsley

Reid
    Reid
    --Keane
    Duff----
    Doyle

Barcelona style. :) The likes of Ireland, Stokes, McGeady, O'Dea, Long all good young players for back up.
    shane86 wrote:
    Maths were never my strong point but surely a draw would be the best scenario? Both getting one point and staying at 11, meaning Ireland would have topped the group if they win Wednesday, and sit there until September (for you fans of the psychological side of the game). Technically, a run of woeful draws from the Czechs and the Germans next winter could put us in place to top the group.

Well Germany are going to qualify no matter what so it's better for us if they just keep winning. They're actually favourites to win the Euros and might be worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

shane86 wrote:

exactly. I think people get a bit carried away trying to say the other teams aren't all they're hyped up to be, but we are sooo bad at this stage it doesn't matter if the other teams aren't anywhere near their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Wouldnt call it foregone conclusion just yet. Didnt Cyprus hold Germany to a draw at home? I think there is still room for the Czechs and Germans to suffer the odd upset. As said, the Czechs are no more the team of Euro Championships we remember from the 90s.

Advertisement