Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French

Options
  • 24-03-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

Hi, im a junior cert in the process of deciding my leaving cert choices and am just wondering what french is like for the leaving cert, is it hard??what kinda result could be achieved with a fair bit of work??

note:i'll prob get an A in the junior cert, high B defiantely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Why would you drop it if you're able to Ace the JC...

Some find it hard, some find it ridiculously easy, it all depends on the person.

I adore it, absolutely wonderful subject and language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I detest it as a subject but I'm good at it.

I say do it, if you're like me you can do fúck all work and get a B(I got 81% in the written paper and 73% overall in mocks and I haven't opened the book at home since Christmas and I have the world's worst teacher.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

do german if you have done it for the junior cert, it's such a deadly subject for leaving cert and the accent is easier to master!you can get yourself easy marks on the written paper expecially in the applied grammar section (angewandte grammatik) if you know your stuff!oral is really structured too so ur not left going in with just a document like they do in french 'cos with the german you have the bildergeschichte (picture stories) rollen spielen(role-plays) and then the allegemeine frangen (general questions) and with asome good acting you can pull them off and not look like you learned them off by heart!mach deutsch!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

timmywex wrote:
    what kinda result could be achieved with a fair bit of work??

note:i'll prob get an A in the junior cert, high B defiantely

With a "fair bit of work," you'll most likely get an A or a B, if you have a natural talent for French, as you seem to. I got an A in the Junior Cert. I find it hard to sit down and study for French as you tend to learn the language by listening in class and doing homework, and so with minimal study I got a B1 in the Pre. Keep it on definitely, it's not too hard.
    I actually don't think the document is such a bad idea. Fair enough you can get the odd abstract question related to it, but you'll usually have this covered anyway, and it lets you ramble on something you've chosen for up to three minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

It's boring as hell, but piss-easy at the same time. I've done no work over the last 5 years, and I still got a C in the mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd never done much work for it up till this year. Got a C2 in the Mocks, up from D2 in Christmas(where we did a full paper aswell) If your willing to put in the work, like you appear to, definately go for it, its not the worst of subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, if your just looking for the 3rd language requirement for Uni then do OL French for the leaving. I did nearly all the exam papers in OL in one year. It's piss easy and requires very little work.

Higher Level french requires a bit more effort, particularly in the writing section. Other than that, it's easy to get an honor in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If you're competant in it, there should be no problem. There isn't much of a course, just a few new grammar yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I struggled like hell and got a C in JC honours, dropped to pass and it's more or less the same course again. Stick with honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

It's easy enough, I'd say do it

• Advertisement
Advertisement