Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless in Maynooth

Options
  • 25-03-2007 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Moved to Maynooth recently enough and I wanted to set up wireless BB. Not sure which ISP to go with though since there are pitfalls with every one of them. Gaming and file sharing is pretty much what I'd be using it for so can anybody give me advice on which ISP I should sign up with? Any response would be much apprciated! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Clearwire block ports. The service is fine though (friend has it in Maynooth) for regular browsing etc.. but no use to you because you want gaming and file sharing so stay clear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moved to Maynooth recently enough and I wanted to set up wireless BB. Not sure which ISP to go with though since there are pitfalls with every one of them. Gaming and file sharing is pretty much what I'd be using it for so can anybody give me advice on which ISP I should sign up with? Any response would be much apprciated! :confused:

Do you mean that a wireless isp is the only option you will consider or that you want to set up a wireless network in your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'll consider everything but preferably I'd like to go wireless since it'd be by far the most convenient and economical I think. Any other input would be appreciated concerning reliable broadband, (if there's such a thing in Ireland). Is ICE Broadband supposed to be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

I'll consider everything but preferably I'd like to go wireless since it'd be by far the most convenient and economical I think. Any other input would be appreciated concerning reliable broadband, (if there's such a thing in Ireland). Is ICE Broadband supposed to be any good?
    I had ClearWire in Maynooth for a year ... it was fine for browsing/email, but as already said, stay away if you want to use file sharing.
    I have friends who have ICE in Meath - it worked great for them until a few weeks ago when torrents stopped working suddenly for an unknown reason.
    I currently have Eircom DSL and have had no problems at all. Don't do much gaming, but torrent stuff works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have a friend in Maynooth on Digiweb Metro 3mb package. He gets over 2.5mb nearly all the time, usually 2.8mb. They dont block ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

A couple of other people's opinions of ICE in Maynooth ... http://portal.maynooth.org/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=195&page=viewtopic&t=406&sid=8ef364069421e02e3566aadafb8f81d2

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

Digiweb's Metro service is available in Maynooth. I'm nearby and have it and get close to the maximum speeds any time I'm using it. No complaints! Even though it's a wireless service, you also get two telephone ports on the box in addition to the data connection!

Advertisement