Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sata2 drive on sata1 mobo

• 25-03-2007 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Got a new seagate drive for extra space recently and set the jumper to limit to sata1 1.5Gb/s transfer and got it set up fine. Formatted recently and since then the drive isn't being recognised under xp anymore. The bios sees it but other than that there's no sight of it. Works on any sata2 board so it's not the drive. Installed the most up to date sata drivers for my board too so not sure why it's not workin', i figure it's driver related but any input would be muchly appreciated. The extra drive's a 300gb barracuda, msi k8t-neo mobo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Have you checked the disk management console in control panel\administrative tools\computer management

If the drive does not show in My Computer it needs to be assigned a drive letter first or try formatting it again through Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Arsetrousers

It's not listed in there, nor will something like partition manager see it either. It works perfectly on any sata2 mainboard and still contains all data so i'm still thinking it's driver related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You should not need a driver installed in the first place as it the SATA controller emulates an IDE controller so Windows uses the standard IDE driver.

A few suggestions;
    Check the bios make sure it is running in emulation mode, SATA RAID mode is disabled
    Uninstall the SATA driver you installed
    Try taking off the SATA1 compatibility jumper

Bios is fine after a recheck, fiddled endlessly with the jumpers and device channels and tried several drivers. Unless there's some sort of seagate-specific driver i haven't heard of, like the other sata drives work fine. Not sure what the hell's gone wrong. Might just try format windows again.

Thanks for the help but found out that i have a damaged controller which took down an sata socket, probably have to get a new board. Cheers 8t8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement