Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista+wep

• 25-03-2007 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

i am trying to connect a vista pc to an existing network which is wep protected.
    the vista pc sees the network and asks for the key but rejects the key because it must consist of 5 or 13 characters.
    any ideas as to what is happening?
    the wep passphrase is 8 digits and is accepted by all other computers on the system.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The passphrase is used to generate the WEP, but it's not the actual WEP itself. WEP key should be listed in the router's config pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

it does not give you those options though-it simply asks for the passphrase-no option either for 64 or 128.

What model is the router?

linkysys n1 which does give you all the wep options it is the wirless on the vista which does not

You mean Belkin N1.

Read the instructions here as to how to manually set up wireless connection in Vista. Set Security type and Encryption type to WEP.

• Advertisement

it is a linksys and i have followed all those steps to no avail. thanks for yor time.

I can't find the N1 on the linksys site. But if I google all I get back is links to Belkin N1. Can you provide a link to it?

apologies for not replying sooner, i was away for a few days. it is a linksys wireless n, my spologies.
    i changed the wep code to 13 characters which solved the problem.
    vista does not like wep though!i

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not use WPA much easier to use IMHO and much more secure?

Advertisement