Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed Please!

Options
  • 25-03-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

first time posting in this part of boards.

I'm graduating from college this year and I'm moving from Cork to Dublin for a full time position. I'm thinking of buying a car. I'm 23 had my full licence since I was 17, no points or anything. been insured on parents cars for the past 6 years.

I test drove a 2004 1.2 16v Fiat Stilo on friday. It costs €13,000 but the dealer would give it to me for €10,000 because a member of my family has bought a lot of commercial jeeps from him.

I just don't know whether to go for it or not. The car is like new only 17,000 miles on it and its in perfect condition, one previous owner. :confused:

My only problem is just whether or not to get it because of whether I would actually use it in Dublin or not and if I could afford it. I will be living in a house in Dublin with prob 3/4 friends on about 30k a year. The car would mainly be used for going back and forth to work (not sure where i'll be living yet) work will prob be the east point business park. and used for travelling back and forth to cork every 2nd weekend.

I just don't know would I get the value from the car but its such a good bargain at that price and its as close to new you will get on a second hand car

any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

My brother got a Fiat Stilo last year, paid 9,500 32000miles and 03, very happy with it, uses it regularly on the Dublin Ennis route. They are very economical, only probs with them as with all Fiat is their depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given the nature of the driving I'd pass on a petrol car and get a diesel you'll really appricate it on the runs to and from Cork.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

from http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm
    What's Bad
    The market doesn't seem to be taking to it big-time, which might turn to the buyers advantage if FIAT is forced to discount or launder the cars into nearly-news via the rental fleets. Camber problem on front wheels causes uneven tyre wear. Stilo 6th bottom model in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. Came 3rd = from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 71.2%. Reader feedback tells me this is a disaster zone of a car with too many problems to list. Best stayed well away from. A/c con densor prone to holing.
    What to Watch Out For
    'Which?' subscribers report leaks into the boot and faulty gearboxes. Check a/c blows cold.
    From stories I have heard it is a disaster zone alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

hmm sounds dodgy alright, i've heard mixed things about stilos. for every one or two people i know that have had them and loved them there is a horror story for someone else.

I hadn't really considered a diesel might be better alright for the longer drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Thats a about average to a Fiat Stylo. I dont think the guy is doing anything special for you. Most garages will drop a chunk from the list price, particularly a Fiat. In 3 years time you will get €0 for that car. Its a buyers market out there for second hand cars.

Car ownership is very expensive. €10K will cost you approx €310pm over 3 years.
    Petrol will cost you about €1K for 8K miles. Insurance will cost you approx €2K per year servicing/tyres/repairs/cleaning will average approx €400 per year. Oh yea and tax is 250

to add that up

loan 3720
    fuel 1000
    tax 250
    ins 2000
    maint 400
    total 7370 per year = 615 € per month

If you really need a car then you got to buy a car. but if you can survive a year, you'll save yourself over €7K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

thanks very much dil999, great post. Think that just sorted it for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone ban dil999, this a motoring forum not the anti-motoring forum! :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Someone ban dil999, this a motoring forum not the anti-motoring forum! :p

Mike.

LOL

I meant that he can save his 7K to buy an even nicer car next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just on a note about your workplace. I'm currently on engagement out in the Eastpoint business park, and I don't drive there because parking spaces are fairly tight, depending on the company you work for. It might be a factor to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

dil999 wrote:
    loan 3720
    fuel 1000
    tax 250
    ins 2000
    maint 400
    total 7370 per year = 615 € per month

It doesn't cost close to that!

I was in the exact same situation last yr (more or less, same age, etc)

I had no loan, and did something with 10k miles, but

depreciation €2000
    fuel:900
    tax: 480
    insc: 1100
    maint: 50 = 4530, and that was with a 1.8 car.

In reality I got the car at a very "right" price, and I would get the same for it if I sold it in the morning, so about 11k miles really cost me €2500. Even if I could have availed of it (and I couldn't), public transport would have cost far more.

Maintenance was low last yr with only an oil change by myself, but it has already got 4 new tyres this year and will need a timing belt in the next 5k miles. On the other hand insurance was halved, so it's swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Like maidhc said, your insurance won't come close to €2k these days. I got insured for the first time last year at the age of 24 with a provisional licence for €1600 with Quinn Direct. My renewal's coming up and I'll be 25 with a full licence and the renewal quote was €750.

However, like dudara said, parking is scarce in East Point Business park. For commuting purposes, you'd be best finding somewhere to rent close to the park (Fairview/Marino would be an ideal area) and cycling in. For travelling down to Cork, you have the train (€45 return with an under-26 card).

Still though, nothing like the freedom of your own car :)

maidhc wrote:
    It doesn't cost close to that!

I was in the exact same situation last yr (more or less, same age, etc)

I had no loan, and did something with 10k miles, but

depreciation €2000
    fuel:900
    tax: 480
    insc: 1100
    maint: 50 = 4530, and that was with a 1.8 car.

In reality I got the car at a very "right" price, and I would get the same for it if I sold it in the morning, so about 11k miles really cost me €2500. Even if I could have availed of it (and I couldn't), public transport would have cost far more.

Maintenance was low last yr with only an oil change by myself, but it has already got 4 new tyres this year and will need a timing belt in the next 5k miles. On the other hand insurance was halved, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Cant comment on your specific costs, but for a 2004 stilo: I probably am overstating the insurance, so knock a grand off. Every thing else is pretty close to the mark. If you go to a car wash every 2 months you are looking at €50 per year. One service €150. one tyre on average per year €100 thats €300. I guarantee you you will easily have another €150 per year on average for miscellaneous costs. If the OP has to take out a loan for 10K thats what it will cost him. (If he can pay from his savings, then it will cost him a little less, but he is still forgoing the interest on thoise savings so its not very much less. It would cost him/her about 3500 per year. (When the OP goes to sell, they wont get a cent for a 6-7 year old Stilo, no matter what Carzone says)

You do of course have to take public transport costs into account, and Stark is right
    Stark wrote:
    Still though, nothing like the freedom of your own car

Advertisement