Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It started!

Options
  • 25-03-2007 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

My trusty bargin basement lawnmower had'nt turned a blade since last October so I was anticipating the worst, in the event after priming the pump a few times and 6 pulls later it started cleanly.

Trouble is now i have to cut the lawns :(

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

My petrol mower won't start. I think it needs a new plug. Oh well, TG4 Dun na nDall v Ciarrai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Cut mine yesterday. It was like a bloody meadow. Should have cut it months ago!! Still, it's done now!

Smashey, you could try cleaning and drying the plug. Was it starting ok last season?

It was working fine last year. I will clean the plug and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was planning on cutting mine today for the first time, but a nice lie-in along with having to go out now to do a bit of shopping are putting that plan to bed.

Next week, i swear.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

delly wrote:

Next week, i swear.....

Yeah me too. Maybe with the brighter evenings I'll get a chance midweek.....

Smashey, put fresh petrol into it - sometimes petrol can go dead if it's left lying for a while. Failing that, remove the plug and clean it - leave it for an hour before putting it back to allow the cumbustion chamber to dry out in case it's flooded/condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Started mine up mid December in the hope it would do some good now - and it did (sort of). Took about 30 pulls to get it started...:mad: What's the lifespan of your typical Briggs & Stratton engine anyway assuming regular service?

Darwin wrote:
    What's the lifespan of your typical Briggs & Stratton engine anyway assuming regular service?

All depends on usage. With yearly servicing and an average size lawn, you could reasonably expect 15 years from the engine. Usually, the deck or wheels will have given way before the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got the back garden done, 5 months growth but done in a single pass, though it'll take a few more trims before it looks half decent (and half decent is the best it ever gets!)

Mike.

crosstownk wrote:
    Yeah me too. Maybe with the brighter evenings I'll get a chance midweek.....

Smashey, put fresh petrol into it - sometimes petrol can go dead if it's left lying for a while. Failing that, remove the plug and clean it - leave it for an hour before putting it back to allow the cumbustion chamber to dry out in case it's flooded/condensation.

I will. Next week. Too many distractions today with Donegal beating Kerry :D and a nice restaurant for dinner.

I bit the bullet this evening and decided to tackle the garden as it was a nice day. Dragged the mower out of the shed, slowly pulled the rip cord a few times to make sure nothing had seized, pressed the fuel 'injector' 6 times (instead of the recommended 3), pulled the cord, and it started first time. Mind you, it stopped a billion times as I strove on into 8 inch high grass!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

pulled out our ol' rickety lawn mower, filled her with petrol and topped up the oil and by joves away she went, purring like a kitten..

Mowed the lot and did a great job, if I mus say so meself......:D

woo hoo here comes summer!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Never got around to it last weekend. Will try to tackle it on Sunday - weather looks good. This is a crucial time of year to get the first high cut done....

A

Did the front lawns this afternoon, the moss is shocking on the shaded areas.

Mike.

I had to postpone the grass cutting again. It was raining here today.:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mine wont cut the grass 'cos, it gone far too long - am going to have to trim it with a clippers first and then cut it:(

irishbird wrote:
    mine wont cut the grass 'cos, it gone far too long - am going to have to trim it with a clippers first and then cut it:(

Tackle it with a strimmer, if you have one - way easier than the clippers!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

crosstownk wrote:
    Tackle it with a strimmer, if you have one - way easier than the clippers!

hmmm, good idea - has anyone got a lend of a strimmer? :D

Try a goat! :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Try a goat! :p

Mike.

At least you won't have any starting trouble!;)

Advertisement