Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to the states

Options
  • 25-03-2007 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

ok as a few people here know im in the process of moving to the states via a i129f visa.

im trying to get some things sorted out and although i have the paperwork side of things done etc im thinking in advance here and wondering whats the best way to ship some stuff over.clothes pc some bulky stuff etc.

i am considering bringing my car with me also so might consider loading it up with stuff and shipping it(its a subaru forrester and they cost more over there than i paid for it here)

so i was just looking for some of the guys that have already gone through this (ruu,galwaydude etc.) to give me some advice on where to go or try to get some info

thanks for any replies i recieve

EDIT: or should i just have a big ass last minute sale on adverts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I sold a large amount of my stuff before I left. I went a very long away around it and send a heap of boxes over there with clothes via economy mail a few months before I was leaving. Probably not the best of ways as economy takes forever and stuff can easily get lost.

I had eight suitcases going to the airport and knew I had to pay for the extra 4 (2 allowed per person) but the check-in lady said it was fine and not to bother with it so that saved me 200 euros. :) Best of luck, sounds like you are on the home stretch now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

did you use anpost or who ruu?

just looking for some idea of companies to try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah just An Post, sent a box every once in a while and eventually they all arrived safely. I'm sure there are easier methods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I did the same and shipped packages via an post to my wifes home address here in the states.

Anything was too bulky we just left behind at my parents house. Aer lingus also were very helpful and charged us 60 euro for any extra case we had.

So what part of the states are you moving too? Congrats on your upcoming marriage. Just remember the key is patience, it will all come together in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

thanks for the replies lads,very helpfull.i have found a shipping company i might use,sevenseas if you ever heard of them?.have a fair bit of stuff to bring so i think ill ship it over.

ill be moving to michigan at first,mabey stay there for a year or so,then move further south somewhere ,havent fully settled on where yet :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement