Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs. Slovakia

• 25-03-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

After limping through the Wales game, confidence can't be high for the visit of Slovakia on Wednesday. They won 3-1 against a ten man Cyprus in Cyprus.

Stephen Ireland and Shay Given - two of our most consistent performers - are doubtful, and Robbie Keane is suspended. Who's Stan going to go for? Who would you go for?

I'd go:
    Henderson/Colgan
    Finnan McShane Dunne O Shea
    McGeady Carsley Kilbane Hunt
    Duff
    Doyle

That team doesn't particularly fill me with confidence, but I can't see many alternatives!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Kilbane looked unfit and overweight and he cannot play on the wing / left / right side of midfield....in an ideal world, Hunt would come in, he played well when he came on, was the only one - at that point in the game - who showed any desire to do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd go:
    Henderson/Colgan
    Finnan McShane Dunne O Shea
    McGeady Carsley Kilbane Hunt
    Duff
    Doyle
    I'm guessing Staunton will stick with a pretty similar team for the match against Slovakia as he'll have deemed the match against Wales a success. Hunt looked promising so I imagine he'll get a start. Doyle will replace Keane upfront, this is my guess. . .

Henderson
    O'Shea McShane Dunne Finnan
    Duff Douglas Carsley Kilbane Hunt
    Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'm guessing Staunton will stick with a pretty similar team for the match against Slovakia as he'll have deemed the match against Wales a success

That's half the problem. He'll deem it a success just because we won, with no thought of the wider picture - that we played crap and only won because Wales were absolutely woeful. Wales are probably the second worst team in the group. Cyprus are better than them.

I think Given will be fit, he's having a scan or something but it's only precautionary. Doyle in for Keane is a certainty (or so you would imagine). Keane might not be that big a loss, he rarely scores in these key games anyway. I'd fancy Doyle to nick one.

Slovakia are said to be missing 3 of their better players, so who knows we might have half a chance. Much better side than Wales though.

this would be my team

given

finnan dunne mcshane o'shea

mcgeady ireland carsley Kilbane

doyle duff

fcuk knows what stan will do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

If Given is out, that's a massive blow, I don't really rate either of Ireland's backup keepers. I think Slovakia are pretty weak at the back (they haven't kept a clean sheet yet) but they are strong up front with Vittek and Mintál, and that would be my concern if we are missing Given.

They were comprehensively beaten by Germany and the Czech Republic, so if we tighten up at the back, then I think we should beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dunno why people are mentioning Kilbane to start, he didn't look match fit at all yesterday, started well but finished for me the worst player on the pitch. Hunt should start over him. Douglas's passing was piss poor, hoping Ireland can play in the middle against Slovakia and McGeady on the right like most say. If Ireland can't start i'd be inclined to actually put O'shea in the midfield, just have him and Carsley sitting while the rest do thier stuff up front. That would mean starting Harte though.... haven't seen him play in ages so I dunno what he's looking like these days. his set piece skills would be handy though, we were no real threat from them yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There's no doubt that we should with our players ease past Slovakia 2-0 but with Staunton i'd probably punt for a draw.

Slovakia will attack and attack and our defence ain't the greatest of shakes

We might just edge it though if we can lift our performace but a performance like the Welsh and good performace from the Slovaks could well see them thump us by 3 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

aidan24326 wrote:
    given

finnan dunne mcshane o'shea

mcgeady ireland carsley Kilbane

doyle duff

fcuk knows what stan will do though.
    I dont think even Stan could leave Hunt out.

I think Duff and Doyle will be a good forward partnership. I think Duffer is too restricted when he's stuck on the left; when he plays behind the front man he can go wherever he likes, so he sees more of the ball - and Doyle will always be up front, unlike Keane who goes wandering. (With everyone fit, I think it would be possible to come up with a formation that allows Doyle to play up front on his own, with both Keane and Duff behind him, a 4-3-2-1 formation - but thats for another day)

I hope the feck Given is fit. He'd be a massive loss.

I'd love Kilbane to be dropped, but its not goina happen.

There's no doubt that we should with our players ease past Slovakia 2-0 but with Staunton i'd probably punt for a draw.

Think you might be underestimating them a bit. Even with a full team (and a good manager) we would find the Slovaks tricky opposition. I saw highlights of the game when they trounced Wales in Cardiff and they looked pretty good going forward. But they're not spectacular at the back so alot will depend on the team selection, whether Staunton is brave enough to pick an attacking lineup and take them on.

I dont think even Stan could leave Hunt out.

Hunt did look good when he came on against Wales but is still very inexperienced at this level so it's not that straightforward.

That said, he could do no worse than some that are there at the moment and his pace on the wing could be just what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hunt's lack of experience normally would concern me, but he showed more heart and commitment over the 10 minutes he was on than many of the other more experienced players showed over the full 90. He provided a spark that we have lacked for quite some time, so I think he deserves a go on the left wing. He really couldn't do any worse than Kilbane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Serbian wrote:
    Hunt's lack of experience normally would concern me, but he showed more heart and commitment over the 10 minutes he was on than many of the other more experienced players showed over the full 90. He provided a spark that we have lacked for quite some time, so I think he deserves a go on the left wing. He really couldn't do any worse than Kilbane.

yeah there's nothing to lose by playing Hunt. Kilbane's better days are behind him i think, and he's prone to the same lack of concentration you might get off any inexperienced player judging by yesterdays performance. the only plus that he has over hunt is maybe more of an ability to head the ball... but that's only good if he can get into the box, which he was very slow to do at times on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Serbian wrote:

I'd agree with that. In the space of 10 minutes, Hunt got 3 Wales players booked simply by doing the old fashioned winger's job; run at them with the ball, and make them commit to the tackle When was the last time Duff got 3 opposition players booked for proper fouls? When was the last time Duff really put in a shift of running at the opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bateman wrote:
    I'd agree with that. In the space of 10 minutes, Hunt got 3 Wales players booked simply by doing the old fashioned winger's job; run at them with the ball, and make them commit to the tackle When was the last time Duff got 3 opposition players booked for proper fouls? When was the last time Duff really put in a shift of running at the opposition?

Yes. Why is that? Is it a loss of form?
    Is he simply not motivated playing for Ireland anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Prediction for Wednesday: Ireland 1 Slovakia 3

As regards the team selection it will be very ironic if Doyle starts on wednesday, after Staunton stating yesterday that he isn't match fit :rolleyes:

Knowing Stan, he might pull a mater-stroke and put Given up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Bateman wrote:

I'd like to see Hunt get a start but I don't think it's as clear cut a decision as everyone is making it out to be. Hunt came on for the last 10 minutes when the game was at its most stretched and made 3-4 excellent runs. Kilbane in the last 10 minutes also made 2 great breaks using the vintage 'Zinadine Kilbane' trick of kicking the ball a good 20 ft ahead of the defender and successfully chasing after it yet most people seem to think he is unfit and should be removed from the starting line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

..................Randolph.................

Finnan....Mcshane......Dunne......O'Shea

McGeady..Carsley...Kilbane........Duff

..............Keane...Doyle................

Is he (Duff) simply not motivated playing for Ireland anymore?

This could be said of a number of players, and not just for Ireland either. Look at England for example, when last did Gerrard turn in a perfrormance for England to match what he does for Liverpool? Or Rooney for that matter?

Duff hasn't had a really good game for Ireland since god knows when, his performance against Spain in 2002 being a distant memory now. Keane hasn't really done the business either, only seems to score against the weaker opposition. How many really crucial goals has he scored against decent opposition? Very few is the answer.

I think that some of the top premiership players are not so motivated to play international anymore. You only have to look at the way Giggs strolled around the pitch for wales yesterday, and how he's always 'injured' when there's some inconvenient friendly he doesn't want to play in (only 61 caps in 16 years) And he's certainly not alone.

Time to start building a team around young hungry players who actually really want it and are prepared to instill a bit of passion into the performances, something Irish teams were always famous for. We alll know Ireland aren't going to qualify but it would be nice to see them go down fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

tdv wrote:

Erm... what?

Keane's suspended, and i doubt that Given would be unfit in all fairness, this is what i'd go for

............Given...........
    Finnan...Mcshane......Dunne.......O'Shea
    Mcgeady......Carsley.......Ireland...........Hunt
    ...............Duff...............Doyle..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ireland reckons he's going to be fit.

Personally I wouldnt play McGeady in this game in the right side of midfield in a 4-4-2 formation. He's just too weak defensively and to date for Ireland has shown no sign of making up for it by being very good offensivly. But with the talent he has, he is a good man to have available to spring from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yep, I want McGeady and Hunt playing. The lack of width on Sat was chronic. How many times did Stephen Ireland and even Duff come inside and narrow the play?

Doyle and maybe someone big-ish like Lee (Is he even in the squad?) with him would be my favoured strike partnership. A big guy knocking it down for Doyle to chase onto.

And perhaps Mr Staunton would like to revert to playing Finnan and O'Shea in their proper positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Hunt looked lively when he caem on against San Marino, reminds me a bit of how Duff used to play when he was younger. I'd definitely start him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

wtf was that with Finann on the left and O'Shea on the right! Madness, play the players in their natural positions. ****ing nutter than Stan.

My lineup, although it won't happen in a million years...
    Given
    Finann Dunne McShane O'Shea
    Hunt Carsley Ireland Duff
           Stokes Doyle

I don't like seeing Duff upfront, he looks like he doesn't know what he is doing and he naturally drifts wide. Keep him on the wing and hope he crosses good balls in for Doyle. Keane isn't a CF and Doyle's ability in the air is far better.

Stokes alongside with Doyle. You have to have pace up front and Stokes has a bit in the tank, he could complement Doyle very well.

Predication, 2-1 Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

tdv wrote:

You wouldn't know you're from Bray at all;)

Seriously though, if this match goes according to plan and Stan finally picks and directs a decent team that we beat Slovakia, then our future matchs will look like this

Slovakia Vs. Ireland
    Czech Republic Vs. Ireland
    Ireland Vs. Germany
    Ireland Vs. Cyprus
    Wales Vs. Ireland

Its an obvious advantage that we've gotten the away match against Germany out of the way, and the Czechs really didn't look good against Germany yesterday with Koller having little or no affect on the game whatsoever. so from the following matchs my bets would be.

Slovakia Vs. Ireland Win
    Czech Republic Vs. Ireland Draw
    Ireland Vs. Germany Draw
    Ireland Vs. Cyprus Win
    Wales Vs. Ireland Win

Albeit its optimistic, if those matches go that way we should top the Czechs on the rankings, as they should lose at home to Germany, anyone agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are there still tickets available for the match?

Very few, there a probably a couple knocking around at the FAI HQ

OK, thanks for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well I agree that its optimisitc, very optimistic. Even depending on an away win against Wales might be a struggle. As for the others, some, but not all and we'll really have to hope that czech rep screw things up as bad as we have. I reckon we'll come 3rd behind Germany and Czech rep and Stan will be sacked after this euro campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is he simply not motivated playing for Ireland anymore?
    Go onto a Newcastle forum and their fans are wondering why he doesn't put performances like yesterdays in for Newcastle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

aidan24326 wrote:
    This could be said of a number of players, and not just for Ireland either. Look at England for example, when last did Gerrard turn in a perfrormance for England to match what he does for Liverpool? Or Rooney for that matter?

Duff hasn't had a really good game for Ireland since god knows when, his performance against Spain in 2002 being a distant memory now. Keane hasn't really done the business either, only seems to score against the weaker opposition. How many really crucial goals has he scored against decent opposition? Very few is the answer.

I think that some of the top premiership players are not so motivated to play international anymore. You only have to look at the way Giggs strolled around the pitch for wales yesterday, and how he's always 'injured' when there's some inconvenient friendly he doesn't want to play in (only 61 caps in 16 years) And he's certainly not alone.

Time to start building a team around young hungry players who actually really want it and are prepared to instill a bit of passion into the performances, something Irish teams were always famous for. We alll know Ireland aren't going to qualify but it would be nice to see them go down fighting.

I completely agree- especially about Keane. I guess with Ireland his place in the team is assured, unlike Tottenham. That probably is the problem with some other Irish players too. Regardless It really is a slight on the fans who travels far and wide in support of the team not to be putting a 100 per cent effort in when you are playing for your country. Just contrast there attitude with the Irish rugby players crying as the national anthem was sung in Croke Park a few weeks ago. Those guys played as if their lives depended on it.

If we finish third - being drawn as fourth seeds - it'll be a success, although a mixed one at that given the way we're playing at the moment...a progression through mediocre football....maybe we need to lower the expectations (not having heart and desire is inexcusable imo) which have resulted from three WC finals appearences and accept we're a very average team, perhaps there's too much pressure and expectation...we need to be battling underdogs again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Slovakia Vs. Ireland Win
    Czech Republic Vs. Ireland Draw
    Ireland Vs. Germany Draw
    Ireland Vs. Cyprus Win
    Wales Vs. Ireland Win

Albeit its optimistic, if those matches go that way we should top the Czechs on the rankings, as they should lose at home to Germany, anyone agree?

:confused:

Have you not watch any of our performances so far?

Of course i have, and i may be highly optimistic, but i do honestly think its possible

I think we've a better chance of beating Germany than we do Slovakia away, just because we play better against better teams, especially at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I hate to say it but I can really see Ireland crumbling in this next one. For all that Keane can't put the ball in the back of the net to save his life he is involved in a hell of a lot of general play and I think he will be missed badly.

If Given doesn't make it we could be in for a very rough night, 3/4 goal deficit definitely a possibility.

Stan/Delaney need to go soon....maybe if we keep writing it often enough it will happen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ok, if Ireland do manage to win this game on Wednesday, even by just the single goal, is everyone going to be still rallying for Stan's head and predicting a 4-0 defeat to the Slovakians away? If we play badly we will lose but If we get the win I hope some people remember that they were expecting a trashing by the Slovaks and that they don't come out with statements like "We played better that a ****e Slovak team" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

some people are a little too pessimistic.

it's not so long ago we we're holding our own against the likes of holland, portugal, france, spain etc..

granted, we were captained by the world class keane, but one man doesn't make a team and if those 10 players were good enough WITH roy keane on the pitch, what has changed since? 3 have gone, the majority (6) remain. :confused:

the majority of that side are - given, finnan, dunne, kilbane, duff, keane.

that's why we shouldn't settle for less.. expectation should be to challenge for 2nd spot. Germany are a poor side buzzing after a couple of successful world cup's. They run on pride and passion.

The czech's have never had 11 world class players, but they all gel well and are a real 'team'.

Ireland have the players, but they don't have the work rate or hunger - just like roy keane has pointed out.

At times on Saturday, we closed down well and defended high up the pitch and chased balls down.. but it wasn't consistent. We need the 'up and at them' mentality restored.

Hunt is the only player who has it. Dunne can do it when he feels like it, but is too lazy to attak the ball at times. Overall, we need more nastiness and venom in tackles.

If we're going to get yellow cards for stupid things like kicking the ball away or back-talk to the ref, why not keep the mouths shut and tackle from behind, flooring the opposition instead. That way, at least there's some benefit as the opposition might be mentally scarred.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think we will get at least a draw tomorrow. I cant see us losing the game no matter how bad we have been so far. The Slovaks are missing a couple of important players and the news from the Ireland camp is that Given and Ireland will both be ok to play.

The problem that we have is who is going to play up front. Doyle is supposedly not match fit and its unlikely that we will get a full game out of him. If we can keep it solid at the back then we have a real chance.

By the way I think that no matter what the outcome of this campaign that Stan should be let go.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Doyle is supposedly not match fit and its unlikely that we will get a full game out of him. If we can keep it solid at the back then we have a real chance.

This is Stan's *Match Fit* though isin't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Watched some of the Slovakia-Cyprus game - Slovakia are a very good team. They happered Wales 5-1 and Cyprus were fairly much put to the sword.

I don't fancy a win - I'll take a draw and be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

psi wrote:
    Watched some of the Slovakia-Cyprus game - Slovakia are a very good team. They happered Wales 5-1 and Cyprus were fairly much put to the sword.

I don't fancy a win - I'll take a draw and be happy.

a draw will knock us out and more than likely end staunton's reign even if he's not sacked until the end of the campaign.

if we can't beat them at home, we certainly won't beat them away. A win at croker and a draw in slovakia is the minimum requirements if we're to stand any chance of qualifying.

Slovakia certainly know how to score but I'd be suprised if any half decent solid team couldn't beat 10 man Cyprus who were missing their 2 best players. Slovakia are no great shakes, we have to beat them.

I see Slovakia at 3-1 on offer from paddypower and think it very generous. Ireland are simply awful, just terrible. If Slovakia can score 5 away to Wales they can do us. They beat Cyprus away where we got hammered. The only drawback is the suspension of three players...one is the captain, the others are forwards

they're without three of their most key goalscoring players and are a largely inexperienced team with most just having under or around 20 caps...doesn't count for much I supoose but they were thrashed by Germany and the Czechs...could be a case of another Czech-like inspired performance...or not

Thank God Given should be fit.

Gives us another bit of hope i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Given

Finnan  Dunne  McShane  Kilbane
                  Carsley
    McGeady                      Hunt
                   Duff
              Doyle Stokes

very attacking minded but thats what it'll take to beat the slovaks, KK in at left back coz we have no natural lb and he is a waste of space in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

Given

Finnan Dunne McShane

Carsley

McGeady Ireland Hunt

Duff
    Stokes

think i would prefer something like this. three at the back cause dont think there is room for oshea in there and no way should harte be there. maybe have kilbane in centre mid instead of ireland. cant see stan changin too much from the last game unfortunately. hunt should start and either stokes or long up front, maybe the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mickith wrote:
    Given

Finnan Dunne McShane

Carsley

McGeady Ireland Hunt

Duff
    Stokes

think i would prefer something like this. three at the back cause dont think there is room for oshea in there and no way should harte be there. maybe have kilbane in centre mid instead of ireland. cant see stan changin too much from the last game unfortunately. hunt should start and either stokes or long up front, maybe the two.

Wow, thats some optimism! Takin the field with only 10 men!

Think id bring harte or o shea into left back and start Doyle instead of Stokes, take him off when hes had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i think he prob meant to put stokes up front with Doyle.

jsut looking at that team tho. it seems Duff is carrying the whole teams attacking responsibility on his shoulders. i know McGeady and Hunt can run at defenders, but they;re only new. As is Ireland. and esepcially stokes.

Just heard the team being announced on Radio1.

No Hunt, Doyle up top by himself, McGeady starting.

I only caught the very end of the bulletin though, never heard the defence. Or the rest of the team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement