Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs. Slovakia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

No I disagree.

I can foresee a high scoring Ireland win.....with all the action to happen up the canal end! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i hope we win 2-1 with all the goals coming into the Hill end :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

According to today's Indo, he's after breaking his metatarsal for the third time in 18 months
    Yeah, he scored 2 against Wales and 2 against Cyprus so he'll be a big miss. They're also missing their captain who has scored 2 goals, one cracker against Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

redspider wrote:
    There's talk that the formation could be something like this:

Given
    Finnan -McShane - Dunne - O'Shea
    Carsley ---- Kilbane

S.Ireland
    McGeady
    Duff
    Doyle

So, 4-5-1 when the opposition have the ball and 4-3-3 when we have the ball. Chelsea 2006-like except with two 'holding midfielders' rather than one (Makelele).

I think given the fact that we dont have a 2nd recognised central stiker, its a reasonable formation. Hunt's ommission doesn't make any significant difference in my opinion and there is too much being made of that in some places. This line-up puts less defensive duties on McGeady and Duff, their weakest facets.

Redspider

If thats how it works out (if) then that look like a fomation designed not to loose rather then win. Much will be required of Ireland and the wingers otherwise Doyle will have a very frustrating evening.

Mike.

We'll win. Plenty of value in the bookies odds. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Whats with the bizarre Finnan and O'Shea experiment?

eirebhoy wrote:
    We'll win. Plenty of value in the bookies odds. :)

Hmmm, I wonder why the bookies are still in business ;)

cson wrote:
    Whats with the bizarre Finnan and O'Shea experiment?
    I think the general consensus is that they both played on opposite sides to mark their club teammates. It worked from a defensive point of view.
    cson wrote:
    Hmmm, I wonder why the bookies are still in business ;)
    Well gambling is all about finding the value after all. :) If I thought Ireland had less than a 50% chance of winning I wouldn't back them at evens obviously. I feel they've a better chance of winning than not winning so evens is a great price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think the general consensus is that they both played on opposite sides to mark their club teammates. It worked from a defensive point of view.

That explains it, I couldn't figure it out at all, back to hope he reverses them tonight.

Ireland win 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

eirebhoy wrote:

Was not the same tactic employed against San Marino?

I'm going for a draw or, being optimistic, a narrow 2-1 for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think ireland will win 2-1 but again play rubbish,slovakia are missing 2 of there best player so thats a bonus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im off to the game now, get a few pints in before going to Croker :D

Quietly optimistic about about chances tonight. Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

anyone know how much the tickets are?

was offered two for 140 there.

eirebhoy wrote:

I understand that was the case, but as far as I know they are playing the same positions tonight. The logic of that is somewhat lost on me, I mean O'Shea and Finnan don't have any slovak teammates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

1-0 win for Ireland. Come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

ntlbell wrote:
    anyone know how much the tickets are?

was offered two for 140 there.

they're 70 each for the stands and 50 for the terraces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats not the case, they are 70 each for the Hogan stand [think its the Hogan, the one on the left if you were standing with your back to Hill 16], but 50 quid for everywhere else afaik.

€50 all round the stadium except lower Hogan and Cusack which costs €70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A lot of optimistic fans here! Slovakia are nothing special but will be significantly better than Wales and I think we'll struggle to beat them. If they score where are we going to get 2 goals from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

aidan24326 wrote:
    A lot of optimistic fans here! Slovakia are nothing special but will be significantly better than Wales and I think we'll struggle to beat them. If they score where are we going to get 2 goals from?

I've covered this already on the previous page. Kilbane and Carsley will get 2 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Czechs 1 up at half time against Cyprus. Looks a big ask now for the Cypriots to do us a favour and get something out of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    €50 all round the stadium except lower Hogan and Cusack which costs €70.
    Lower Cusack is €50, I'm holding one right now.

Bought in Merrion Square this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pighead wrote:
    Czechs 1 up at half time against Cyprus. Looks a big ask now for the Cypriots to do us a favour and get something out of the game.

Realistically Cyprus were never going to get a result away to the Czechs. They're decent enough on their own patch but not up to much away from home. Expect the Czechs to get 1 or 2 more before it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I don't fancy Ireland to win this one. The Slovaks will be a tough side even without their most in-form striker and captain.

I see Ireland going out with all guns blazing and scoring in the first half, then the usual - losing possession and concentration in 2nd half and probably conceding.

Predict a draw, although I have thrown a tenner on Half-Time/Full-Time to be Ireland/Slovakia @ 46/1

jAH

aidan24326 wrote:
    In fairness, we were never going to destroy Wales. The better the opposition, the better we are.
    seansouth wrote:
    Lower Cusack is €50, I'm holding one right now.

Bought in Merrion Square this morning.
    I don't know how you managed that. If I could have got it for 50 I would have but I was only able to bet upper Hogan/Cusack or the Canal for 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pre-match buildup is the usual entertaining fare. Stan on now. He just hasn't a breeze! :rolleyes: Kick-off delayed to 7:45 due to traffic problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Game has been delayed due to traffic.

Thank god for RTE.ie, Phil and Regi...... I can watch the game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

psi wrote:
    Game has been delayed due to traffic.

Thank god for RTE.ie, Phil and Regi...... I can watch the game :)
    Oh the misappropriation of bandwidth, watching it on the big screens are ya :)

SWeeeeeeeeet !!! Go on Doyle

Whee Ireland 1 up, g'wan Doyle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ruu, which stream are you using ?

What time did it start at (after the lateness, I mean)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

And they are getting a bit to much time on the ball arent they ;/ if this keeps up we wont keep our lead long

SofaKing wrote:
    Ruu, which stream are you using ?

I was using TVAnts (was under a channel Super/ESPN), can't get it working now though, blegh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thanks.

Found it and its working smoothly :)

...and its half time :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

i probably don't have fast enough broadband, it's stuttering for me, right now just got a picture of a couple getting married and it's stuck there.

Anyway so far so good scorewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ireland seems to have given up playing football again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bizmark wrote:
    Ireland seems to have given up playing football again

Who cares just bloody win.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

long should of wrapped it up.

Alan Quinn wtf?

Long and Hunt link up very well.

I'm not very happy yet though, we have a long sordid history of conceding late goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

About time McGreedy was taken off.

Again I say - Alan Quinn wtf?

Thank God for Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Squeaky Bum Time

Do you think the Irish players know that the best way to eat down the clock is to keep possession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good win overall a strong perfomance even with their 5 up front really didnt trouble the back line.

kdjac

Job well done, huge win. We are right in it.

If only I listened to myself earlier and put on a few bob. :)
    Ruu wrote:
    1-0 win for Ireland. Come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*w00t*

Go team Ireland.

I take it the performance was above last Saturdays?

Congrats to the Irish team!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

Stan has been forgiven by all on radio 1, it's almost as if the trashing from Cyprus never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

A good match if I do say so, especially compared to last weekends match against Wales... man was that boring. My attitude of the Irish soccer team has changed a good bit, Staunton looks Mourinho like with the Long black coat and man was he under some pressure. I think the Croke Park affect was obvious, 76,000 people in the finest stadia in Ireland there was a real atmosphere there.

I opposed it being opened but at the end of the day we are all Irish and why should the ROI team have to have played a game like this evening in say maybe Cardiff? I still have my reservations etc. but sports competing is a bit ludacris whatever sport a person plays it is all good with the health benefits etc.

Sorry for the bit of joyous rant but I think Ireland were good and Staunton, Croke Park and the Irish fans did us proud as a sporting nation of heroes.

Advertisement