Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grants For Post Grads

• 25-03-2007 3:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what the situation is for applying for grants to do a post grad.

I want to do one part time in Trinity.

I'm a home owner living on my own in full time employment if any of that is relevant.

Were is first place I should be looking?

Comments

Are you thinking more IRCSET, IRCHSS, Science Foundation Ireland or maintenance grants?

If it's a part-time course, unfortunately the maintenance grants only cover full-time courses at the moment. But there is tax relief on part-time fees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Myth wrote:
    Are you thinking more IRCSET, IRCHSS, Science Foundation Ireland or maintenance grants?

If it's a part-time course, unfortunately the maintenance grants only cover full-time courses at the moment. But there is tax relief on part-time fees.

I'm wondering about fee.

The fees are about €8k and I have about €5k (which is the first year fees) and I was wondering do you get anything towards that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Myth wrote:

But there is tax relief on part-time fees.

Just reading this page.

How does it work? It says that the maximum fee is €5k do I get the standard rate of tax back i.e 20% of €5k? If that was correct financially it would be a no brainer for me to do it.

Does this apply to the second year as well?

Personally, I'm not too sure. Haven't gone through it myself. Best bet would be to ring up to find out, I'd say.

Best of luck with it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

kearnsr wrote:
    Just reading this page.

How does it work? It says that the maximum fee is €5k do I get the standard rate of tax back i.e 20% of €5k? If that was correct financially it would be a no brainer for me to do it.

Does this apply to the second year as well?

That's correct, you get 20% back on what ever the course costs.

If your employer is paying some of it you get 20% on the balance.

€5k per year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Very few scholarships towards taught masters. If you are doing a research masters/PhD in Trinity then it is best to register full-time in order to avail of scholarships (there isn't a huge cost difference in TCD, and then you can apply for an Ussher scholarship).

If you register part-time and aren't working then you would be able to claim unemployment benefit if you have paid enough PRSI stamps and say you are looking for work (depending on your own set of morals etc).

The only Masters scholarships I can think of that might be useful (and not sure if they are applicable) are: O'Reilly scholarships, North-South scholarships (info on the outside of the graduate studies office).

Haven't most of the application deadlines in TCD already passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

if you are in the higher tax bracket do you get more than 20% back on the course fees?

edit: oops read the rest of the link and saw it is 20% back regardless.

You only get the 20% back on the first €5k though, correct?

Advertisement