Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Novice - Questions

Options
  • 25-03-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all,

I'm about to start converting a small back yard garden and my idea is too lay some patio bricks in a circular pattern (roadstone castlestone circle), and some gravel and plant beds.

I've been reading up and getting as much advice as I can. I understand that around 3 inches of hardcore is needed. As far as I'm aware this is basically gravel and dust. I'm wondering can I purchase this in, let's say Homebase, or somewhere else?

Also, I'm worried about the edging for the patio itself, should I be using Bricks Standing on End, Bender Board, Treated Wood, or something else.

If anyone has experience laying these roadstone circles or anything similar, I'd really appreciate their input.

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

CarrickD wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm about to start converting a small back yard garden and my idea is too lay some patio bricks in a circular pattern (roadstone castlestone circle), and some gravel and plant beds.

I've been reading up and getting as much advice as I can. I understand that around 3 inches of hardcore is needed. As far as I'm aware this is basically gravel and dust. I'm wondering can I purchase this in, let's say Homebase, or somewhere else?

Also, I'm worried about the edging for the patio itself, should I be using Bricks Standing on End, Bender Board, Treated Wood, or something else.

If anyone has experience laying these roadstone circles or anything similar, I'd really appreciate their input.

Thanks, in advance.

Its a little unclear, do you intend to (a) lay a circle of bricks, which will form a perimeter around open gravel area containg plants? if so you need to prepare the area, remove all waste/weed and dig to approx 6". Position and peg Horticulture liner, essential weed barrier. Next dig a small trench 6" deep and 4" wide, backfill with approx 3" of hardcore, which you should compact with foot or tamping with lump hammer. Best lay bricks in prepared mortar on edge. To ensure true symmetry, place a pin or pole in centre and use builders line to ensure that each brick is laid true to centre etc. Tamp bricks gently in position, ensure levels are correct. When all bricks are in position you can complete pointing.

If on the otherhand you plan to lay a circle, you need to prepare ground as above except you need to line area with 3-4" of compacted hardcore. Start with second ring as you will need central pin and line to lay each slab. Pin is removed and central slab is put in position when all other segments have been laid including if applicable an outer line of bricks. With circle you need to decide which direction is fall (to allow rain run off). Usually, fall is away from house. Iamgine a compass and fall follows north direction, well fall si calcualted at 1 in 100, ie 1 cm per 100cm, or a rough equivalent is 1" in
    every 36". So if fal is along north-south lines all slabs on east-west must be horizontal.

Tip- before you start laying individual slabs on wet cement, lay circle on ground and familaiarise youself with best positions for individual pieces etc.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrickD

Thanks for your detailed reply Sonnemblumen. I'm hoping to lay a circle of brick surounded by a gravel area containing some plants and stuff.

When you say "Next dig a small trench 6" deep and 4" wide, backfill with approx 3" of hardcore, which you should compact with foot or tamping with lump hammer." Is this a perimeter trence a further 6" down that will contain an outer edging of bricks? If so I guess I'll have to keep things very arcurate as I will be laying the edges first and then laying the bricks from out to in?

When laying the gravel beds should I just remove all waste material, lay some weed barrier fabric and then fill with the gravel itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

CarrickD wrote:
    Thanks for your detailed reply Sonnemblumen. I'm hoping to lay a circle of brick surounded by a gravel area containing some plants and stuff.

OK just bear in mind, bricks which do not have a taper cut will not mitre well, in otherwords expect to have varying arcs in joints as the rings build up. Ideally bricks should be laid on edge.

[/QUOTE] When you say "Next dig a small trench 6" deep and 4" wide, backfill with approx 3" of hardcore, which you should compact with foot or tamping with lump hammer." Is this a perimeter trence a further 6" down that will contain an outer edging of bricks? If so I guess I'll have to keep things very arcurate as I will be laying the edges first and then laying the bricks from out to in? [/QUOTE]

No start from inside and work outwards and be sure to use the string to get gfood radiating lines and consistent rings. As you plan to build a brick ring , you should compact/consolidate the 3" hardcore base ie full area with a plate compactor, otherwise the bricks might rise or subside.

[/QUOTE] When laying the gravel beds should I just remove all waste material, lay some weed barrier fabric and then fill with the gravel itself? [/QUOTE]

That should be fine, but again a more thorough finish would be to use the plastic pegs to pin and secure the weedbarrier membrane in situ. It is a pity to have finish spoiled by unsightly edges of weed membrane. If you have no pegs, you can improvise by bending 9" pieces of wire clothes hangers and bending to form a large U nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrickD

Thanks again for the information, this is giving more confidence to get started.

Also I'm going use the pegs, as you say, no point in cutting corners and ruining the finish.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement