Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom POP3 suddenly stopped working

Options
  • 25-03-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Last night my Eircom.net email pop3 email address stopped receiving on both outlook and outlook express. The webmail logon is working but both sending and receiving on outlook are causing me trouble. I haven't changed any settings recently or done anything to effect the running of it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Check your anti-virus settings, some apps block ports to prevent your machine being used a relay. Check for ports 25 & 110.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I have AVG and all seems to be fine with that. Plus it's been working for the last 6 months perfectly.....

Check your anti-virus settings, some apps block ports to prevent your machine being used a relay. Check for ports 25 & 110.

You were right about the ports. Fixed it up in my modem settings to allow ports 25 and 110 and everything worked again perfectly until 10minutes ago. Any ideas on what to do? Ring BT and ask for a new router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I too am getting intermittent error messages on Outlook Express, it played up last week, been fine all weekend and now won't connect again - the message I get when I click the envelope mention port 25 & 110.

How do I check my antivirus settings & ports, I have Norton Antivirus and my broadband connection is through BT although I still have eircom email addresss ?

Do a full modem reset (remember to keep all ur passwords for the login and that) by holding down the pinhole button at the back of the modem for about 30seconds... When that's done change the outgoing mail server to mail.iol.ie.. worked for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

I dont mean to be too obvious but if your using outlook and outlook express and webmail to pick up your mail.....you musthave set it to leave a copy of the message on the server? Eircom mail fills up pretty quick...check how many days it remains etc etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Thanks for the advice. I don't use webmail, just outlook express, I run a business from home so I use the folders on there, I know I can use webmail if I'm desperate but I prefer to keep it all in one place.

Anyway I went on the Norton Security website and there was a help topic to click on for Outlook Express problems & as long as you have a current subscription that you are using on Windows XP you can download Windows Vista upgrades which will solve the problem.

I did this last night and it seems to have worked. Yesterday morning I was getting port 110 error messages and after the download I was fine. So fingers crossed :) They have a live help section too so I could have gone down that route and "spoken" with someone if I hadn't found the upgrade information.

Advertisement