Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing error 1606

• 25-03-2007 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm trying to install to programmes, nero(still) and Adobe reader. On both I am getting a message saying, Error 1606: Unable to access network G:\photo.
    G:photo is a folder on my second hard drive and I can access everything on it.. Any ideas??

Win Vista home 32bit.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well Error 1606 is a network error when the location is not available.

A little Google searching shows the error is not new (affected 2K/XP) and is related to failed installs (whereby part of the program does install but does not complete).

Microsoft have a remedy on their site but it was clearly made for XP in mind not Vista.

Unless someone knows off hand what the fix is I don't know but these are what I would try;
    Disable UAC
    Check the event log for more info if lists the failed install.
    Check to make sure their are no entries in the installed programs for these items already.
    For Adobe Reader 8 & Nero select XP SP2 compatibility mode for the installer .exe
    Try running the installer as administrator

Try installing something else like Foxit Reader for PDF files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have you tried installing by elevating yourself to admin? Right click on 'setup.exe' and choose to run as administrator.

Are you trying to install to your G:\ drive or only pointing to photos stored there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

I tried most of the stuff you have said 8T8, exept turning of UAC and I saw the stuff on on the MS site regarding 1606 but like you say it's for xp.. I''ve also ran as admin etc..... I'm not trying to put anything on the G drive at all... nor is it a network location...
    How do I 'Check to make sure their are no entries in the installed programs for these items already' and if there is stuff there do I simply delete them?? I've used registry cleaners etc to try and get rid of anything to do with them.

Thanks for the replies

Well if there was an entry simply to uninstall the program that what I was referring to but clearly there isn't.

If you have not tried it disable UAC and see if anything changes, you can turn it off in the users control panel. That seems to be the solution on further Google searches for this kind of problem.

Past that I'm not sure what else can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Trust me, disable UAC and see if that works. I was having problems installing a program and UAC was the cause.

• Advertisement

Diabled UAC, restarted, ran cleaners.......... still same error message:-(
    Guess I'm stuck for a while til Vista get their fingers out.

Thanks lads

Can you install Foxit reader at least that will read PDF files so you can do without Adobe's reader.

Is it only these applications or are any other software programs affected ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8T8 wrote:
    Can you install Foxit reader at least that will read PDF files so you can do without Adobe's reader.

Install foxit ?
    it's just a single file
    right click the pdf and choose open with and browse to the foxit file

do you have a vista compatible version of Nero , as older ones aren't - check their website.

Ok, installed foxit and it looks pretty cool so I'm happy with that and thank you. Nero I have a oem version 7 disk but I've also downloaded a few things from there site... nothing instals..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8T8 wrote:

Install foxit ?
    it's just a single file
    right click the pdf and choose open with and browse to the foxit file

do you have a vista compatible version of Nero , as older ones aren't - check their website.

• Advertisement

dwaned wrote:
    Ok, installed foxit and it looks pretty cool so I'm happy with that and thank you. Nero I have a oem version 7 disk but I've also downloaded a few things from there site... nothing instals..

Well that's something at least.

Not sure what the deal with Nero is you could try the Nero 7 clean tool which will remove any bit's of Nero still around then try installing the latest version from Nero's site.

If Nero still fails to co-operate as an alternative I would highly recommend VSO Software's products CopyToDVD & ConvertXToDVD do most of what Nero does without the bloat & bugs.

Tried the nero clean tool but still no luck... I need to find a more definate solution as I just tried to instal bluetooth software and gues what..... I'm getting error 1606!!! Must be a fault in the registry somwhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

this might help
    http://www.mindsystems.com.au/knowledgebase/questions/30/Error-1606-Could-not-access-network-location
    may want to back up your registry before you get started though.

Also if this of of any help in the MS KB document to fix the 1606 error it tells you to compare against the XP keys listed so here are the same keys from my Vista install.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

In part 1 the user\user is the name of the account e.g user\dave or whatever else is what it would be and the location to check is at the bottom of each screen capture.

Fixed it!!!
    But I must be blind....When I compared your registry 8T8, I saw for my pictues the data was set at G:Photo's!!! Changed it to the %USERPROFILE%Pictures and everything is installing. :-)
    Thank you all, much appreciated

Woot :D

Glad to hear it's fixed I'll leave the pictures up on my web space as Google should work it's mojo and anyone else who finds the problem knows the fix.

Advertisement