Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit & Run On Leeson St Last Night Circa 4am

Options
  • 25-03-2007 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Did anyone witness this last night? There was a lot of drunk people around, of which I was one. You may not have noticed it even if you were there. One of the Horse and Cart drivers intentionally drove through a small crowd of people. He hit probably three or four of them. One girl seemed injured and I was surprised that those with her did not call the Gardai.

I looked up to see if I could get the reg number off the horse and cart, but then realised that they don't have any. The crowd of people were standing in the middle of the road causing a nuisance. Doesn't excuse what the guy did though. You should have seen the look on his face as he told the horse to drive on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well if they were in the middle of the road being a nuisance, good on him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If he was driving a car would you say the same thing though?

Two wrongs don't make a right. There were no Gardai to be seen last night.

The ambulance service was around dealing with the usual louts.

<dons his nag hat>

There is a Dublin section, yknow?

</nag hat>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Tbh he and other drivers probably have to deal with that every Thursday, Friday & Saturday night. I don't care how drunk people are they shouldn't be playing on the road. And yes, I'd say the same thing if it was a car. I feel sorry for the poor horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ballooba wrote:
    Horse and cart, Did anyone witness this last night?
    nay

• Advertisement

daiixi wrote:
    I feel sorry for the poor horse.
    Well, that crossed my mind too. A horse wouldn't normally do something like that. Terrible to force him to do it.

ballooba wrote:
    Well, that crossed my mind too. A horse wouldn't normally do something like that. Terrible to force him to do it.
    It could have stopped or swerved if it wanted to. Horses do have minds of their own you know.

daiixi wrote:
    It could have stopped or swerved if it wanted to. Horses do have minds of their own you know.
    Do you have much experience with horses? I do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

daiixi wrote:
    lol, I can see the court case now;
    "well your honour my horse is at fault here, he was the one that ran them over. He made up his own mind to keep going forward, after I whipped him a few times and his years of training kicked in

ballooba wrote:
    Do you have much experience with horses? I do. ;)
    Yes I grew up with horses and have ridden all my life. So :p

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    If he was driving a car would you say the same thing though?

Depends on what speed he would have been going. If I were in mine and a crowd of pissed people were on the road in my way and not moving, then I would feel inclined to give them a little 'bump' :)

daiixi wrote:
    Yes I grew up with horses and have ridden all my life. So :p
    Well, I don't know what kind of horses you keep or how you treat them.

None of ours would dream of doing something like that unless they were very scared or trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think if you drive a vehicle, particularly a horse and cart(with hooves and stuff), wilfully into a group of people, regardless of whether they should be on the road or not, you should be charged with assault.

boreds wrote:
    Depends on what speed he would have been going. If I were in mine and a crowd of pissed people were on the road in my way and not moving, then I would feel inclined to give them a little 'bump' :)
    Yes, but he actually knocked them on the ground and drove over them.

I have seen people do what you mention. I wouldn't do it myself. Often it ends up with the crowd turning on the driver. I've seen guys lose wing mirrors and get their cars kicked in for that. They give a nudge but don't have the balls to follow through when the pedestrians fight back. Using your vehicle as a weapon is pretty low in my opinion.
    humbert wrote:
    I think if you drive a vehicle, particularly a horse and cart(with hooves and stuff), wilfully into a group of people, regardless of whether they should be on the road or not, you should be charged with assault.
    Thank god one person agrees. I thought the world was gone mad there for a while. :)

ballooba wrote:
    Well, I don't know what kind of horses you keep or how you treat them.

None of ours would dream of doing something like that unless they were very scared or trapped.
    As I said, I grew up around horses. Not droids. I don't know how you treated your horses so that they were so afraid that they would absolutely do things they didn't want to do.

As for whether the driver could/should be charged with assault, I'm not discussing the legality of it. I'm just saying that the dickheads on the road got what they deserved. My opinion and I'm proud of it.

./edit actually as the witness of a hit and run accident why didn't you call the gardai yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

daiixi wrote:
    As for whether the driver could/should be charged with assault, I'm not discussing the legality of it. I'm just saying that the dickheads on the road got what they deserved. My opinion and I'm proud of it.

Well I'll feel a lot better when I attack the next person that starts screeming down the mobile phone on the bus then :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I hope the cart driver dies

humbert wrote:
    Well I'll feel a lot better when I attack the next person that starts screeming down the mobile phone on the bus then :eek:
    Yes because drunk people blocking a road is the same thing as someone using a mobile on a bus. Have fun with that.

daiixi wrote:
    I don't know how you treated your horses so that they were so afraid that they would absolutely do things they didn't want to do.
    They wouldn't.
    daiixi wrote:
    ./edit actually as the witness of a hit and run accident why didn't you call the gardai yourself?
    There was enough people involved at the scene. They didn't ask to involve the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Did the horse appear drunk at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I think those horses have blinkers on so not sure if they can even see what they are going towards?

daiixi wrote:
    Yes because drunk people blocking a road is the same thing as someone using a mobile on a bus. Have fun with that.
    What about the people around Landsdowne Road / Croke Park?

Do you think they should be assaulted with vehicles too?
    Pigman II wrote:
    He looked like he may have had a few too many apples alright.

ballooba wrote:
    What about the people around Landsdowne Road / Croke Park?

Do you think they should be assaulted with vehicles too?
    I believe I already answered that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I hear horses have a weakness for grass. Was probably hopped up on it!

Did you choose after hours because you couldn't decide between animals / pet issues, the location specific Dublin city board, the motors section / or was it just because it was late at night? (after hours isn't meant to be taken literally!)

daiixi wrote:
    I believe I already answered that.
    At least we know where we stand then.

ballooba wrote:
    I have seen people do what you mention. I wouldn't do it myself. Often it ends up with the crowd turning on the driver. I've seen guys lose wing mirrors and get their cars kicked in for that. They give a nudge but don't have the balls to follow through when the pedestrians fight back. Using your vehicle as a weapon is pretty low in my opinion.

I'm not talking about using my car as a weapon, I don't want to hurt people, just move off the feckin road and onto the footpath.
    Same if I were on the path as a pedestrian, If people were in my way and not moving after I kindly requested 'excuse me', I wouldn't punch them in the face, I'd nudge passed them.

Croke park etc is different, there is a huge volume of people entering/exiting at the same time and the have no choice but to be on the road, so I'd expect it.

boreds wrote:
    Croke park etc is different, there is a huge volume of people entering/exiting at the same time and the have no choice but to be on the road, so I'd expect it.
    That's an interesting point. All these people were congregated on the road after coming out of a wine bar. I was standing in the bus lane. There were cars parked either side of me so I was not actually in a traffic lane.

In Chicago if we congregated outside a nightclub the cops would come and ask us to disperse or arrest us. In Dublin and other towns around the country it the norm to hang around outside venues with a view to a 'last minute goal'. I myself scored one last night. ;)

If the Gardai and venue owners forced people to disperse after closing like they do in Chicago then there would not be half the trouble we have here. The same goes for chippers. There is a much trouble at them as there is outside pubs.

ballooba wrote:
    At least we know where we stand then.
    Hopefully it's now off the road and to the side of the footpath so you don't obstruct people walking along it.

daiixi wrote:
    Hopefully it's now off the road and to the side of the footpath so you don't obstruct people walking along it.
    Potentially for you it's in the dock with a sheepish look on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Pigman II wrote:
    And did Gardai interview said horse?

Advertisement