Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candidates in the Jacks

Options
  • 25-03-2007 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Lucinda Creighton has been heavily criticised in the media for the attached poster. She was accused of cheapening herself.

The ads appear in Ladies and Gents toilets around Dublin. The picture was taken on Paddy's Day in the Gents in Kehoe's on South Anne St.

I think it's a clever idea to play on the Diageo Ads and a good campaign for a young politician. I don't think the media would have any problems if it were a male candidate.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It's a good idea, simple and catchy.

However, it reminds me that you are more likely to get elected in Ireland if you have a witty add than if you actually know anything about government. It reminds me of the adds used by prospective entertainments officers in the student unions elections (UCD).

I haven't heard the criticisms, but if it has been criticised (and I'm sure it has) it also reminds me of the shallowness of the media in Ireland, who seem to pick up on little insignificant things and largely ignore things that are really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Posters are a great way for candidates to boost their profile though. Doing something clever with the poster shows creativity. Personally I would value creativity. I have seen poster in bathrooms for SU elections. They were in poor taste though and were remeoved. Went along the lines "Phelan in the jacks".

A candidate is not going to get elected purely on the basis of posters though. They have to build a high profile in the constituency and go out and knock on doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's a pretty lame joke, and its not very witty, and I suppose it could be accused of making light of a serious national issue, but I don't think its in any way making her cheaper.

EDIT: On a second look, she does look a little glassed. Like a picture that they would use for a "don't end up like this" message.

It's a pretty lame joke, and its not very witty, and I suppose it could be accused of making light of a serious national issue, but I don't think its in any way making her cheaper.
    Your a PD though. You're supposed to say that. :D

I don't think she's making light of the problem. Her ad is just as serious as the Diageo one. For some people anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Clever Idea it could be worse, it could have been Bertie or Herr Flick lying to us more about how great they have made our lives. The Minister you're a PD supporter aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Don't see a problem with it, boosting her profile in the media, whether they give out about it or not the end result is the same. If she had cheapened herself then its her call, not the media. Who was saying this btw, what papers/reporters?

Who was saying this btw, what papers/reporters?
    It was in the Evening Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ballooba wrote:

The bastion of good taste and journalism that it is. I wouldn't even wipe my rear end with it. PD's throwing their oar in with the Evening Herald who would have thought it, then again alot of their policies read like the headlines in the Herald.

ballooba wrote:

In that case it means very little and I doubt it will impact on her running in the elections, unless other papers pick up on it. Seems like a filler piece more than anything.

The only issue really highlighted here is how early electioneering has started this year. We all know that there is an election coming, but it hasn't even been called yet, is anyone not worried that people will just get desensitised/p!ssed off with all these posters and vans and radio ads and whatnot and just stop listening or not vote??

The only issue really highlighted here is how early electioneering has started this year. We all know that there is an election coming, but it hasn't even been called yet, is anyone not worried that people will just get desensitised/p!ssed off with all these posters and vans and radio ads and whatnot and just stop listening or not vote??
    Bertie said today that the election would be within two months. Also, the election is barely on your average punters radar at the moment. It's slowly building momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I quite like it! Much better than Charlie O Connor's posters around Tallaght.....
    [u]YES[/u]

Charlie

Is the [B]1[/B]

What the f*ck does that even mean? lol. Another is, "O Connor and Tallaght go together"

Charlie O'Connor was being cheeky. He couldnt put Vote No.1 because then they would be election posters. I think that's why he got the slap on the wrist. He wasn't the only one putting posters on lampposts, which was the main issue. Lucinda has done it recently with ads for a public meeting.

You will notice that none of the current posters really make any reference to an election. That's because ther hasn't been one called yet.

The picture you posted mentions an election, although it stops short of asking for a vote its fairly clear what the message is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

gandalf wrote:
    The Minister you're a PD supporter aren't you?
    In fairness I don't think anyone should be forced to declare their allegiances like that; secret ballot and all that.

That, or we should have a "Vested Interests Here" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Classy ;)

Smacks of desperation.

The picture you posted mentions an election, although it stops short of asking for a vote its fairly clear what the message is.
    They all mention an election. Charlie O'Connor was sailing a bit too close to the wind though. That would get the councils back up.

The main issue however was that the posters were tied to lampposts with cable ties. This is banned for a very good reason until a particular length of time before the election. They also have to be taken down within a certain period. Lucinda's campaign is in paid advertising space, as are the usual Fianna Fail billboards.

Lucinda did get in trouble recently for sticking up notices about a public meeting. Charlie is making out he is being victimised however.
    Ibid wrote:
    That, or we should have a "Vested Interests Here" thread?
    The dogs on the street know that The_Minister is one of McDowell's footsoldiers. Also, that InFront and I are card carrying Blueshirts. I'm fairly sure Conor74 is an Irregular (FF). :D
    Sizzler wrote:
    Smacks of desperation.
    That's an opinion, but I'd like to know why you think it smacks of desperation.

It's not like using that medium is cheating or there is any particular illicit gain to be had. It just suited the campaign in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

ballooba wrote:
    <personal information about others>
    Well done in completely ignoring my point about privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It's a very clever poster, takes a nice slant on a well oiled catchphrase, makes her seem like one of the people; serious, but knows how to make a joke. It suits a young, energetic politician looking for the young vote - that's what she is, and she knows how to advertise

Ibid wrote:
    Well I'd tend to agree with you.

Balooba,this is a small enough place,theres no need to point out what other posters have already pointed out about them selves.
    Stick to the contents of their posts.

Ibid wrote:
    It's public domain knowledge. Point taken though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Back on topic, FINALLY some originality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yeah, it's catchy, somewhat original, and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Great move. The fact it's even getting debated here proves it has had an impact. All posters can do is generate some degree of heightened profile and this effort by Lucinda Creighton semms to be doing that! Clever IMO.

So is it too early to be asking for the no.1 vote yes? cause Brady in North kildare has two big six foot billboard things on trailers in Maynooth and possibly elsewhere. Is it too early to be doing that? If so can I report her and to who?

So is it too early to be asking for the no.1 vote yes? cause Brady in North kildare has two big six foot billboard things on trailers in Maynooth and possibly elsewhere. Is it too early to be doing that? If so can I report her and to who?

Most candidates have billboards at the moment. As far as I know they aren't allowed say Vote No. 1 etc.

Brady's billboards are probably illegal because they would require planning permission. Designated billboard sites already have these. There are loopholes such as "Temporary sign". Nice to see those aspiring to public office flouting these though.

Apparently she has one at tesco and one in a carpark for a private residence area, which I saw. I suppose its a temporary sign, but if you aren't allowed to say Vote no.1 on it (which it says in big fcuk off letters) then I would like to complain and take her down a peg tbh, for all the good it'll do.

If you really feel that strongly about it you can ask your local authority.

According to the following page it comes down to whether there are local bye-laws.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/national-elections/the_general_election

Its not my local authority, I just go to college in Maynooth. It just annoys me when people flaunt the rules like that to give themselves an advantage. She should have to wait like everyone else (so far at least)

Original Thinking. Irish Politics. KILL IT!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fair play to Creighton tbh. Her posters so far have been good. I particularly like the "don't complain about the government: change it" one...

Advertisement