Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service Interval for Octavia 1.9TDI?

Options
  • 25-03-2007 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought this car new early last year and I'm very happy with it. Its economical and nice to drive. I do a lot of driving on a long commute and was happy that the first service wasn't til 30,000km. I was expecting the next service to be similarly spaced, but the in-car computer is telling me that its due now at 45k km. Is this right, or me being cynical, is it a garage creating work for itself? :) I reckon myself all that'll be needed is an oil change which you get a message for when thats required in any event.

Thanks and regards,

SJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Hi,

Bought this car new early last year and I'm very happy with it. Its economical and nice to drive. I do a lot of driving on a long commute and was happy that the first service wasn't til 30,000km. I was expecting the next service to be similarly spaced, but the in-car computer is telling me that its due now at 45k km. Is this right, or me being cynical, is it a garage creating work for itself? :) I reckon myself all that'll be needed is an oil change which you get a message for when thats required in any event.

Thanks and regards,

SJ

Its should be serviced every 10'000 miles or 12months whichever comes first.(according to AUTODATA)
    also at 40'000miles it needs a new pollon filter(if fitted) & Diesel primary fuel filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Suggest either a chat with your Skoda dealer or visit to http://www.briskoda.net/forums - I've seen some discussion there on variable service intervals, someone will be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What year is the Skoda? Earlier Skodas are every 15,000kms or 1 year. More recent ones are long life intervals. Consult the manual - it will explain to you how to check the PR (options) codes that are on the inside cover of the service schedule. If you are in any doubt then go with the 15,000km intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mate of mine has a 1.9TDi A4 and his computer tells him its the 30,000km interval because his engine uses the long life oil.

Check your manual, some of the 1.9TDi engines afaik use long life and others, half that

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Hi,

Thanks and regards,

SJ
    If its a MK2 Octavia they come with long life oil and for the first service the indicator usually come's on around the 30k mark or after 1 year, whichever comes first. If the garage that serviced it used long life oil then the 2nd service interval would be 60k approx. If they didn't use the long life oil then the next service interval would be 45k and they will have reset the onboard computer to go from variable service intervals to fixed service intervals.
    From my experience you need to tell the garage to use the long life oil when servicing, otherwise they'll use normal oil and your gonna have to get it serviced every 15k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yellow012 wrote:
    If its a MK2 Octavia they come with long life oil and for the first service the indicator usually come's on around the 30k mark or after 1 year, whichever comes first. If the garage that serviced it used long life oil then the 2nd service interval would be 60k approx. If they didn't use the long life oil then the next service interval would be 45k and they will have reset the onboard computer to go from variable service intervals to fixed service intervals.
    From my experience you need to tell the garage to use the long life oil when servicing, otherwise they'll use normal oil and your gonna have to get it serviced every 15k.
    yellow, my mates A4 specifies that it ONLY uses the long life oil and hence services only every 30k km.
    But like I said, some of these engines can take both, so you would need to check the manual with the car which will tell you what yours will accept

it must be a Mk2 Octy if it was bought new last year

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Lex Luthor wrote:
    yellow, my mates A4 specifies that it ONLY uses the long life oil and hence services only every 30k km.
    But like I said, some of these engines can take both, so you would need to check the manual with the car which will tell you what yours will accept

Regarding oil types to use there are two model designations for Octavias.
    Vehicles with fixed service intervals (QG0, QG2)
    Models with flexible service intervals (QG1) which uses Long Life oil.
    Replacement LL Oil has to meet these specs
    VW 506 01 (only for engines without diesel particle filter)
    VW 507 00
    All Octavias imported to Ireland through MDL are QG1.

My understanding of why they ship Octavias with fixed service intervals to some countries is to do with the availability/affordability of long life oil in the market where they are selling the cars.
    From my own experience I know Its hard enough to find it in Ireland unless you live near a Halfords plus the LL oil is over twice the cost of the normal stuff.
    If Skoda (or VW/Audi) are selling cars to countries where there could be issues getting LL oil they are going to ship it with the normal oil and set it up with fixed service intervals of 15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks guys. Jury is a bit split. The car is 06 - late Jan last year. I was told the last time it was serviced that they'd used long life oil. Starting car now at 45k it says service due. Manual is a bit vague - says it could need a check at 45 for the likes of new oil - which is something you could do yourself. The main issue here I'm afraid is that I simply don't trust my local service provider / dealer and that trust is hard won and easily lost.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Lex Luthor wrote:

Not necessarily - they're still selling the Mk 1, as the Octavia Tour

No matter what anyone says about long-life oil, I say its better to change the oil a lot earlier - 15k km is more than enough, particularly if you're doing anything other than long journies at stable engine speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks guys. Jury is a bit split. The car is 06 - late Jan last year. I was told the last time it was serviced that they'd used long life oil. Starting car now at 45k it says service due. Manual is a bit vague - says it could need a check at 45 for the likes of new oil - which is something you could do yourself. The main issue here I'm afraid is that I simply don't trust my local service provider / dealer and that trust is hard won and easily lost.

Cheers. :)

It's longlife (QG1 option that yellow mentions) - no doubt about it. It now depends on whether the last service agent used the correct oil. If he did (you'd know cos it's expensive) then just wait for the SID to tell you when it needs a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

To update the tale, I brought the Octavia in for its service today. The service agent was surprised that I was bringing it in after 45K, having had a first service at 30K, and his question was where long life oil was used in its first service. I'm sure it was so I guess its a case of the previous service people being a bit cute in setting the service interval to 45K when it needn't have been.

Advertisement