Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual Spider

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

looks like a black widow..........!

mmmmmm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

it does a bit, but im not sure the rear section is bulbous enough. it's still there anyway, I might try and get a better shot of it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

A clearer shot would help a bit...:)

Try catching it and taking the photo. I doubt it is a widow though... for your sake!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

You would know if it’s a widow if its belly has a bright red "hour glass" feature. They have the ability to survive in this country and I wouldnt be surprised if they get here with warmer the climates. The Australian version called the "red back" has already been spotted in Japan. http://www.whatsthatbug.com/widow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Interesting - any follow up on this? It's a bit worrying as the original poster has said nothing which makes an arachnophobia sufferer like me worried that it has turned out to be a black widow and had a nibble on him/her while checking on it. I hope it's not a black widow - I might have to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Pick carefully cos those things live all over the world :)

Ah, it was not in fact a black widow. Similar looking indeed but no telltale hourglass marks or other patterning. Also smaller and different shaped legs.

I think it's still there actually. I've kinda grown attached to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

mloc wrote:

I think it's still there actually. I've kinda grown attached to it.

That would probably be it's web :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

So long as it doesn't become attached to you you'll be alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

AH HA!

It may be s spider that I discovered the last year in my garden and in ever increasing numbers. I actually only found out for sure what spider is is because there was a report of it on Sky News teletext service tonight. http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1263904,00.html

If it is the same spider, it's called a "false widow" because it's often mistaken for a Black Widow. It also has quite a nasty bite (but not as serious as a regular Black Widows)

Their webs are a mesh which are anchored by several strong strands. I found one last year in my lanmowers grass collector and it measured more that 1ft by 1ft!

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2006/november/news_10051.html

its still outside actually. this warm spell seems to be keeping it happy. ill have another look at it and see.

right, i dont think its a widow, false or otherwise. It's only about an inch leg to leg, and is almost all black apart from two white flecks at the top of the thorax. no other notable markings. lives in shade during the day, small enough web i guess.

ok, update on this. it's still there... any idea. better pic below...

Must be over a year old now. He's a shy little guy.

spider2br7.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are the legs longer on the left side than the right?

Nope, I think thats just the camera perspective.

Advertisement