Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football boot issues!

• 25-03-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I bought a new pair of Nike MVII's which set me back the best part of €100 but after appearing to overcome the 'breaking in' period the boots are literally shredding my heel’s mainly the left one.

I bought the boots because i needed a new pair and my last ones were almost identical but had blades instead of studs. I have tried wearing plasters etc but these are only effective up to say half-time and then its all downhill from there.

I have had a lot of problems with my feet lately mainly the skin pealing off the balls of my feet after astro training and problems with bruising on my toes. I’m baffled, any suggestions???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get a pair of Adidas, i find Nike try to change the shape of my foot even with runners they look nice but give your curvy feet.

Adidas are flatter also Umbro rather than the s shaped nike boot.

Or you could boil them and put them on warm will change the shape of them but will ruin any niceness they have.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

good advice - i used nike for a good long while but found my toes got bruised and progressively more painful as the months went on. Ive renewed my nikes a few times but then i tried Adidas for a wee change and hey - presto.

My toes are better, the boots take impact far better and im less likely to get shin splints too. Only bugger is blister on the ball of the foot but how to cure that is a mystery.

Main thing is though - get boots that dont try to cramp your feet into the shape of the boot like the nikes... adidas feel far more natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

more of a gaelic player but puma king are top class i wouldnt wear anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi-Tec ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Plastic Nikes for me from now on, fitted like a glove from the first time I put them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you've got problems with the balls of your feet then put vaseline on the bottom of your socks before a game. It stops the friction between your feet and the boots.

As for your feet feeling cramped and getting bruised, well if you switch to adidas then don't get Copa Mundials as they are one of the narrowest boots around. Go for the already mentioned Puma Kings or some sort of Reebok boot. Both are a lot wider across the top and will give more space for your toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Always have this problem but is generally pre-season and the first few weeks of the season. I've found its not really the boot thats the problem. Try and but a boot with a cushioned/padded heel instead of the leather one.

As Xavi says, use vaseline. I put vaseline on my foot, on two pairs of socks (always find the football socks too thin so wear two) and in the boot. Works a treat although you use loads of vaseline. I'd always have it on the sideline so i could top up at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

never used vaseline before so will give that a shot myself. it doesnt feel awkward with regards to slipping and sliding no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

odonnell wrote:
    never used vaseline before so will give that a shot myself. it doesnt feel awkward with regards to slipping and sliding no?

Not at all, well once your boots aren't half a size too big. The vaseline just prevents the hard rubbing of your feet against the insoles of the boots. Your feet will move with the vaseline just as they would without but the friction won't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Personally never used Vaseline but always wear leather boots, first New Balance and more recently Umbro. I have small feet and a half-size and Umbro fit perfectly.
    One pair of ordinary white sport socks, shin pads with ankle support and then football socks over them. No problems with blisters or flaky skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

odonnell wrote:

No no problems for me anyway. I was fitted for a pair of orthotics (special insoles) for €250 a few years back to try and solve this problem. It can be down to the way you run i.e. what part of your foot comes under the most stress on impact with ground blah blah blah.

They didnt work and actually caused me more problems as i was runnning a different way to what i was used to.
    Moral of the story is, prevention is a better cure so go with the vaseline!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

dceire wrote:

I bought the boots because i needed a new pair and my last ones were almost identical but had blades instead of studs.

I have had a lot of problems with my feet lately mainly the skin pealing off the balls of my feet after astro training and problems with bruising on my toes.

are you using studs on astro turf?

moulded studs or clip in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

had exactly the same problem with every pair of boots I've bought. My current ones being the new TUNITS. Found if I apply handcream like atrixo to the balls of my feet 30mins before playing football it minimises the blisters/peeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Best boots I've ever had were usually just €40 Umbro ones. Spending more money on boots is fck all use imo.

Advertisement