Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some generic alarm installation questions

Options
  • 25-03-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Will try keep this brief - considering installing a house alarm (getting close to last house on the road without one, not a comfortable feeling). A couple of questions:

- how easy / difficult is it likely to be to fish wires through the ground floor ceiling from the panel to some PIR locations (hall/kitchen/sitting room) that weren't prewired? I believe good practice is not to share cable routes with mains cables, so getting through joists will be fun. All 3 PIRs to be located at close locations, so 1x cable run should be almost enough.

- will shock/inertia sensors be good enough for windows & patio door or will contacts be required as well? Will a door contact be good enough for the front door (no glass) or does it need inertia too?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not sure about the cable running question, but a contact sensor is sufficient for front door abut for any dorrs/windows at the back or side of the house, I would double up and use a contact & inertia sensor on each one. Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks - would that be 1x shock sensors per window frame or 1x shock sensor per ope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Hey Dil,

About how easy running the cables will be, I'd say fairly handy but it's completely different in most houses, so can't say for certain.

A door contact will work fine on your front door (unless they cut a big hole in it with a chainsaw and leave the magnet in position;) ) but not your patio door.
    To be safe, put a shock and door contact on the patio (because of the window), or an M.C contact, which is the two combined.

And a shock sensor will work grand on the windows. You only need one per window not opening as they have a 2 meter radius of detection. But if you have the funds for it, M.C contacts on the windows would be safer as they protect the opening aswell.

Good luck.

Hey Skel :)
    Thanks for the reply - not familiar though with the term MC contact - can you explain? Also, I was hoping to use HKC equipment - do they provide MC contacts, do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Hey,

Good choice with HKC. Probly best on the market. An M.C is basically just shock sensors with a reed switch (magnetic contact).

Say you use shock sensors, but forgot to close the window, someone could still get in. Or if you use a normal magnetic contact on the opening, someone could just smash the window and it wouldn't go off. An M.C is like a two in one deal, so you get best of both worlds, and much safer.

Edit/ Oh yeah, HKC do make M.C contacts. Just ask whoever you use to buy your stuff and they should know what your on about. They will be pricier but it's worth it in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

One shock sensor per window frame and one contact every opening

Great stuff guys - thanks for the advice. Will prob buy from National Electrical Wholesalers as HKC don't have any wholesalers in the South East. Still a bit worried about installing the PIRs, but sure sometimes its a matter of being brave in such things!

Advertisement