Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Game ? ?

Options
  • 25-03-2007 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Okay guys ,
    Heres the deal : I played FFX on my friends PS2 , Liked it so I bought FFX-2 ..... TBH I fell in love with FFX-2 ..... I thought it was brill , Actually it was first game i totally finished (Not including side quests) , So Now my question : With all that in mind , What FF game should I play now ?
    I payed the acclaimed FF VII but TBH after playing FFX-2 , I couldest stand the gfx AND I AM KILLING MYSELF BECAUSE I CANT PLAY THE NEW FF GAME FOR PS2 , Sniff I now have an Xbox 360 but i still have my Ps2 but I cant bring myself to bring it out and buy the new game , basically because I might get disappointed with the gfx . I KNOW terribly shallow, I love the story line as much as the next guy (I cried in the scene with Yuna and Tidus in the pond-thing :p ) but yknow , ITS KILLING ME :(:( ..... So Now with all that info , Which FF game so far would suit me ? ?

Thanks alot in advance,
    Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

seriosly finish ffx its worth it, excellent game. ffvii has a super storyline and the great game play more than makes up for the dated graphics. then comes ffviii which is fairly good, graphics are fairly ****e but the story is good.
    they would be my top three x, vii, viii.
    ffxii isnt that great, super battle system (no random battles) but the storyline is lacking. ffvi is very good (although i haven't finished it) but the graphics are 2d, which i find cool its like playing gameboy on the ps. frankly, i thought ffx-2 was utter ****e, it did not appeal to me at all. and ffix the less that is said about that the better.
    thats basically my opinion of the ff series on playstation. hope it helps, but it probably doesn't;P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

sme wrote:
    and ffix the less that is said about that the better.

No! More the better! FFIX was the best!

And you should really give the older games a shot. Much more substance (not my opinion, simply fact). Graphics are the only thing FFX has over it's predecessors

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The FF games series is so good that it's more a case of which ones to avoid.

FFVIII is as shallow as a paddling pool in terms of story and the battle system is crap but it is fun.

FFII on the NES is horrible.

I don't know how you could like FFX-2, pure muck.

Not a big fan of FFXII but it isn't terrible, just really boring at times.

I really don't understand the hatred some people have towards FFIX. I loved it. It was great fun with a great battle system and characters although the plot was a bit weak, a great throw back to FF's of old.

For me the best in the series in FFVI. It looks gorgeous for a 2D game has an excellent story and is buckets of fun to play.

You really should give FFVII a go. Graphics might be crap nowadays but you are just denying yourself one of the best games ever created.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

I recently revisited final fantasy vii ( i got the pc version to play on my laptop on train journeys) and its even more brilliant than I remembered. Graphics may be dated (and reduced quality for the pc) but the gameplay/story/depth/music are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Retr0gamer wrote:
    For me the best in the series in FFVI. It looks gorgeous for a 2D game has an excellent story and is buckets of fun to play.

You really should give FFVII a go. Graphics might be crap nowadays but you are just denying yourself one of the best games ever created.
    I agree, those two stood out for me as being the best of the series.

tbh though, its a credit to the FF series itself that so many people have different favourites. If you want to find out which would be the best for you, you're pretty much going to have to try almost all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

keeffe2001 wrote:
    I recently revisited final fantasy vii ( i got the pc version to play on my laptop on train journeys) and its even more brilliant than I remembered. Graphics may be dated (and reduced quality for the pc) but the gameplay/story/depth/music are amazing

The graphics are much better on the PC. The problem is with the backgrounds. They were originally rendered in 320x240 but they look crap and blocky when playing on a crisp monitor at 640x480 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i'm surprised that nobody has mentioned ffxi, is this not any good or do people not count a mmorpg as a part of the ff series?

also, for those lucky enough to have a ds, ffiii is out may 4th. or you could import from the states. afaik you can use u.s. games on eu devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well ff7 is a must, how can ye let graphics get in the way of that experience?

BTW if you were playing the pc version and graphics got to ye then maybe ye should get the playstation version and play it using an emulator. I played and finished it with zero problems and the graphics were really smooth and way better than playstation.

sme wrote:
    i'm surprised that nobody has mentioned ffxi, is this not any good or do people not count a mmorpg as a part of the ff series?

Because it's rubbish compared to WoW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Play ix!! play ix!!! it's fantastic!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Alot of people i've spoken to agree that there are two levels of FF fans. you have your graphics buffs who buy it because generally, the newest FF has surreal graphics, and then there is the story buff who usually find themselves travelling back in time through the series to find another amazing story. I would suggest you try the latter because if you remain searching only for superior graphics, as Retr0gamer said, you'll be denying yourself some of the greatest games that have been released. i recommend playing final fantasy VII and X, to me they combine a fabulous storyline with fun gameplay. And if you feel yourself becoming drawn to the series, i def suggest VII with all the games drawing their storyline from the VII's as a foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

FFXI was a decent game for its time, I think that was the first MMO that I picked up pretty much because it had the Final Fantasy name plastered to it. I found that the game was only fun (to me) because it was Final Fantasy. Since then I've gone on to play pretty much all MMO's on the market, I came back to FFXI and it just felt weird after playing other ones. Unless your an avid MMO or FF fan I wouldn't recommend that you play it because you might be disappointed when compared to the other MMO's out there.

In my opinion FFVII is the best, I think it had the best characters, most in depth story, amazing music and even the graphics hold up for a 10 year old game. I love them all, but I have the best memories of VII. The only one I think I have a problem with was probably FFIX, the game was amazing up toward the end and then it just hit rock bottom at the end of the 4th disc, I won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil it, but anyone that's played it will know what I'm talking about.

All of them are worth playing really, RPG heaven lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Only one mention of VI? I am shocked and appalled. And no mention of V? Shocked and appalled.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was the same when I first played vii on the pc last year but one my friends told me that it was worth and it was. After a while you won't give a damn about the graphics you'll be too engrossed in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

im with most ppl, 7.(VII if you must..)

its the best game ever made. seriously

no other game will ever have the emmotional hold on you that 7 does. it can make you laugh cry or scream just by changing the music.

if youve played it through you will always love it. and it makes advent children fookin savage.

just to see them keep dropping characters is cool. that scene with bahamut is class just cause every chr arrives one by one, and evry time your like... MAAD i love vincint/yuffie/cid/etc

great story great gameplay great revisitability. just.. great game

also the most expensive game ever made at the time.. a now paltry $4M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

VII for me is best. It was the very first game I got for the PS and I'd heard nothing about it at the time. I rapidly became engrossed in it and I can safely say it is the best game I've ever played.

What took me by surprise was the sheer scale of the game. I'd never played an RPG before and I didn't know what was going on really. I thought the whole game was going to be based in Midgar but then you get outside and see the world map. Then you get to Kalm and Cloud tells his story... amazing.

FFVI is also very good. Great story, probably 2nd/3rd best in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

VII best game ever......my personal favourite game of all time....
    where can i get a copy for the pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

this is the order i would rank the final fantasy games:

ff 7
    ff 10
    ff12
    ff8
    ff9
    ffx2

Anima wrote:

What took me by surprise was the sheer scale of the game. I'd never played an RPG before and I didn't know what was going on really. I thought the whole game was going to be based in Midgar but then you get outside and see the world map. Then you get to Kalm and Cloud tells his story... amazing.

Uggh that scene has to be one of the worst in the game. Especially if you ever feel the need to replay the game.

grimloch wrote:
    Uggh that scene has to be one of the worst in the game. Especially if you ever feel the need to replay the game.

Always liked that scene, especially when we find out the truth behind it later on.
    just to see them keep dropping characters is cool. that scene with bahamut is class just cause every chr arrives one by one, and evry time your like... MAAD i love vincint/yuffie/cid/etc

Now that there is a terrible scene.

• Advertisement

Uggh that scene has to be one of the worst in the game. Especially if you ever feel the need to replay the game

I don't see how you could like FF7 and not like that scene.

Maybe I'm just annoyed that Tifa kept her mouth shut for absolutely no apparent reason and unnecessarily prolonged the game for hours.

Things like that scene, the Dessert Prison and Mount Nibel are what prevent me from replaying the game again.

The desert prison is annoying alright. I don't mind the Mount Nibel bit except for the mega hard boss there, such a chore fighting him.

The part with scaling the tower in midgar really pisses me off...i keep a save just after that on the world map for replaying.

You don't have to scale the tower, you can go in the front a fight a few easy battles. Thought scaling the tower the first time was funny especially the dialogue between the characters. You also have to climb the correct number of stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

AFAIR there was also some loot in the tower which if you didn't get then wasn't available until about the 4th disk.

The bits that really annoyed me was the part where you had to wave tifa and barret passed the guards or the climbing up from the slums

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Blowfish wrote:
    AFAIR there was also some loot in the tower which if you didn't get then wasn't available until about the 4th disk.

Yeah it was cait sith's ultimate weapon wasnt it ? In one of the locker rooms. (This is the Shinra HQ we're talking about right ?)

ec18 wrote:
    The bits that really annoyed me was the part where you had to wave tifa and barret passed the guards or the climbing up from the slums

The correct way of dealing with this bit is to get caught and fight them four times, after that they disappear.

• Advertisement

Yeah i know but it's still a pain to do fight 8 times to get across between stairs or lifts

Advertisement