Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw cutting off

Options
  • 26-03-2007 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

my car keeps cutting off if i apply the clutch over 1000 RPMs????and sometimes need to start three times get the engine working!!!!the engine is 99 vw golf 1.4,so anyone can tell me what is the problem???

ps. the sensor is ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

How are you so sure the sensor is ok?
    I would say the MAF (mass air flow) sensor is prob either in need of a clean or replacement.
    Its common problem with late 90s/early 00s VWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

2 things to check before replacing any parts. 1. Ensure the pipe that ducts warm air over the exhaust (intake air pre heat) is intact. If it is not then it could well be the cause of your car cutting out. 2. Have the throttle body cleaned and reset - this is a common fault in VWs. In order to reset the throttle body, a diagniosis machine will need to be hooked up so it might be an idea to interrogate the fault memory at the same time to see if anything else is amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

Hey Liyefei,

I have no answers for you, but this has started happening to my car too (vw golf, 1.4, 2000). I haven't put enough thought into it to realise what RPMs this happens at, but it really annoying, especially as when the car cuts out, so does my power stering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭liyefei

Especially When U Turn The Corner!!!when The Power Steering Gone,really Dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Sounds very like a dirty throttle body. Have it cleaned and see what happens.
    How long is it since the car was serviced properly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭liyefei

was serviced last autum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Same used to happen with my 1.6 version from 2000 - very alarming with the power steering siezing up! Anyway, the throttle body was the cause, but was a design fault with no proper solution. Only way to live with it was to have it cleaned every 4000miles approx. Poor show from VW for not comming up with a solution.

Advertisement