Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for a sale of a house to go through?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I bought a house 4 weeks ago today.. I’m not in a house chain and either is the occupants of the house. Our Mortgage was approved 2 weeks ago.
    When I rang the yesterday they said it could be another 6 to 8 weeks.
    Has any1 any idea how long it usually takes for a sale of a second hand house to go through

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

We bought a second hand house last year. Got sale agreed the end of February, and didn't get the keys to the house until the end of June. There was some delay on the vendor's part because they were waiting for their house to be completed, but even so, it was the start of June before the contracts were signed. At the time I posted on here asking if this type of delay was normal and people seemed to think it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Assume summer . If you want to hurry them give them a "completion date" and a non performance penalty clause or you walk away or both .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It can be delayed by anything, ours was delayed beacuse firstly the other peoples sale fell through so they did not have a house to move to, then they were using a different solicitor to the last time so there was solicitors not talking to each other and crap like that... then my solicitor finds out there is a second mortgage listed on the house so will not let it go ahead until thats figured out (or i would be in trouble).

All in all i think it was about 5 months after sale agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sale agreed end july 2006 , completed End November 2006.

Buyers house sale fell through and other stories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

for both parties not to be in a chain, you would expect 6 weeks to be the max for closing. I recently went sale agreed in first week of Feb and sale agreed 5 weeks later. Both parties were chain free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

pardon my ignorance,

But if I want to buy, and have all my ducks in a row, and assuming they want to sell and have all their ducks in a row...

Why does it take so long?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

You may have all your ducks, but others tend not too.

A simple exchange of letters between solicitors can take a week, so if there are minor queries then this can add a crazy amount of time onto the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

pardon my ignorance,

But if I want to buy, and have all my ducks in a row, and assuming they want to sell and have all their ducks in a row...

Why does it take so long?

Solicitor Duck was at the ryder cup

Buyer ducks went on holiday

Said Same buyer ducks solicitor Duck was useless

Buyer Ducks house fell through

Buyer Ducks did not have the purchase finalised buy original Buyer ducks solicitor

Today was the first time I heard of a 5 week sale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Zambia232 wrote:
    Today was the first time I heard of a 5 week sale
    I had all my ducks in a row...what delayed it was getting the management company to get their ducks in a row, otherwise it could have been quicker.
    My buyer also had cash and no need for mortgage so it was the most painless process I have had to go through.
    Cant say the same for the new house....put my deposit down in Sep '05 and still waiting to sign....

Maybe I've set 2 new records :rolleyes:

Advertisement