Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd/Unusual Aircraft in Ireland

Options
  • 26-03-2007 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just starting this thread leading on the the AN225 thread.

If anyone has seen any wierd/unusual aircraft in Ireland then let us know about it.

Any spotters out there if you want to include unusual aircraft as in from far-flung places then feel free .......

Photos would be good .

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When Clinton visited for the first time I was living quite close to the Phoenix Park and got a very good view of the Chinooks carrying his motorcade flying over. Do they count as unusual enough for Ireland? No pics though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

If you were around Dublin Airport when the Electra below landed, you might have got yourself on GE! :D I believe it's one of Air Atlantique's Coventry-based examples.
    Electra.jpg

Btw, check out the Flying In Ireland site for photos of the C47/Dakota that visited recently. A beautiful classic aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

zaph wrote:
    When Clinton visited for the first time I was living quite close to the Phoenix Park and got a very good view of the Chinooks carrying his motorcade flying over. Do they count as unusual enough for Ireland? No pics though, sorry.

Was it Wokka's that brought the Motorcade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I remember the Carvairs in Southend ........ great idea .

I saw a flying boat at Weston last summer , Ill be honest my knowledge of older aircraft is limited , no idea what it was :-( Happy to be enlightened

I occasionally see all sorts of strange things going in/out of there esp since it was taken over and built up by Mr CityWest Mansfield.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:
    Was it Wokka's that brought the Motorcade?

Well I presume it was the motorcade in them being brought to other parts of the country. I can't think of anything else that they'd need something that big for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in summer of 2001 saw one of those twin roter transport helos near the IFSC, remember wondering why it was there

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

zaph wrote:
    Well I presume it was the motorcade in them being brought to other parts of the country. I can't think of anything else that they'd need something that big for.

I know it was the CH53E Super Stallions that brought the Well Dressed MIB's.

silverharp wrote:
    in summer of 2001 saw one of those twin roter transport helos near the IFSC, remember wondering why it was there

Yes that would be the Boeing Chinook or as they are commonly know by the RAF as "Wokka's" due to the noise of the Rotors wokka wokka wokka:)

Steyr wrote:
    I know it was the CH53E Super Stallions that brought the Well Dressed MIB's.

That would have been the other big choppers with the Chinook. Couldn't think of what they were.

• Advertisement

What a beast! Nicknamed the "Hurricane Maker" due to the incredible downward thrust created.

1-25.jpg

2-16.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I remember a Chinook flying in and out of Cork Airport around the time of the Air India disaster off west Cork a few years ago.

Hi,

Went past Weston yesterday , the Seaplane is back , looks like a Grumman type thingie ... Goose or similar ......

Any experts in the back row willing to enlighten me ?

Also sitting in Weston yesterday ..... beech 18 (or variant of )

Have to dust off my anorak !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gablin

I remember seeing the fuselage of a Catalina last year in Weston, I beleive it's still there somewhere.

Davidth88 wrote:
    Also sitting in Weston yesterday ..... beech 18 (or variant of )

This one perchance? It's resident at Weston. Beautiful machine.

could be , I can't see that photo for some reason :(

Don't know why, I can see it fine. I don't want to copy it over here as it's a FlyingInIreland photo.

The registered owners are Weston Airport and it's silver overall with USAF markings and a blue band with white stars running diagonally mid-fuselage.

yes thats the one !

As you say nice machine.

I actually enjoy getting the bus into town on the occasions I do , like a child I sit on the top deck looking across the airfield at Weston.

On a totally different thread , the restaurant in the tower is pretty good ( Middle Eastern Cuisine )

Advertisement