Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Boards - Options

Options
  • 26-03-2007 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi

What are my options for wooden window boards (new build).
    I want a natural wood look so MDF is out and I don't want pine or red deel as I don't want the Knotty look.

I presume it's possible to get boards in oak etc

Who would be the best supplier for this, i'm in Dublin but don't mind travelling a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id try http://www.woodworkers.ie/
    They can probably give you rough boards that you can finish yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

You can get clear pine untreated window boards which don't haveknots and you can then stain them or varnish them to whatever darkness/tint you desire. Alot cheaper than oak. Don't forget window boards will darken with sunlight so don't use to dark a stain

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

I agree with Fatchance. For a recent room renovation we stained our new untreated pine window boards cherry colour to match the floor and did the same with a thick pine board across the mantlepiece. It worked really well, but we had to try a couple fo stains first to get a good match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SimonH

I have just installed White Oak Wooden Window Boards, got them made by the same guy who is making my staircase (To match). Make sure you treat/protect the boards once fitted, otherwise you will stain the boards when plastering and will have to paint over.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Buy an oak butcher block counter top from one of the kitchen companies. You can get them in 900 x 4200 lengths. Get it delivered to a local joinery shop and give them the dimensions of the window boards that you want cut from the worktop. They will cut up for you and then you can collect and fit yourself!

I did it recently and they look the biz!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement