Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Road Possible Opening date

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wonder what the opening ceremony speeches will be like!? Will the Minister and County council thank the contractors for their wonderful and hard work over the past 3 years of construction :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Electronic sign on the comer road says b.foyle road closed/diversion until 19th october...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Licksy wrote:
    Electronic sign on the comer road says b.foyle road closed/diversion until 19th october...
    That ballyfoyle bridge is nearly done, there widening that whole road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I saw that from the golf club side yesterday - a load of the trees/embankment on the right are now gone, you can see the sky where before it was blocked out by the trees.

Theres going to be a foot path going down there aswel. They well need one, I nearly got flattened plenty of times. I would supose there putting street lights there aswel.

• Advertisement

Licksy wrote:
    Isn't it supposed to be opened in October, but only the section from the Hebron Road to the Castlecomer Road and then the rest to the Carlow road will be next year?
    Of course, although this will be some help, it will still suck a lot until the rest is added to it.... and then, ffs, build a new bridge over the river and complete the ring, take people out of the centre who don't want to be there, giving good access to the hospital into the bargain... bah

Course if KK Borough council/county council had any vision for the development of KK palns would be well advanced for crossing between Talbotsinch and Dunmore to complete the 'ring' road,and onto the Callan road.
    Instead we are not yet where we should have been 10-15 years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

mfitzy wrote:
    Course if KK Borough council/county council had any vision for the development of KK palns would be well advanced for crossing between Talbotsinch and Dunmore to complete the 'ring' road,and onto the Callan road.
    Instead we are not yet where we should have been 10-15 years ago....

I dont agree. Its a waste of time and money, The only thing out that way is the road to Limerick.

Its daft to bypass a town on both sides.

I dont agree. Its a waste of time and money, The only thing out that way is the road to Limerick.

Its daft to bypass a town on both sides.

the road to limerick? What d f**k!!! It's the main link road to the N8 Dublin-Cork road from KK and busier than many national routes in the country.
    You reckon it would be better to leave the Greensbridge area clocked with traffic....bizzare. Completing the ring road would stimulate growth in that side of town and open it up. How could that be a waste of time and money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I concur. The only way to curb the 1 sided expansion of the town is to have proper forward planning, and the completion of the full ring around Kilkenny, would be a massive step in the right direction. A "village" is already planned for that side of Kilkenny, and the wise step of course would be to provide the infrastructure before the thousands of houses are built.

Last section at Carlow road roundabout being tied in now..should be a belated Christmas present for Kilkenny now! New railline in place I am told.

Good progress finally being made on Kilkenny's abysmal road network;
    -N9 Carlow to knocktopher earmarked for funding to start in 2008
    -N8 Cullahill to Cashel (bypassing Johnstown/urlingford)making great progress

These will transform Kilkenny forever and boast the county no end with first class raod access to Dublin, Waterford and Cork and all the towns in between...

• Advertisement

The bridge at Ballyfoyle Rd looks almost complete now too. I believe I saw them laying tarmac on it on Friday. They also surfaced the section of the ring road below it where it connects to the new roundabout on the Comer Rd.

Stephen wrote: »
    The bridge at Ballyfoyle Rd looks almost complete now too. I believe I saw them laying tarmac on it on Friday. They also surfaced the section of the ring road below it where it connects to the new roundabout on the Comer Rd.
    I say they'll have that bridge done next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

does any body know when there goin to pull the finger out and finish the bloody ring road finally, night mare tryin to get in and out of town now with mc donagh junction open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

mfitzy wrote: »
    Last section at Carlow road roundabout being tied in now..should be a belated Christmas present for Kilkenny now! New railline in place I am told.

Is that this Christmas? I doubt it unless they can expedite the safety checks that need to be completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

dougal wrote: »
    Is that this Christmas? I doubt it unless they can expedite the safety checks that need to be completed.

"Belated Christmas present." Ie. after Christmas sometime. Which could be anytime really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Jonnie Orchard

They Seem to have started laying the TarMac on the bridge over the railway track, The end could be soon in sight!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Christ, this project is way over due. What are there reasons for the delay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Christ, this project is way over due. What are there reasons for the delay?

contractor walked off the project twice due to a row with Kilkenny Co. Co.

seems a bit like the spat between Kingston Construction and Galway City Co over the revamp of Eyre Square in Galway whcih took years to complete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Anyone know whats happening just past the ESB substation on the Carlow (n10) rd .Looks like the groundworks for the M9 Kilkenny bypass has started,is'nt that where the junction for the Kilkenny link rd will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

any word yet on a possible opening date? or even if it will be this year or next?

• Advertisement

just read in the kilkenny voice that it should be open by the end of dec :)

There seems to be a big push on to get this finished - lots of activity at the Carlow rd roundabout.

It may actually open this year yet.

The streetlights were all switched on on the new stretch from the Comer rd roundabout last night. I don't remember seeing them active before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I heard from two different sources last week, including KCLR, that it was going to be open on Tuesday this week, but they're obviously still working on it.

Saw them wiring up the street lights on the Carlow/Dublin road section today and they have road lines painted which is one of the last things they do. I'd say maybe Tuesday of next week at this stage.

It's like watchin a dog in pain at this stage! If they'd made any sort of burst at it it could have been finished weeks ago.
    And relying on KK coco (the supposed lead authority "in charge" of the project) to tell us when exactly it is going to open, i.e. a specific date, would be as useful as staring into a crystal ball....

Road markings were painted on the Castlecomer road end today. It looks finished to my untrained eye anyway!

NDP/Transport 21 signs up at Carlow road rdaboutnow...

road will open tues there's a charity walk on the road sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Any update on this?

Is it defo open tomorrow?

Anyone got any pics yet?

• Advertisement

road will open tues there's a charity walk on the road sunday :D

Confirmation of same on AARoadwatch.ie

Opening at 2pm. Happy motoring and drive safe!

Advertisement