Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly dog

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

My dog has recently started farting after she eats her dinner. It starts almost immediately after she's finished eating and continues for a few hours. She farts every few seconds and it smells horrible. I know she can't help it but I'd love if she would stop it! Any advice?

Also, my Mum has gone to Australia for 3 weeks so it's just me and the dog at home. Whenever my boyfriend stays over or when I've been gone out for a long time with the boyfriend the dog pees on the floor. Normally she pees right outside my bedroom door as if to say 'not going to give me attention? Well this is what I think about that!'. Now this infuriates me. She gets loads of attention from me whenever I'm home but it appears she's sulking when my boyfriend gets any undivided attention. How do I put a stop to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

You could change her diet in relation to her farting. Stay away from soft food and give her the complete dog nuts instead. I have found Pedigree products makes my dog fart so have change her feed and she is not doing it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

LMAO my god i havent laughed this much in a long time maybe you and bf shouldnt be in the bedroom dog keeping watch for mammy lol.But to be serious change his food "the dog not bf" dry dog food is so much better than can food,can food is 70-80%water look at the label

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There could be something up with her teeth. She may not be chewing the food properly, forcing her belly to do more breaking down causing more air...

Regarding the behavior... Are you showing her lots of attention when the bf is not around and then changing your behaviour when he is around? If so, maybe you should't show her as much attention when you are alone with her and then show her a bit more when the BF is around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ExMeath

try giving her charcoal biscuits with her food

get the boyfriend to make a fuss of her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Read back on what you just said about when you have been gone out a LONG time she pees! Of course she does wouldn't you if you had no where do go and were bursting!

Wind wise what are you feeding her? Most likely tinned food like ped chum?
    That can make them fart for Ireland.
    Switch to a better quality dry food like Burns or Royal Canine or I have heard good things about Red Mills. This should put a stop to that also as mentioned the charcoal biscuits.

If the change of diet doesn't work (introduce new food gradually) then a trip to the vets is in order to rule out anything more serious.

The dog could also be stressed by the fact your mother is away..does she give the dog a lot of attention?
    Boyfriends usually don't last a dog is your best friend forever so to test his commitment to you see if he will spend some quality time with the dog as well.:cool:
    The pair of you talking the pooch out for walkies (him holding the lead) will also help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

Does sound like too long between outings. I had an old beagle named Fella when I was a young boy. When he got older and could no longer tollerate the cold weather hunts he had to stay home and watch the house while we had the young hound out to the field. He made it a habit to always wet down something of mine. Boots, hat, anything available. Didn't seem to matter if we were out for a short or long time. Finally had to put him in a cage while we were out. At that age he just slept until we arrived home and then was treated special and fussed over upon our arrival. Much better for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I've taken on board the advice about the dog food.

Regarding her peeing, I want to defend myself a bit in case people get the wrong idea. When I say I have been out for a long time and then she pees I mean I have been out all day (at work etc.) come home, let her out her half an hour or so for a run and a pee and then let her back in. It is then that she pees. I let her out regularly but she is still peeing on the floor. She gets just as much attention when my boyfriend is around as she does when he's not and he loves her to bit. As soon as he arrives in he looks for her. He also takes part in feeding her and walking her just because he wants to. I just don't want you to think I'm neglecting her over the boyfriend. We both give her lots of attention, and that's why I can't understand her peeing on the floor.

I have established that she is upset because my Mum is gone, but I want to know how I can get her to stop peeing. I should have made that clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Certain dog foods nowadays are formulated to produce well-formed faeces, believe it or not. Sounds crazy I know, but it's true! There are other dog foods which are formulated to assist in gastrointestinal mobility and function. Ask in your pet shop or vets and they'll help you pick something out.

Does she ever urinate when you're out? Or when you're about to leave the house? She may be experiencing separation anxiety due to being left alone, and this can lead to innapropriate house soiling. Changes in routine can also lead to inappropriate house soiling.

Excitement may lead to urination, such as when you come home.

Does your dog ever show any signs of dominance towards your bf? Is she very territorial? Or does she urinate in the presence of your bf? Sometimes dogs will urinate as a sign of submission in front of others - it can be part of the 'appeasment ritual' of dogs, when they roll over on their backs when they meet a more dominant person. Submissive urination is most commonly seen in pups and young bitches.

Is she spayed? If she's not spayed and she's in heat, she may exhibit increased urination.

Does she urinate when she goes out? Keep an eye on her and check if she does. If she's constantly soiling the house and urinating a lot there may be a medical problem, although it does sound more like a behavioral problem in your case. If it persists, talk to your vet.

In the meantime, all you can do is try and figure out what is causing this (separation anxiety, submission, oestrus, etc.) and try and treat the cause, as well as establishing proper elimination habits. Let her out at regular times each day and feed her at regular times. Let her out once she's been fed; she'll have a reflex to eliminate then. Take her out for walks regularly and provide her with a chew or something to keep her busy while you're out. Excercise will help to relieve a lot of stress for her.

Advertisement