Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License - change of holder?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭

OK.. am in a bit of a connundrum and didn't know where this belong so mods, do feel free to move!

Am looking for a quick answer more than anything.

Have been in a new apartment since December and we get a lot of mail for the previous tenant so we normally just put it in a pile. So i gathered up her most recent pile last night and one letter slipped and i noticed "relates to the television apparatus held at <our address>" so i was apprehensive to open it as it wasn't in our name but it did mention our address and the television at it so it got the better at me.

It was a final notice for a television license renewal which expired at the end of February. The letter has probably been there for a week - was anxious to renew it as my girlfriend had a friend who was sent out a red letter soon after this (court appearance) but the TV license is still in the previous tenant's name. So i can't really renew it over the phone as it's automated as i want this changed to my name.

Do i need to get a form in the post office for this when i'm renewing it? Rang my local TV license office (as stated here) and got no answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nah ur grand. for all they know, ya dont have a telly.

jsut leave it and get a TV licence whenever ya can and it'l lbe in ur own name. When the TV Licence ppl see that the address has a new owner...well they'll prob still send ya them "final warning" letters but meh. dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for that B Man.

Probably go into the Post Office at lunch and sort it all out though.. just to have it off my mind.

EDIT: Got it sorted. Got through to the TV license office and he deleted the previous tenant's name off the address and added me in with a new account number so i've to just ask in the post office for a new application for my address and it should link up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Expired in February, you should have waited a few more months man. They send at least 5 or 6 letters before things start to get serious and even then a court summons won't turn up until after an inspector has called and they even need a Garda presence to inspect if there's a TV there. Any time I've moved address I get a few months before getting a license.
    had a friend who was sent out a red letter soon after this (court appearance)
    Those are just the warning that a court summons could turn up at some point.
    When the TV Licence ppl see that the address has a new owner...well they'll prob still send ya them "final warning" letters but meh.
    Nah, once there is a license at an address the system stops sending the reminders to the old tenant. You will get reminders in your name next year and it won't matter how long you wait, the license will be back dated to when this one expired so if you're staying you're as well renewing on time.

I know all this because my Dad used to be an inspector. Oh the shame :o But not nearly as shameful as not having a TV license...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

jor el wrote:
    I know all this because my Dad used to be an inspector. Oh the shame :o But not nearly as shameful as not having a TV license...
    haha I love it!

Advertisement