Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

drive london to Holyhead

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

im buying a car tomorrow in London how long will it take me to drive to holyhead from London City would 6 hours be ok to do it in ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Lets put it this way. It took 8 hours on the train last time i did it back in the 90's
    Probably quicker now with new motorways etc so 6 might be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

depends on the time of the day and where-abouts in london you will be starting from.

If you have to negotiate much of the M25 you could be stuck for hours .. but from the start of the M1 .. it's about 6 - 8 hours depending on regular stops, traffic and your speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I had a thread a few weeks ago dealing with Ferries and most people said this could be done in about 4hours, allowing for a number of coffee breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I brought back a car last Fri night from Watford to Birkenhead (Liverpool), for the overnight ferry. Took 3.5 hours to do the 310 kms........

Holyhead is a bit further, should take you about 4.5 hours. Make sure you're at the Ferry at least an hour before sailing.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'm made the trip in just under 4 hours (damn all traffic), but you should allocate around 4-5 hours, depending on tiredness, speed, day of the week, time of day etc.

RAC RoutePlanner says: 5hrs 12mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Going from Milton Keynes (1 hour closer to Holyhead than London) to Holyhead on a motorbike, in decent weather, I took 3.5 hours. In a car you could struggle.

The problem with the AA time is that, for a given journey, it will assume you are travelling at the maximum speed for each section of road. This can be quite difficult in some section on a bike let alone a car. Added to this, there are some road works on the motorway with speed reductions in place, I am not sure if the AA have taken this into consideration. And go for the M6 toll, it will cost you nearly a fiver but is well worth it is traffic is bad and you are in a hurry.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

As they said before depends where in London aslp bare in mind you dont know your way im guessing if your asking how long i have drove that many times to be safe i would say 6 to 7 hours bepends how often you stop use the toll M6 is worth the money if your hitting some traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

frm london city airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

And i'll be going to Walton on thames in Surrey (well its nearly London), so that should cut 40mins of so off.

I'll be driving down on a saturday afternoon, so traffic shouldnt be to bad (hopefully)

Thnaks for the tip about getting the ferry an hour early, i was planning on getting there a half hour before sail!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

5 hours 38 minutes according to the AA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

no sure where london city airport is but im guessing its in the centre ish i would still laeave 7 hours to give yourself a break on the way also M6 can be bumper to bumper at peak times not to mention M25 have you a sat nav for london or are you using a-z if so plan as much as you can also if you go into Pay control dont forget to pay you have to ring and pay by credit card saves getting fined

huh whats paycontrol do they not have a like toll bridge on the mororways i have sat nav in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

roughan wrote:
    frm london city airport
    Add roughly an hour to estimates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'll be driving down on a saturday afternoon, so traffic shouldnt be to bad (hopefully)

Don't forget about football traffic depending on where you go and when

going tomorrow morning

Advertisement